Bald Duelers

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:03
ThreadID: 19831 Views:3637 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I have duelers on my Patrol, and they are worn in but far from the ware indicators. Because of the tread pattern they are a bit like sliks, there is no where for the water to get out. Has anyone ever had there tyres regrooved? Are coopers really a deeper tread pattern, I was at a show recently and the rep claimed they were. I feel like the tread pattern on the duelers has robbed me 20,000ks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:18

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:18
tyres need to be re- groovable and duelers arent. We experemented with regroovable tyres on a mine vehicle but didnt use them again. Deeper tread sounds good but I worry about how it would handle as when I get new tyres the tread squirming can be felt. Dont worry to much about your duelers I kept mine on until they were below legal. the tyres on the work vehicles are like truck tyres with no path to the edge for water - doesnt seem to be a problem
AnswerID: 95199

Reply By: Bros - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:19

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:19
Hano,
I also have duellers and have had so for many years. Excellent on dry bitumen, sand and rough stuff, but you have to be very carefull on wet bitumen and gravel as they tend to let go. As for regrooving, i don't know. Thinking of changing to something else next replacement.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 95201

Follow Up By: snailbate - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:28

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:28
hi all
bad wear on tyres is some times caused by bad balance especially on the front if the tyres are not dymacily bal but staic bal the shimmey on the sterring could at fault
snailbait
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 353998

Reply By: Hano - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:27

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:27
Bros,
This is my second set, I was new to it all when I replaced the existing ones. Like you say they are excellent on the sand and nearly everywhere else as long as they don’t get wet. I reckon if you could re-groove the drains you could extend there lives, but I don’t know who would do that and if it would affect the stability of the tyre (inside or whatever). I think I will try coopers next, as they seem to have a deeper tread, I just don’t want to get burnt, I don’t have money to throw around…..!! Thanks for your reply.
AnswerID: 95208

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:10

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:10
I've been more than happy with mine but am at (by the sounds of it) the same place as you, they are looking reasonablly knackered.
I reckon I'll keep them on for the summer, then they should be well and truly gone by winter and change to a fresh set (possibly the same) then.

Besides, the balder tyre does'nt go too badly on the beach! ;-)
AnswerID: 95223

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 00:24

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 00:24
Careful Forumites!

There are Duelers and there are Duelers, I suspect some of you may be mixing them up.

In Off Road tyres there are:-
Desert Dueler 604V - been around for yonks!
Dueler A/T D693
Dueler M/T D673
Dueler A/T D694 - replacement for the 693's.

And they all have different tread pattern designs.

I have nothing to do with Bridgestone, but have 694's on the Jack and Desert Duelers on the Camper.

They appear to be an adequate tyre for the price.
How's that for a non "political", (mine's better than yours) statement:-)))

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 95293

Follow Up By: Grinner - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 13:32

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 13:32
Not only are there duelers and duelers, but there are also duelers too. There are two versions of the A/T D693, one made in Japan and one made in Australia. I believe the Aussie made one had a thicker casing and a better wearing tread.

I have two D694's on since Dec '03, had D693's previously and the D694's are miles ahead as far as wear rate goes.

Grinner
FollowupID: 354131

Reply By: MrBitchi - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:31

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:31
The new Cooper ATR's would be worth a go. Not sure of the tread depth but the old AT's have a a depth of 12.7mm and the new ones claim 26% more mileage. (they've increased the mileage guarantee to 90,000ks for what its worth).
The current AT's are a brilliant tyre.

Cheers, John.
AnswerID: 95350

Sponsored Links