New Donaldson Topspin pre-cleaner

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 23:34
ThreadID: 20056 Views:4593 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had experience with or heard anything about the new Donaldson Topspin pre-cleaner.

Like any feedback, as I'm looking at buying one!!

Steve

There is a .pdf file at this link you can look at if you're interested!!!
Donaldson
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 23:47

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 23:47
looks very cheap and nasty plastic...

also looks like it works no different to the 'older' donaldson? But if its better than the old style, then all the power! they work awesome the old ones.
AnswerID: 96371

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 23:52

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 23:52
seen a very similar thing in a different brand a few years back, just looks like more bits to wear out and drive you mad, wonder how it holds up to corrugations.
Nothing wrong with the original units i reckon.
AnswerID: 96373

Reply By: cokeaddict - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 08:09

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 08:09
Well i treid to open the link but no luck so far (problem on my end not yours) But I have been wondering for a while now as to why they cant make one to suit turbo diesel engines yet. Im sure it would not be difficult...then again...i thought that about getting married and boy was I wrong there !

My old Donaldson worked a treat on the naturally aspirated 4.2 diesel. But from past posts i figured you cant use them at speed if you run a turbo. So mine sits on a shelf collecting dust. I was told that some people take it with them for when they hit dusty tracks and wack it on at the beggining of the track as long as you stay under a certain speed...I think it was 80 kms? not sure on that. But even that i think is reffering to a 10 inch and not the std one you see around on some 4b's.

Anyone got more info on that ... am I close to the mark here ?
Cheers ange
AnswerID: 96392

Follow Up By: Member - Paul J (ACT) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 08:31

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 08:31
G,day Angelo, how was ya Chrissy and New Year................
FollowupID: 355130

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:36

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:36
I run my donaldson on mine dude, and ya know its turboed.. :)
FollowupID: 355145

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:59

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:59
I run mine too...
The topspin is not new either, just another model...
A couple of years ago I called them about the speed rumour, a tech called me back and we discussed this at length, he even sent me chart with all the different figures.
The conclusion was that the TD42T volume at high demands was a bit demanding on the smaller donaldson but OK on the big one, however he suggested to stick with the smaller because it works better at low speeds in dusty conditions.
His answer was if you are going from (say) Melbourne to Cairns on the highway it may pay to remove it and install the elbow, otherwise its ok.
The noise mine makes at anything higher than 1200rpm is amazing, but in the bush I empty it every day collecting dust that otherwise would be at the filter....

Will
FollowupID: 355148

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 13:20

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 13:20
Hi Truckster,
What size are you running?

Paul,
I had me a quiet holiday season thanks. Not much into travelling during holidays myself as there are too many idiots out there. You know I much prefer being somewhere i enjoy when there is no crowds around.

Will,
Whats size is yours mate ... ( the Donaldson :-) )
FollowupID: 355163

Reply By: TD6 - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:29

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:29
Steve,

I run a similar unit on my 4.2 tdi. Mines a Turbo III unit and has the same features ect as the Donaldson. I originally had a standard Donaldson on the GQ non turbo but found it wasn't as efficient as this system on the new car. A mate of mine owns Western Air cleaners in Sydney and he recommended this unit. Apparently a lot of the earth moving companies are going or have gone this way. I definetly get more pull out the motor on the highway with this on. Very noticable when towing a 2 tonne boat in hilly country etc. It can mean the difference of a gear change in some cases. My air filter change period has dropped right off as per the standard Donaldson and on the open road under normal touring conditions there is no air starvation issues. The downside of this unit is the noise. Under acceleration the fan unit screams like a strangled cat and the vibration from the airlow through the system causes a drumming sensation in the cab. Once your cruising there is no noticable difference in noise. It reminds me of an aircraft when they increase power to climb etc and then back off to cruising speed if you know what I mean. Because of this I only use mine on trips and around town I switch back to the standard ducks head.
AnswerID: 96423

Sponsored Links