Engel Battpacks - anyone have one?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 16:46
ThreadID: 20146 Views:2749 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all :)

My wife and I are looking for a portable 12v battery source for our caravan and out in the field. We don't have room for dual batteries in the Jeep - so this is the way to go.

We had a look at the Waeco Thumper models and they are ridiculously expensive now.....

There are two new ones out now from Engel - a 28Ah and a 56Ah. Picture> [ View Image]

My wife works in a camping store and can get them at staff cost - so they are very good value. We are looking at the 56Ah.

Has anyone already tried one of these units? If so, what do you think of it?

Cheers
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 08:36

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 08:36
Don't think you would go wrong with your choice Chrispy.
But it may depend on what you are running off it.

A friend of mine run their fridge off their (single) car battery and use the Portable pack as a backup to start the car, if necessary.

With a 56Ah capacity, you would have no trouble running even a 40litre Fridge for a couple of days.

One point you need to consider though, is how you intend charging it while travelling. Does it connect to the cigarette lighter socket of the car?
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 97043

Reply By: David Au - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 14:00

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 14:00
Looked at one in BBQ Galore probably the most expensive shop in Australia and the price frightened me away. From a quick look they had a good range of plugs and by appearance looked ok. Would not consider one due to the low battery capacity for such a high cost.
AnswerID: 97095

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 19:05

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 19:05
The latest 4x4Aust magazine I recieved today has an article on it - comparing it to the Bushranger PowerTank 1800 and 4000 as well as the O/L PowerMaster 48.

It rated the best for powering the fridge and other camp accessories given that the test excluded units that exceeded 30kg and $500, and "unlike the PowerTanks it accepted a full charge during 4 hours of vehicle running".

Only thing it doesn't have is the ability to use it for jump starting (deep cycle) and therefore has no leads. No problems there for me.

I'll get one now.
AnswerID: 97519

Sponsored Links