Pajero reliability

Submitted: Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 08:25
ThreadID: 20757 Views:9694 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have a workmate who is interested in purchasing a new Pajero, and he has heard differing stories on reliability. Can any owners of the latest (Last couple of years) Pajero let us know the good and bad points of their vehicles. Are they good value for money compared to the Prado? Is the Diesel better than the V6 for reliability? I can't help him because I am actually an 80 Series cruiser owner and have never had a Mitsubishi. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 09:10

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 09:10
Stan,

Refer him to www.pajeroclub.com.au and go to the forum.

Personally, I've owned two Pajeros. Firstly a 2001 NM V6 3.5 l Petrol Exceed. Did 120,000 km in three years. Mixture of higway, dirt and rough dirt (GRR etc) with nothing too extreme. Really, not a minutes truoble so I have to say reliability was fantastic.

Secondly, a 3.2 L NP Di-D. Went this way because I tow a Coromal 505 Seaka Pioneer Xc dirt road caravan which weighs about 1800 kg.

When towing with the petrol, my range was very restricted as the fuel consumtiopn went up. The 3.2L diesel has heaps of grunt at low revs and is great for towing (373 Nm @ 2000 rpm).
I've taken the NP to the "Tip" via the old Telegraph track and across from Weipa to Chilli Beach on Frenchmans. Had no problems at all with the rough stuff or water crossing. (left the van in PD for this part of the trip).

Good points: Value for money, comfort and car like handling on the highway and around town. Quite good off road handling especially with MATT. For the sort of use I want, the independent suspension is fine and the monoquge construction is not a limit in anyway at all. Absolutely fantastic Auto transmission. Would never consider a manual after you use this gearbox.

Bad points. Ground clearance and under body protection (in off the show room floor configuration). Posibbly wheel travel (but only if you are "rock-hopping). 90 litre tank. Noisy Di-D but I'm told later models have better noise insulation.

My NP suffered a blocked radiator and oveheating problems supposedly caused by the coolant forming a gel. Mitsubishi have not acknowledged this as a known fault but anecdotally it has happened to a number of NMs and NPs.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 100061

Reply By: MrBitchi - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 09:30

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 09:30
Reliability?

1. They don't break front diffs or suspension arms (like one popular make)
2. They don't blow deisel engines (like another popular make) ;--P

(Removes tongue from cheek)
Seriously, Pajero's are just as reliable as any other current 4WD.

IMHO they are much better value for money than a Prado (others WILL differ)

I have the petrol but if buying again would get the deisel for better touring range. The trade off is slightly less power, noisier engine, not quite as smooth to drive. I believe the petrol is a better option if most your time is spent in the city.

Off the showroom floor it actually has better clearance than the opposition, but agree it needs better bash plates than standard. Had a local sheet metal shop bend up one for mine.

Cheers, John.

AnswerID: 100064

Follow Up By: itchee feet - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:26

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:26
Original spec has no troubles as you know DH.
FollowupID: 358309

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:29

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:29
?????

Inthe words of a famous (?) redhead, "Please explain.."
FollowupID: 358313

Reply By: Diamond (Vic) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:10

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:10
the diesal seem to be the way to go and there cheap as well.
local dealer has brand new diiesal for less than $42000 drive away.
AnswerID: 100102

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 14:24

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 14:24
I'm an 80 owner too - I would have thought that his intended use should have been mentioned eg town vehicle only, towing, touring, hard 4WDing. Going by the current ads on TV Mitsubishi's are the best made and have the best warranty so he can't go wrong - if you believe the advert that is!
AnswerID: 100124

Follow Up By: Stan - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 15:04

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 15:04
Im affraid he will probably use it as a 'Toorak Tractor', but I have told him to look carefully at all the details, because if they are as good as they appear I can't see the justification in spending potentially another 10 to 15 grand for a Prado.
FollowupID: 358333

Reply By: Richard - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 05:36

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 05:36
Have a 2001 NM Petrol with 110,000KM on the clock which has been great even though I give it a bit of a bashing eg. Rock hopping at Appin and Menai, Sydney.
Just recently the timing belt tensioner disintegtated and the mechanic also found a crack in the manifold. All vehicles seem to have problems of one sort or another from time to time. Now looking at replacing it and I'll look at other vehicles but the Did is tempting on price.
AnswerID: 100217

Sponsored Links