GPS re-radiating antenna

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 21:30
ThreadID: 20621 Views:2309 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

Thinking about a re-radiating antenna like this Antenna pic. Has anyone used one and got some feedback?
I have a Magellan 315 without an external antenna connection and thought this may be a solution. Another option may be to buy a USB GPS mouse.

Leroy

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 00:52

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 00:52
Leroy - the re-radiating will work fine with 315 - good thing about this type of antenna is that they will work with any gps, so if you get a new GPS you're laughing. Drawback is requirement for cig lighter power outlet and more wires hanging around....so a usb GPS mouse would be an option to reduce clutter though obviously to gain benefit you will have to run laptop all the time. With re-rad you would only need the GPS going. Depends on your requirements. Generally speaking external antennas are overkill most of the time if your GPS is on dash and vegetation moderate (ie most of Australia).
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 99265

Reply By: Utemad - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 10:24

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 10:24
I've got this one and it works quite well. Also no need for 12v so I can use it in the boat etc easier. 3xAA last about 200hrs apparently. I have had mine since December 04 and haven't changed them yet and I use it quite often.

GART3X is the newer one which I have. Works great with my Garmin Etrex Legend.
AnswerID: 99288

Reply By: Troopie - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 11:43

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 11:43
Heya
I use one with my Meridian Platinum. I have my GPS mounted in the middle of the dash and on the odd occaison it would drop out. Since fitting the re-rediating antenna I have only seen the GPS drop out once - and usually it has plenty of satellites...

Also, if the 12v plug is the same as mine you don't lose your ciggie socket, it's a double adapter plug. So you can plug other things in behind the antenna. So I have the antenna plugged in, then I have the 12V power for GPS plugged in. Makes for a long plug so depending on where your ciggie socket is will dictate if it's in the road. I actually have two extra ciggie sockets fitted in the front..... (phones, camera's, GPS, etc etc).

Cheers
AnswerID: 99302

Reply By: Groove - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 16:35

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 16:35
Hi Leroy
I have both a reradiating antenna and a GPS mouse.

I used to use the reradiating antenna with my Magellan 315 and it worked very well. One night I bid on a USB mouse type GPS and to my surprise won the auction for $65.

The reradiating antenna worked very well but I have found the GPS mouse is much better. I get a lock much quicker, the GPS comes on automatically when the laptop is turned on because it is USB powered, less cabling, and its not visible on the dash and therfore less of a temptation for thieves to break into the car. I also found the LCD on the magellan starting to deteriorate slightly, I suspect from constant exposure to sunlight.

I still think the 315 is a great GPS and if I had to choose one type of GPS over another I would prefer a stand alone unit such as the magellan because I would not like to have to depend on a computer in a crisis. Also the magellan is great when we go for a hike away from the car.

Cheers
Groove
AnswerID: 99336

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 16:38

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 16:38
Hi Groove,
Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell me which GPS mouse you bought?

Leroy
FollowupID: 357662

Follow Up By: Groove - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 19:31

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 19:31
This is the one I got ebay link

Just do a search for usb gps there are heaps available on ebay.

I'm in Castle Hill in Sydney, If you are close and want to have a look at it in action you are welcome.

Cheers

FollowupID: 357679

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 22:53

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 22:53
Thanks Groove.

Leroy
FollowupID: 357719

Reply By: Leroy - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 16:40

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 16:40
Thanks for the feedback guys. Hmmm at $65 dollars for a GPS mouse I think that could be an excellent solution (if I can get one that cheap!!)

Leroy
AnswerID: 99338

Sponsored Links