tool box?

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 22:50
ThreadID: 20054 Views:2781 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Another quick question, What do you all put you gadgets in , in the back of your station wagon 4wds. You know the compressors and the power packs and all the other bits that might come in handy. Is there something around that has a lid to hide the goodies?
I'm in the process in gearing up for a trip and since all my old gear is not well or missing I hope to pick everyones brains for the inside info on whats out there.

thanks in advance for any comments.
Warndu
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 23:03

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 23:03
I bolted a lockable metal box from bunnings to the floor of my pajero.

Should hide and slow them down a bit!

Regards
Russell
AnswerID: 96348

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 08:00

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 08:00
A small toolbox for tools, then a Kookaburra green zip bag which holds recovery & tyre stuff.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 96390

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 09:21

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 09:21
I use an ARB space case strapped to the cargo hooks in the back of the Paj. Expensive but very solid and good latches and dust seal.
I also remove the two rear passengers seat and the the third row seat. The NP has a beaut storage area where the third seat folds into. I use this area for all my recovery gear.
The space case is used for my small tool box, compressor, Cobb cooker, heat beads and various other bits and pieces.
I hate loose stuff in the car.
AnswerID: 96404

Reply By: Ray Bates - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 09:40

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 09:40
Hi I have a LPG powered landcruiser and rather than have the spare wheel on a door carrier I have made a false floor in the back. The spare wheel goes under this complete with my toolbox, pump and recovery geer. When the tailgat is up you cannot see a thing and everything is safe and I have not lost any floor space. My mut has a bed on top of the false floor and is high enough to look out of the windows. This is the second vehicle that I have set up this way and all works out well. Cheep and effective
AnswerID: 96407

Reply By: MrBitchi - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 09:49

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 09:49
Black Widow storage drawers and the third row seat well of the Paj.

Cheers, John.
AnswerID: 96410

Reply By: Utemad - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:05

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:05
Just a word of warning to people who store their recovery gear in the back of wagons. A guy in my club has a Cruiser with draws in the back where he keeps his recovery gear. However we were out playing one day and he got stuck in some ruts and rolled backwards and we were unable to open his rear door as it was up against a bank of dirt. Not touching but enough so opening doors and drawers was impossible. Since all his gear was in the drawers we couldn't get any of his recovery gear to use. He also has a cargo barrier so getting over the seats is out too.

Lucky we were with him otherwise we wouldn't have been able to laugh at him :-)

Since then I always make sure my recovery gear is accessible from the drivers seat area at times when I might need it.
AnswerID: 96413

Follow Up By: Hano - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:49

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:49
I agree, my recovery gear goes behind the drivers seat in a bag, axe, shovel, tirfor and jack handles along front of the back seat. Kids feet dont reach the floor yet, and its a lot easier than digging under the crap in the back. I always pack the things i need the least at the bottom, and things like recovery gear, torch and a jumper/boots are close to hand. as well as a couple of things like a shifter, phillips and flat blade in the map carrier in the door for minor adjustments.

Hano.
FollowupID: 355174

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:48

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:48
had the same experience in my old troopy- back doors up against a sand wall, and couldnt get the drawers out. Had to take the ply off the tops of the drawers.

Got a set of outback drawers in there now, and for this reason i make sure I've always got a phillips head tip #3 in my glovebox- without it id still be walking back to civilisation to get help. I was considering the cargo barrier... cheers. Im not gonna blow any cash on one now!

FollowupID: 355313

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:57

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:57
Agree, I've got straps, gloves, axe etc under the back seat in my RA Rodeo. Just enough space under there to hold plenty of "flat" sort of stuff.

Ohter things I put in a big black ZIP branded (I think) box with yellow clips. You buy them from Bunnings. They are really strong and I can pass tie downs or chains or whatever through the handles. It is also light enough (depending on contents) to go on roof as well.
AnswerID: 96459

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 18:26

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 18:26
I store most of my gear in a big plastic rectangular bucket. The type that us southerner's use for crabbing. Includes a clip on lid and I also use it as a shower recepticle. Just fill with water to the temperature desired, stand in it and imerse the battery operated shower in it. SHMBO goes first.

Spoilt, aren't We.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 96490

Reply By: Mike-TS - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 20:23

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 20:23
Spacecase on roof rack with recovery and other gear. If I roll over I might not be able to open it but if I roll over who gives a s#$%!!
AnswerID: 96511

Sponsored Links