Woo Hoo Tassie here we come

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 18:05
ThreadID: 19624 Views:2665 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We booked the Spirit of Tassie on the last day sailing in April, taking the full rig, passenger tickets on the day trip, port hole twin cabin on homeleg, $1042 all up.

4 weeks to see tassie and an easy trip Adelaide to Melbourne and Back.

Hope to see ome snow.

Regards to all

Russell

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Utemad - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 18:56

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 18:56
We just got back from Tassie. Big difference in temp between Tassie and Brissy. We saw snow (January) on top of Cradle Mount when we climbed it. Not much but snow in January all the same.
However I don't envy you at all having to tow your van. Lots of mountains to drive over and around. Straight roads are very few and far between. I spoke to one older couple who wished they had brought a tent however there were lots of people towing all the same. I had to laugh at one bloke. He's towing a tri-axle van with an old Hilux!!! His missus said they were finding it a bit of a struggle ROFLMAO.

Best tip I think would be to call ahead and book a van site (if using van parks) on the morning you travel to the site or the night before as we had trouble due to tourist season and daylight savings. As we often were out taking advantage of the light til 9pm only to find that some offices close at 7pm and the busier places are full anyway.

I'm sure you'll have heaps of fun.
AnswerID: 94138

Follow Up By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 19:09

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 19:09
Plan to travel main highways when towing stopping at Devonport, Launceston and Hobart, rest of tour on day trips without van. We will book ahead but are hoping late autumn will not be as busy.

Thanks for input

Regards
Russell

PS the Pajero got plenty grunt just uses more fuel when using it!!!
FollowupID: 353125

Follow Up By: Utemad - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 19:21

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 19:21
I heard some people say that they were going to tow everywhere but when they realised just how small Tassie was they changed to the method you are doing. I knew how small it was from looking at maps but I don't think it quite sunk in until we got there.

You'll appreciate that grunt as I had to do lots of gear changing to make up for my lack of it.

Make sure you go to Bruny Island too. Possible to do it as a day trip from Hobart but overnight would be better. We went for one night and ended up staying two. Lots of B&Bs etc if you don't want to take the van. Only $25 return with your car. Would be my highlight. Plus Port Arthur if your'e into convict stuff like I am.
FollowupID: 353128

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 19:53

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 19:53
You lucky bugger a beautiful place and if you want snow go to Cradle Mt they got buckets load of it there. If you can the west coast is great and the east too as specially around the Bay of Fires just magic, enjoy mate you'll love it.

Baz.
AnswerID: 94141

Reply By: Member - Andrew (Bris) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 21:18

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 21:18
Hope you have a great time.

We got back to Brisbane last week after five weeks in Tassie.

Fantastic place. Already made airline and hotel bookings for a short visit next December / January.

We didn't have any problems getting accomodation anywhere except during the christmas / new year silly season. Up till Christmas Day, no worries at all.

If the map shows that a trip should take an hour, double it to allow for the winding roads, and double it again to allow for the interesting things you'll see on the way.

Strahan to Queenstown - 39 kilometres , 296 bends in the road, and three straight bits. If you're towing a van, it will be in your side mirrors a lot more than in your rear-view mirrors.

Best things we bought were the jackets we bought on the spirit - the same ones the 'Spirit' staff were wearing. We'd been told how cold it could be, but were still totally unprepared.

Snowed on us December 27th on Mt Wellington.

Plenty of snow higher up in the Hartz area early January.

Unfortunately I've gone straight to Mount Isa for work. One extreme to the other.

I kept an online journal throughout our trip. Only got slack about updating it in the last week on the way home.

http://www.users.on.net/~pancho/index.htm
AnswerID: 94157

Follow Up By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 00:11

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 00:11
We've been reading your trip diary, you are a bit keen on some of your stunts, makes me envious, SWMBO is freaking out on some of your exploits and has stated quite clearly that we are not going to emulate some of your stunts. Hehehe.

Her motto is "if it ain't black turn back"

I'm with you

Regards

Russell
FollowupID: 353429

Sponsored Links