Marble Bar / Port Hedland road

Submitted: Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 12:02
ThreadID: 20424 Views:4479 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
As i have not travelled this road for some years can anyone advise me if this road is now sealed .I seem to recall it maybe sealed up to Marble Bar from Newman end. Can anyone advise? I have checked Main Roads Website ,nothing!

Thanks

Darryl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jackman - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 12:22

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 12:22
Darryl,

I know they were in the process of sealing it from Hedland a couple of years ago. Haven't been up there for about 12 months but believe it is sealed most of the way if not all the way. The Shaw river causeway still causes dramas but I dont think there has been much rain this year.
AnswerID: 98278

Reply By: Sweeney - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 15:22

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 15:22
The road from Newman to Marble Bar is still mostly (85-90%) gravel until you hit the Marble Bar - Telfer road intersection. The road from Marble Bar to Port Hedland is all bitumen.
AnswerID: 98306

Reply By: Pluto - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 16:11

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 16:11
Darryl,

It's all bitumen. The last section to be bitumenised went in about two years ago as part of the Rippon Hills rd construction project.

Not only can you get to Marble bar without getting your tires dusty, you can get as far as the carawine gorge turn off (probably further now).
AnswerID: 98315

Follow Up By: Squizzy - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:42

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:42
Pluto,

Is Carawine still worth a look?

I heard it has been decimated since the cyclones last year.

Geoff.
FollowupID: 356900

Reply By: Pilbara Wayne - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 21:59

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 21:59
G'day Daryl,

Yes it is sealed all the way from Marble Bar to Hedland. Also last year there was quite a bit of work going on in the section from Nullagine to Marble Bar. Road was graded and it was easy to sit on 95-100km/h. Scenery through this section is excellent. Havent done Nullagine to Newman.

If you are travelling, there is a couple of places to stop overnight on this road if you wanted. Doelena Gap about 50kms from Marble Bar - you cant miss it, just after the road winds severley through some hills (look out for trucks here) you cross the Coongan River. A track on the left takes you down to the side of the river and there are concrete BBQ pits under the trees. You'll need 4wd if you want to get close to the river, but otherwise its OK.

Or there is the Des Streckfus 24 hour stop further along towards Hedland on the right. This has BBQ's, shade and toilets. You can camp close to the little river here, away from the main camp area and its quite nice (if the river has water in it!) Otherwise its a bit muddy looking. There is shade down there though.

After that you're pretty well stuck for camping if you stay near the main road.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 98382

Follow Up By: Member - Darryl - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 23:27

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 23:27
Wayne , thanks for the reply on this road.The family will be travelling up to Broome in June ,minus myself but with the Grandparents for a trip through the Kimberley.The area around Nullagine / Marble Bar has great memories for me in the late eighties and is very scenic as you say.This route is an alternate to the the other way and probably has more nice camping along the way.Ill be joining them a week later in Broome (flying up).
The reason i asked about sealed road was hoping to make the trip for the family not to hard ,but enjoyable and problem free with tyres etc.
I always have my vehicles well setup and trip well planned to make the holiday go smoothly and hence the question about road as it was all dirt back in them days.

Regards

Darryl
FollowupID: 356870

Sponsored Links