GQ Fuel Gauge

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 20:31
ThreadID: 19595 Views:3112 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Guys
Having a problem with my fuel gauge on my 89 GQ wagon not reading properly,after doing only 35-45K's after filling up it will read just above half and fluctuate between quarter and three quarters as fuel is used.
Could this be the sender, if so how much and how hard to replace.
Also I was looking to replace the oil in my fan hub but was told it was a sealed unit and I would have to buy a whole new assembly at $374 from nissan.
Cheers
Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 22:37

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 22:37
G'day Tony,
Sender is easy to get to if you haven't got any storage system etc in the cargo area. Just take off the aluminium strip along the back of the carpeted/vynal area and undo the 2 rear tie-down lugs. That should be enough for you to roll back the carpet/vynal to access the cover plate. Remove the plate and you will see the sender unit in the top of the tank. 4 small bolts (10mm heads I think). Clean any muck out first or it might fall into the tank when you lift it out.
Not sure how much a replacement sender or float set-up is.
As for the fan hub, I thought they were serviceable....the GU's can be pulled apart, but beware that the large skinny rubber "O" ring expands (ie: elongates) once it has air on it or dries out or something and is a real bitch to get back in. I don't believe you can buy a new o ring either.
I bought a new fan hub for my GU but I'm still not convinced it is working properly; I never hear it cut in like I used to hear on my previous (GQ).
AnswerID: 94002

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 22:38

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 22:38
Tony, check the plug to the sender unit and alsoif it has an earth, check its tight on the body. Maybe just a dirty connection , unplug and plug in again. You may be lucky. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 94003

Reply By: Frank - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 02:02

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 02:02
Tony, I had the same problem with my GQ '92. The sender works via a contact rod moving up and down along a copper wire coil. After removing the sender unit, I found that about 5mm of the coiled wiring had rubbed through. The gauge would not read when the tank got to about half full. I replaced mine with a second had unit.
If yours is a petrol model, You will have to strip the unit down as it is part of the fuel pump assembly. The job is not too difficult or complicated. The second hand unit cost me $20.

Regards
Frank.
AnswerID: 94017

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 07:33

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 07:33
Hey there Goosy :)

In regards to the viscous clutch spinning the fan - it's a real hit-and-miss thing to go replacing the silicone fluid. Some models (mine is a '91) have totally sealed units and even though I tried to separate mine I couldn't do it successfully. I bought a second hand unit from the local wrecker that was in good condition for $40 and it's been fine ever since. The VL Commodore had the same unit on it (mine's a 3-litre with the RB-30 engine). If you have the 4.2, then you should still look around. Try "Jap Wreckers" in Sydney - they ship o'nite to anywhere if you aren't near a large well stocked wrecker.

Cheers
Chris
AnswerID: 94020

Sponsored Links