Camping prices

Submitted: Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 01:14
ThreadID: 20328 Views:2435 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone been up to Cape Leveque lately. We are doing the kimberleys in April and am lead to believe that you can only camp in the camping area's at the Cape. I believe they are shaded structures on the coast that you can setup camp under. I don't have a problem staying at these for a few days, just can't find the costs listed anywhere online. Any info will be great.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Rambler - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 01:59

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 01:59
Glenn,
The shaded structures that you mention are actual cabana type huts that you can rent but there is also the regular section of the caravan park that gets very busy in June, July , Aug and booking at these times is reccomended but you should be o.k. in April although that can be a bit early for travel in the Kimberlys as roads can be closed if there is a late wet.If you go up to Cape Leveque make SURE you go into Middle Lagoon which is just a bit South as that to me is a better camping spot.
AnswerID: 97790

Reply By: Jolly - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 02:50

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 02:50
Hi Glenn,
I live in Broome but have not been up there for a few years know, Cape Leveque have a website which is as follows www.kooljaman.com.au Pretty sure they have prices on there.
Middle Lagoon well worth checking out, There are also some great spots up along the beach past willy Creek.

Enjoy your trip,
Josh.
AnswerID: 97793

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn P (SA) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:45

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:45
Thanks josh,

I found this on the site, and it was exactly what I needed.

There are 30 powered & unpowered sites located in a grassed area with some shade cover, wood barbecue's are situated throughout the campsite.

Ablutions and laundry facilities are located nearby.

Nightly rates: $14 per adult, $7 per child (3-16yrs). $4 Per outlet for power for camping fridges and lighting only. Minimum 2 night stay.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
FollowupID: 356538

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn P (SA) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:57

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:57
Hi again Josh

I have had a look at my hema maps of the area, and maybe its to late at night and my eyes aren't focusing but I can't seem to see Middle Lagoon or Willy creek. I have found Willie point. Can you give me some land marks or GPS co-ordinates.
FollowupID: 356539

Reply By: Squizzy - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:18

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:18
Hey Glenn,

We are also heading that way, but not leaving Port Pirie until April 4th to do Darwin, Litchfield and Kakadu first.

We may see you around the traps somewhere.

Geoff.
AnswerID: 97797

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn P (SA) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 02:34

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 02:34
Hi Geoff,

I can give you my email if you like and you can send us your mobile number, and we could give you a ring when we leave broome. We run usually on UHF 13, and there will be 2 Nissan GU Patrols, 1 X 4.2 T/D and the other a 3ltr T/D, there will also be out Mazda freestyle 2.5 T/D. All will have campers on, and we will also have a tinnie up top.

Hope to catch yah along the track.
FollowupID: 356541

Follow Up By: Squizzy - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 08:36

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 08:36
Glenn,

My email is

geofftay at bigpond dot net dot au

Sounds cool. We are driving a silver 3.0L TD Patrol (just picked up the latest model and trying to rig out before April).
Also pulling a Cameron Canvas CT.

Geoff.
FollowupID: 356547

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 11:00

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 11:00
The beach huts are $50 per night. You need to make sure you book these very soon. I couldnt imagine a better place to spend a few days - 180 degree views of the ocean only 5metres away!!! The huts are very basic - sand floor, only 3 walls (made of palm fronds), no windows or doors etc. We have been there a few times and just chuck the swag on the floor - and bring a shower tent as there is a small concrete block in the corner of the hut with a shower rose above it and a cold water tap. It is great to be able to use that instead of having to shower at the toilet block. There is great spearfishing off the point too!!
Drew
AnswerID: 97829

Reply By: Member - Algee (NSW) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 12:11

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 12:11
My brother in law worked there for many years until the new managers sacked him and his wife because they wanted there own friends and staff in. They are now locked in a legal battle for underpayments and unfair dismissal. All the costs from the beach huts (where I have stayed many times) to the Safari Huts and unit accommodation and all gone through the roof. The costs in the shop is now way over the top. Make sure you ring and ask about there new rules and regulations on arrivals and general camp rules. DO NOT turn up without a booking because no matter how far you have travelled and what condition the road is like. They will turn you away.

The place used to be heaven with great staff but whilst you cant change the scenery it could do with a flush down the loo as far as staff and managers are concerned.
AnswerID: 97837

Reply By: Troopy22 - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 14:03

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 14:03
Glenn
There's lots to see up the Dampier Peninsula - Beagle Bay Church, Lombadina Church, the Lombadina bakery. Also try Middle Lagoon and if you like it simple go to Maddarr near Beagle Bay. Go over to One Arm Point and ask to visit their aqua culture venture - low tech but very successful. Make sure you watch the tide ripping around the Point.

North of Broome on the Manari Road you can see Willie Creek Pearl Farm and then keep going up the road to Manari for fishing or before you get to Manari there are some little tracks off to some great beachside camping spots.

And Glenn if you want to upset a Kimberley person use an "s" at the end of the word Kimberley.

Enjoy yourself - it's a great bit of Oz.
AnswerID: 97858

Reply By: Des Lexic - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 15:58

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 15:58
Glenn P
There is a bloke who lives in a suburb near you who's name is Steve may have some infrmation on camping spots in the area.
If you like, I can get him to contact you with details.

Have a good trip.

PS Just looking at your Rig Shot Is your truck lifted?
AnswerID: 97872

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn P (SA) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:39

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:39
That guy Steve has contacts and usually free accommodation up there, but for family only suks huh. He knows the camping spots but has never paid, as is usual for him.. LOL As for the rig pick, Nah wasn't lifted then but after sitting her butt on some mud a few times it is now, but I thought you may have seen that....

I hear you are heading up that way later in the year, not sure if we can wait around to help tow those Tojo's over the rough stuff for you.
FollowupID: 356536

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn P (SA) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:43

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:43
Geeze its a worry, was just checking maps and noticed that near Lombadina Point, is Packer Island. Probably was part of the main land and they dug a channel........:-)
FollowupID: 356537

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 14:26

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 14:26
The island you mention is family owned but only respectable Toyota owners are allowed to camp there. Nissan owners are definitely out.
You have my mobile number and I guess that you will be stuck in the sand when we get there. Because your wife is such a nice person, I will give you a tow out.
FollowupID: 356559

Reply By: Jolly - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 03:34

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 03:34
Hi Glenn

Don't have any GPS coordinates but i can tell you that the Willey Creek mouth is 5NM to the North of Broome,You can access the south side by driving along cable beach however it does get very dodg'y in a couple of areas and quiet a few cars get drowned there, The best way is to come in from the Cape Leveque Rd, Approx 10 Kms North along the road from the broome highway there is a signposted turn of (You can't miss it), There are quiet a few spots up that way, Would not recommend camping at Willey Creek but if you continue on further there are some exc spots, As for Middle Lagoon, The turn off for there is approx 15-20kms to the North of the Beagle Bay turn off, (Well worth ringing them and booking one of there beach shacks) Also if you have a decent tinny you can travel from Middle Lagoon to the mouth of Beagle Bay, although it is a decent hike the muds crabs are huge and to die for.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Josh.
AnswerID: 97977

Reply By: Jolly - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 03:51

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 03:51
Glen,
If you go to this website you will find a bit of info...Map not really detailed but will give you a bit of an idea..
http://www.kimberleytourism.com/dampier_peninsula_map.htm
Josh.
AnswerID: 97978

Sponsored Links