Jackaroo Roofrack Question

Submitted: Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 13:28
ThreadID: 19649 Views:2128 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I am looking at a pair (or 3) roof bars to go on a 2000 jackaroo to hold a car topper tinny. Have looked at the Rhino bars at ARB which cost a fortune.
Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative?
Has anyone used the inbuilt roof mounts? How easy is it to remove the bars once installed.
Does anyone have any bars they want to sell? :)

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 14:19

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 14:19
did the same as you - went into oppisite lock and found they were more expensive than I thought. By the time I decided to by them every place that sold roof racks for 80 series were closed for christmas. Not wanting to leave my canoe behind I got a set from kmart for $30 and they collapsed allowing my canoe to wear through the paint on the roof. For carrying a tinny on the roof down corrogations I reckon you shouldnt skimp - go with quality
AnswerID: 94271

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 14:38

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 14:38
LT

Don't know what State you're in but check the price at Roof Rack World or Roof Rack City.

The Rhinos are a very good choice, IMHO.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 94276

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 14:42

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 14:42
Hi LT
I have Thule on my Jack, 2 racks about $300 for the aero ones.I can put them on and off by myself in about 2 min. They don't use the inbuilt roof rails but sit on the outside, no marks or scrtaches are left on the roof. They are fully lockable, I also have a snowboard rack that bolts on, hold snowboards, skis and fishing rods ($300). Many accessories are available for Thule. I am currently making up a cage for them.
cheers
Crazie
AnswerID: 94278

Reply By: pmacks - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 14:44

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 14:44
Hi Lt,
when i had a jack we used the holden supplied roof racks that bolted into the existing mounts in the roof ( under the trim ) they were fine and we never had an issue with them but we did have the three bars to spread the load. They were a pain to put on and off so in the end we just left them on it use to take from memory about twenty minutes to remove them all and about an hour to get the bloody trim to go back on. You are right about the cost to at the time from holden they were about $600.00 for the three and were rated to 180 kg.Sorry no i do not still have them the insurance company owned them after the car cought fire, Oh well !!!!
Hope this helps
Pmacks
AnswerID: 94279

Reply By: D-Jack - Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 13:27

Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 13:27
Yep, my Jack came with 2 racks at rear useing existing bolt on supports. I would not use anything else for a boat on top. I got a 3rd one for front to support CB antenna, sand flag and to support rods in the rod holder on bull bar. Cost about $200, so $600 for a full set would be about right. Woudln't get cheapies and Rhino are up there with the best. Not difficult, just time consuming to unbold 12 bolts on the roof and then they need to replaced with racks off. If you've got 3 racks, you also have the option of getting a basket (1/2, 3/4 or full) to go with it for non-boating 4wd trips, for stuff like chairs, sleeping bags, 2nd and 3rd spare tyres, rod holders, fishing stuff and most importantly firewood! My basket is 3/4 and cost $400, heavy duty power coated.

To sum up, only use racks for existing supports and get good quality ones (roof rack world or similar in your state). You can also get rollers, tie down points etc for the racks for the tinnie.

Happy fishing.

D-Jack
AnswerID: 94395

Reply By: Member - Nobby - Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 18:19

Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 18:19
I have the Rhino racks on my jack and find them great. I leave the bracket screwed onto the car (ie under the cover strip) all the time and just screw the racks on when I need them. I have each rack marked so that it fits perfectly with the corresponding bracket and with the Allen key set up they have it takes me about 10min to do all three.
AnswerID: 94426

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 00:05

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 00:05
Go the rhino 'tradesman' racks using the inbuilt threaded inserts under the trim, they have different spacers so the three sit level. whack a set of rollers on the back rack.
AnswerID: 94484

Sponsored Links