Queensland bush camping.

Submitted: Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 20:27
ThreadID: 20646 Views:4419 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip to Lawn Hill, Karumba& Undara in July 05.
Can anyone recommend any good bush camping spots between Roma & Mt. Isa.
I know many of the small outback towns might allow such camping & any info(or gps refs) would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 20:38

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 20:38
Hmmm been a while but.......

Free camp at Mitchell CP
Camped in the scrub near Augathella
Blackall has a one night free camp on the creek I think
There is a good camp at Loyd Jones Weir 14km south of Barcaldine
There is a campsite on the side of the road outside Longreach(bit noisy) but you can drive up tracks alongside the Thomson River
There are good wayside camps on side of road between Cloncurry and Mt Isa but also a bit noisy with trucks etc running all night.

If you see a station sign and the homestead is far away(say 50km) then it is a good bet you can camp down that road for a night and no one will pass by. There are heaps of places to camp. Just start looking at 4 in the arvo.
AnswerID: 99371

Follow Up By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 21:21

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 21:21
Thanks Willem.
I have stayed at Mitchell before.Thanks for the additional info.
Regards
Vince
FollowupID: 357696

Reply By: Phils - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 21:12

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 21:12
G'day Vince,
I'm doing the same trip at the same time. I will be bush camping a bit as well but just a quick word of advice ,if you want to stay in a caravan park at Karumba you had best book now!!
Karumba Point sunset park is allready booked out!!
Karumba Point Caravan park is a Dive (so I've heard)
The only one left is the Gulf Counrty Caravan park which is right in town. We got in there but I don't know how many sites are left.
Book Now
AnswerID: 99379

Follow Up By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 17:43

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 17:43
Hi Phils.
Thank you for the info.
Would you please contact me at vince@sterlingmicros.com.au as I would like to discuss the trip with you.
Regards
Vince
FollowupID: 357841

Follow Up By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 21:56

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 21:56
Couldn't agree more about Karumba Point Park
If you are not a grey nomad you will not be welcome, trust me I know from first hand experience and I am "almost " a grey nomad myself
Cheers Poppy
FollowupID: 357882

Reply By: Dave Lavell - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 21:49

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 21:49
Vince,
If you get stuck contact Sgt Mick Jones at the Karumba Police Station, he's a great bloke and a mate of mine. He's also the son-in-law to Ash's fish and chips owners, so very much a local. He'll know where you can go if you can't get into the caravan parks.

Good luck. Doing a trip myself in early June to the gulf and Lawn hill areas.

Dave Lavell
AnswerID: 99387

Reply By: hedevil - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 00:09

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 00:09
We to are heading off for 6 months from brisbane early June plan to go to lawn hill, we have been advised here that you cannot camp on the river at gregory downs. we are then going to darwin and down the west coast and around and back to qld. Mitchel were going to change their format to pay 2 nights and stay 2 nights not sure if they did that, can camp just outside mitchell at fishermans point on the river. there is a rest area on the eastern side of roma up the hill opp the sale yards for 24 hr stop. also between roma and mitchell a small place with only a pub can stay there also. max and carol
AnswerID: 99612

Follow Up By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 19:52

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 19:52
Hi Max & Carol.
Thanks for the info.You are lucky to have 6 months travelling time.I only have 1 month, so I am heading from Tweed Heads to Lawn Hill via Mt. Isa.
Enjoy your trip.
Regards.
Vince & Noelene.
FollowupID: 358059

Reply By: Pterosaur - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:54

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:54
Vince,

Good camping at (lake Corella?) between Cloncurry and Mt. Isa, about 10km. from the road - turnoff is on the left, through a gate about 1km. west of the main bridge over the (East Leichhardt ?) river, and is distinguished by a small Telecom shed present near gate (on left of hwy. heading west). Sorry about the names, but the place is about half way between the towns. Camping was OK at Gregory Downs last year (Xmas 2003), might be worth ringing the pub to check.

cheers

AnswerID: 100138

Sponsored Links