Fraser Island Intinerary

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 19:41
ThreadID: 19705 Views:1972 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Planning a trip upto Fraser Is - last week in April or first few weeks in May.

Havent been there since i was a kid of 10, some 25years ago.

Can any one suggest a good interneiery for the island? We plan to spend 5 to 7 days or more. Travelling with the wife, a 5yo and 7yo in a dual cab triton (1995).

Would like to do a mix of camping plus a few nights in cabin or motel style acomodation - got some prices from some of the bigger resorts (ouch) - so cheaper style accomodation would be good? Do any of the private camping grounds have cabins? Kingfisher has a deal on rooms for $165 at present, so might sign up for a night of luxury - but some of the other accomodation (Eurong Beach resort and Frasers at Cathederal, sound rather bleak with a hefty price?)

We camp lightly so are happy to move camp each night, but would like to do a couple of nights camping, a night or two in a motel/resort, then some more camping etc

Thoughts on accomodation, routes. Pference to cross over at Inskip and then head home via Hervey Bay?

Additionally what are the island tracks like, only real sand driving experience is from the many trips to North shore/Double Is and Bribie Is.

Look forward to your suggestions
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: marcus - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 20:14

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 20:14
Hi Zebu,
We stayed at Eurong beach resort which we found to be very good.A large resort with accommodation from basic rooms to luxury apartments.Huge pool and restaurant at the resort with general store,fuel, bakery etc all as part of the complex.Centrally located on the island you can come in off the beach and pick up the inland tracks from the rear of th resort.These inland tracks are quite narrow and you should drive with care as it is often necessary to pull over to the side to allow for oncoming cars or buses to pass.Can have a look at eurong at
http://www.eurong.com/
cheers mark
AnswerID: 94564

Reply By: locallaw - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 21:08

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 21:08
Gidday,Whatever you do watch your kids and the dingoes.A young boy was killed a while ago when a dingo bit him.
Just my bit
Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 94572

Follow Up By: dano01 - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 21:29

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 21:29
The dingoes are now fairly shy, you might not even see one up there now as the rangers have been doing a program to make them more afraid of human inter-action. In the 4 weeks i spent up there last year i saw one and it was at sandy cape that is classed remote and no camping is allowed up there.
FollowupID: 353606

Reply By: Nick R - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 21:16

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 21:16
hey zebu,
Was up there last week, got there with almost no sand experience, a little at Robe and what I learned here. I had no trouble really, just a little soft in areas, indian head and some beach areas on the west side. Listen to what everyone says about tyre pressures, my lc80 was good on about 14 psi. Also listen to what they say about dingoes and you will have no trouble there either.
we saw accommodation up at Orchid Beach, looked mostly weekly rates but they might be more flexible in an off peak time, ring the shop, they may be able to help.
Our highlights were Woralie and Wathumba creeks, Lake Allom was nice as were the beaches above indian head. Didn't have time to do all the touristy stuff, sure it is good too.
the crossing behind Indian head was a lot of fun although i saw 2 troopies and a landrover stuck quite nicely, just use low 4 and second gear and keep revs up. worked for me anyway!!!
Island tracks were mostly fine, a few soft areas and lots of tree roots, averaged about 30kmh on the tracks I went on.
Have fun,
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 94574

Reply By: glenno(bris) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 07:36

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 07:36
http://www.sailfishonfraser.com.au/
Sailfish on fraser is where i stay . It is only ten minutes drive to eli creek and maheno wreck . It is situated at happy valley which is halfway up the island . Undercover parking , spa , etc .
AnswerID: 94605

Follow Up By: glenno(bris) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 07:54

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 07:54
http://www.dirtyweekends.com.au/Rdrs%20pic%2022.htm
have a look at this also
FollowupID: 353527

Reply By: Member - David C (QLD) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 08:00

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 08:00
Here is our trip report - http://members.optusnet.com.au/~grungle229/Patrol/fraserisland03.html

No fixed accomodation. Just camping.

Regards
David
AnswerID: 94607

Reply By: Derro - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 13:34

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 13:34
You may not be able to use the ferry in from Inskip and out thru Kingfisher unless you pay double fare. The ferry fares, I believe, at both points is return, but please check.
good camping around Ocean Lake if you are going north of Indian / Waddy, watch out for over zealous backpacker troop carriers.
I run Prado tyre pressures at about 18psi (for the larger tyres).
The exit off the barge at Hook Point can be soft depending on traffic and tides.
Suggestion: if you go that way, camp / stay at Inskip the night before and time your run up the beach on Fraser to suit the outgoing tide.
Have Fun.
AnswerID: 94652

Sponsored Links