Long Range Tanks

Submitted: Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 18:35
ThreadID: 19866 Views:2094 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Guys & gals,

I am entertaining the idea of installing a long range fuel tank for my TD diesel.

I must admit to a strong dislike of carrying fuel either on the roof rack( roll over issues) or in the vehicle (smell and fumes etc). Yes I am very aware that diesel is a much lower risk in the vehicle than petrol.

However, I have heard (and met one person whose tank has failed) that these tanks tend to fail and drop their load in the most embarrasing situations, e.g in the middel of the Simpson and/or other well populated areas where the cost of retreival is as cheap as the new Maseratti.

Has anybody out there installed long range tanks, and if so, has your experience been pleasant or has it given you the proverbial pain in the rear end so to speak.

Cheers and thanks for your help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 18:46

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 18:46
all the 4wd I have owned or driven have had factory 2nd tanks and I have not had one go. It is the lines and solonoids that are most vunrable to damage (I am now talking Extreme bushbashing the likes of which you would not engage in) when bashing we pull up often to clear trees wedged out from underneath it is then the smell of diesal hits you and repairs are either done using double ended conecters and hose clamps along with spare line. Or (more common is smashing the teats off that conect your pipes your back tank) blocking off where the teats were with aua putty and siphoning the tank as required. In short be prepared
AnswerID: 95419

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 19:30

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 19:30
I have an ARB Long Ranger tank on my 100series TD and I reckon that they are fantastic. Have not had any trouble with it and went up and back to Cape York and other trips without any worries. I love having that long range - drove from Melbourne to Charleville, filled up and next fill was in Cairns after driving around Cairns for a few days.

I did speak to some Welders in Seisa on Cape York and they reckoned that they have to weld up quite a few long range tanks which is pretty pricey but so far I have not had any trouble and would get one again. Can save dollars on fuel but filling up in major cities and avoid lots to the really pricey stops.

Andrew
AnswerID: 95424

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 19:50

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 19:50
Same as Andrew and Jen . I have a TD and an ARB long range tank .
Last July I did four weeks in the Great Sandy Desert - everybody except me , kept running low on fuel - I had 280 litres .
It would be the first accessory I fitted if I started again .
Willie
FollowupID: 354178

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 21:47

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 21:47
Had a Long Ranger tank fitted by ARB, in Rocky, to our 80 series, over 6 years ago. Would have done at least 100K since then, on a lot of ordinary roads.

Not a problem, leak, crack or otherwise. Drive from home, south of Winton, to Toowoomba, without needing any fuel. Was especially good on our trip to NT, in 2003.

There are other brands that don't have a good reputation, avoid them at your peril!

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 354194

Reply By: Noosa Bushtrackers - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:38

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:38
We have a 200 litre Stainless Steel extra tank fitted in the front of the tub in our F250 and have had no trouble with it. Great to be able to bypass those expensive roadhouses that rip people off becaus e they know most cars don't have enough fuel to go between the 2 towns.

On our Caravan we have a 40 litre Aluminium tank that is bolted to the underside of the floor. This tank is used for running the Webasto heater while in cold climates. Last year while travelling along the Kalumburu Road, the welds on the lower end sections of the tank both failed and we left all our fuel down the road. The tank was professionally made by a Company on the Sunshine Coast and has since been repaired and strengthened with a piece of angle welded over the edge that gave way.

It may have been the fact that it was made from Aluminium and not Stainless but it failed and we lost all the fuel.
Brian
Doing it tuff, Towing a Bushtracker.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 95432

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 21:12

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 21:12
What annoys me about Long range tanks is the cost.

on the GQ you get a 146ltr tank for close to a grand... its only 50 ltrs more than standard! how much is 2 Jerry cans worth?

On the GQ mine not so much failed, it fitted and all, but once the gauge got to 1/4 or if you hit a hill, the car physically stopped, even though there was a good 25 ltrs+ in the tank! I borrowed 3 different pickups from mates that theirs worked. SO it wasnt the pickup.

I went up the hill at Arthurs Seat with 1/4 a tank, and the car stopped. on the way up.. rolled back onto the parking bay on side of hill, started INSTANTLY, no coughing or pharting or the like...

So I sold the tank LMAO.

Just be careful how far down they hang at the back of the car... You should be ok. See Eric, I think he is buyin a few at the moment.
AnswerID: 95443

Follow Up By: Member - Paul T- Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 21:29

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 21:29
Truckster

What brand was/is your LR Tank?

Cheers
FollowupID: 354189

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 22:28

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 22:28
Tryin to remember.. they are in Melbourne, cause the dude I sold it to took it back to them...

I'll ask.
FollowupID: 354201

Reply By: Bryan (WA) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 23:05

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 23:05
Paul,
in your search for a long range tank, dont jsut think about a bigger replacement tank for your primary one. dont forget to look at an Aux tank to suppliment your existing primary tank. That way you will get your existing 100 odd litres plus 70-80L that an aux tank can carry. This way if your main tank drops its load, you can patch it, and fill it from the Aux tank.. I guess its another way to ensure you dont have all your eggs in one basket.. and I dont think the Aux tanks hang down like the bigger main tank replacements tend to..

regards
Bryan
AnswerID: 95461

Reply By: Coops (Ex-Pilbara) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 13:31

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 13:31
I have one of those brands that you're supposed to avoid and haven't had one single problem after 5 years bashing about the Pilbara & Kimberley.
AnswerID: 95631

Reply By: Leroy - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 15:16

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 15:16
Paul,

I had a Long Range Automotive tank installed in my Rodeo. Despite them saying it didn't hang down any lower than the original in did by approx 50mm. I also found when I was getting low on fuel if I parked on a small incline all the fuel ran to the front of the tank and I was unable to on a few occasions start my vehicle!
I bought it for my Cape York trip and it was good because of the extra capacity but around Musgrave the factory tank mount snaped andthe tank dropped down almost dragging along the ground. The front mount was only just supporting it but fractured the tank when it dropped. It also ripped out the wiring to the fuel pump. For the rest of the trip I couldnt fill my tank to more than half (it leaked out the fracture) and I had to use tie downs to support the tank. I spoke LRA upon my return and they reckon I abused the tank (there were scrapes on it's belly but according to their dealer in Cairns they said that was nothing compared what they see) and didn't warrant the tank. Holden wouldn't come to the party because I put in a larger tank! I had to pay $200 to get it all repaired. Up North nobody seems to use them only us down south.....go figure!

Leroy
AnswerID: 95648

Reply By: Willykj - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 16:53

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 16:53
Paul,

I have had a Long Ranger Aux tank fitted to my Jackaroo for 5 years. No problem whatsoever. Went to Cape York & did the OTL - no problems. Saves heaps on fuel costs,

Willy
AnswerID: 95666

Sponsored Links