Black Widow draw system

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 13:13
ThreadID: 20237 Views:4315 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
HI all

We are looking at getting a Black Widow draw system fitted to our GU Patrol. We have looked at the others and liked the idea of being able to change the side wings on the BWS to suit any vehicle incase we change ours in the future,also they have a rated child restraint mounting point where as the others do not seem to have this i may be wrong but no dealer could tell me otherwise. The price that we have got fitted with two fridge slides is $2640 does this sound about right and does anyone out there have one of these units fitted and are you happy with it.

Many thanks
Martin and Samantha
(Perth WA)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 13:20

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 13:20
Have you thought of making your own for under about $300 + fridge slides?

Search theres dozens of theads on plans, pics and how to make em.
AnswerID: 97234

Reply By: Well 55 - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 13:24

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 13:24
G'day Martin, I have a set of Black Widow's in the back of a GU just the draws no fridge slide. They have been in for 2 years and still as tight with no rattles after a Cape and 3 High Country trips.

As you say one of the best around if price is of no concern. Not sure why you want two slides, but the fitted price is about right. I have a half barrier fitted as well.

They come with a couple of dividers that you can rivet in any position you want, so you dont have all the small things rolling around the place. Other than that I us plactic boxes which fit in nicely and can be liffed out and put on a table, one is a day box.

All in all a top unit.
AnswerID: 97235

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:02

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:02
I concur with Well55, a superb unit if you ignore the price.

I fitted the Trades Depth 300mm maybe worth looking at as in the case of the Troopy it added about 1 cubic meter of extra storage to the system, but check your access height first o the Nissan.
I also have the half barrier fitted a must do in our situation.

They are not hard to fit yourself and can save you a few dollars.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 97239

Reply By: MrBitchi - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:49

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:49
Got a set in my NM Pajero with one fridge slide. Great unit. Not cheap but not the dearest either. Also have the half height cargo barrier.
I'm very pleased with the system and have had no problems so far.
Why two fridge slides??

Cheers, John.
AnswerID: 97251

Reply By: Member - Martin- Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 15:15

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 15:15
Thanks for the replys,
We do quite a bit of remote travelling and take two 40litre engles one as a fridge one as a freezer it comes in handy for taking treats for the kids like icecreams and things and my wife makes frozen meals like lasagne which we take out the morning before and it is defrosted by dinner time makes life just that bit easier.
AnswerID: 97254

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 15:36

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 15:36
Hey Martin i made my own it is easier than you think it took me a day.
MY DRAWERS
All up they cost me $350 in materials, as for the child restaints can't help you there don't know where they are in the Patrol.

Baz.
AnswerID: 97256

Follow Up By: Member - John C - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 15:49

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 15:49
A day!

I'll have a set of those thks Baz.

or if that's too much to ask, the plans etc will be fine ;o)

John
FollowupID: 355878

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:07

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:07
I wish i had plans i just measured and built as i went, but if you want i can mearsure it up and send you everything, not a problem.

A question, do you have the centre diff lock fitted.

Baz.
FollowupID: 355993

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 18:05

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 18:05
Hi Martin,

Couple of things to my mind is that you've gotta have your fridge enclosed in a hutch - otherwise there's not much point having it on a slide - pull it out, something slips down behind it, and can't close it.. a bit pointless.

Pretty much gotta put your fridge on the deck - not on top of a drawer - unless you're married to an amazon, or the back of your car is low to the ground - ie, you probably aren't going to lift it... Make sure you simulate having your fridge at the height it will be - and opening it - and you are happy with that.

We went with Offroad Systems:

- fridge on the deck
- three drawers next to it
- modular - can remove one side and use the seat
- modular - can put two drawers side by side if I want
- can move from car to car with different wings
- cheap - $1800
- half the weight of comparable systems

see http://www.lcool.org/technical/90_series/ivans_prado/ivan.html

Talk to Graham - he'll be able to sort the child restraint stuff I'm sure

Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 97278

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 00:51

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 00:51
Hi Martin,

We've looked at the black widow and outback drawer systems and reckon the BW are easily the better of the two. The finish is superb and their GU sytem is 80kg lighter than the outback system. That's a lot of weight saving. Came very close to ordering a set last month but just couldn't quite swallow the $2600 price tag. Not griping about their pricing structure, we just can't justify it for the amount of use it will get. Besides we'd rather spend the $$$ on a trip.

So we're looking for a cheaper option. I'm interested in the Offroad System drawer units that Ivan mentions in his post above. There's also a guy in Perth that custom makes drawer systems for all popular makes of 4WD's. Sheet metal construction, marine carpet etc and his prices start at $1000. He's quoted us $1400 fitted for a 2 drawer stack on one side and an Engel fridge slide on the other. Gunna head up to Perth in the next couple of weeks to check out some of his work and will probably place an order if his work is as good as he claims.

Considered making our own storage system and made quite a bit of progress working up a design, sourcing materials etc but we just can't seem to find the time to actually do the job so now we've conceded defeat in that regard.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 97375

Follow Up By: Peter McGuckian (Member) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 15:27

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 15:27
Melissa,

I have the Offroad Systems two drawer setup in my 2002 GU. They are great. They couriered them down from Sydney and bolted straight in. We have a fridge slide for the Waeco on the LHS. They are much cheaper than other options and do the job easily.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 356230

Sponsored Links