Victoria High Country

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:22
ThreadID: 20254 Views:1740 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all.......been having a good read of late and was wondering what time of year is best for Vic HC?? I realise summer would be best but would rather like to do it in Autumm or Spring.......any views most appreciated

Rash
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:46

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:46
Rash,

I think that April is the best time for the Vic high Country.

The tracks are only open from October to May becaues of the snow.

In November the rivers are high and the and the days are warm to hot but it can rain.

In April the rivers are not as high the weather is good and it just might snow, if you are lucky.

Anytime in the VHC is good.

Wayne
AnswerID: 97320

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:02

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:02
And most weekends in May are PEAK HOUR up there. everyone trippin before tracks close.. Me, John R and few others were up there last yr on last weekend before closures, and you couldnt get to craigs hut!
FollowupID: 355931

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:04

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:04
Although the first of Nov is officially seasonal track open day (take a chainsaw) most extended track closures are open by the first of Dec allowing access to all areas. Wild flowers are generally out in the lower bush around Nov & in the Alpine areas in Dec.
On public holidays the tracks are packed including most of the xmas break. If you can travel mid week camp sites are alot easier to find. The temperature in the high country can be around 10 to 15 degrees cooler than on the flats making it a great summer retreat from the heat, but of coarse by April /May that means it may snow at times. (can snow all year) Jan & Feb the tracks get very dusty with all the traffic but that makes the hills easy to climb. After Easter (it always rains at Easter) the tracks can get pretty wet & slippery so you need to ensure you're not heading down steep ones like Grimmes track unless you've got all the gear;-)) My favorite time in the high country is winter when a few tracks are still open allowing great snow driving. So to answer your question anytime is the best time to go.
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 97340

Reply By: Ozzy - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:12

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:12
Hi,
I'd agree with the April vote, I spent a couple of weeks down there last April and had warm sunny days (shorts and T shirt), but very cold nights.
And as mentioned the river crossings are at their easiest, pending on rainfall of course. I am returning this April again. can't wait.
Good luck Ozzy.
AnswerID: 97341

Reply By: rash - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 15:40

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 15:40
Many thanks everyone for your replies.........looks like April will be the go
Rash
AnswerID: 97479

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 17:56

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 17:56
I agree with you all.
Any day is a good day in the Victorian high country!
AnswerID: 97504

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 18:14

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 18:14
The Sydney Jeep Club is up there (Davies Plain) from 6th April until the 10th.

We may see you guys up there :)

Oh!...and yeah - April's the best time.
AnswerID: 97507

Sponsored Links