GU Front End

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 22:25
ThreadID: 20388 Views:2275 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Our Son in law has a 2001 Nussan GU 4.2TD . He has had it back to the Nissan Dealer on 4 accasions with front end wear problems . The tyres are scolloping out on the outside . They keep checking for worn components and have done wheel alignments to no avail. Has anyone else had a similar problem and what was the cure? Thanks Stan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 22:40

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 22:40
Stan,
Unless the tyres are changed after the wheel aligment the tyres will still scollop the outside edge.

Tyres that have been scolloped will not fix themselves and will continue to wear in that way.

As for what might cause the scolloping, a tyre out of round or out of balance. It could even be a bent axel or diff.

Might want to try a wheel aligment shop, they would know a lot more than Nissan when it comes to tyre wear.

Wayne
AnswerID: 98068

Reply By: member-Diamond(vic) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 23:00

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 23:00
the thing i used to love when i was doing wheel alignments was people saying the tyres are scrubbing but its had a wheel alignment.yes it probly been wheel aligned to specs.each car is different loaded/driven ect so should be aligned different i align the car to what ever the tyres are doing.sounds like your sil needs a little more toe out.
AnswerID: 98073

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 08:55

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 08:55
Oh the joys of the nissan front end, if its not pulling left after fitting aftermarket tyres, its wearing the lh front tyre all wrong......

3 questions first up,

have the tyres been rotated?

and

What pressures does he run?

and

does he do alot of lh or rh hard on the lock turning, into car park, out of the drive, same amount of rh corners to work and lh home each day or similar?

AnswerID: 98097

Reply By: Glenn D - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 15:41

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 15:41
Hows it going Stan,
I also have a GU that wore the front l/h tyre. After several wheel alignments at the normal tyre place that didnt cure the problem, a friend suggested going to a place that looks after truck front ends.I looked in a few 4wd mags and went to the Pro - Axle centre at Enfield in sydney. The guys there were familiar with the problems assocated with a GU front end , and mine was cured with a camber correction plate.Tyre wear is now even

Hope this helps

Glenn
AnswerID: 98137

Reply By: Member - Darryl T- Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 12:42

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 12:42
Stan,
We take our vehicles to the wheel aligners and expect them to perform miracles. To state the bleeding obvious they can only adjust those things that are adjustable!
In the case of solid front axles ( Patrols, Cruisers etc ) they can only adjust toe-in/out. To adjust camber or caster aftermarket bits are needed. These come in various types, the camber adjusters that Glen mentioned, castor plates or bushes for raised vehicles, eccentric knucklie bearings etc.
To top it off remember that even if all is perfect on the test stand which is flat, our country two lane roads are cambered for drainage so you will end up with a slight steering input to the right to keep the vehicle straight. this will produce the often-seen left wheel outer shoulder wear.
Experts like Pro-Axle and Truck-Align use these after market bits to set up a little camber on the left wheel to help it track straight without the shoulder wear.
If both wheels are wearing on the outside and most driving is on relatively flat freeway it does sound like excessive toe-in, but if its mostly the left side then you probably need truck aligners who are familiar with beam axles.
Happy Travels....Darryl
AnswerID: 98282

Sponsored Links