anyone been to perth lately?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:02
ThreadID: 20775 Views:3299 Replies:11 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I have my camper in the Kal Miner in a last ditch effort to sell it this weekend locally other wise I will be taking it to perth to try and sell so I have a few questions
-Whats the road like? it seem ok to southern cross does it remain the same or deteriate
- What tyres should I have? I have Kelly safaris but I think it must rain alot there as there is a drain from there to kalgoorlie, will I need BFG mud terains and a snorkle?
-Lift kit - I have been hearing about these "speed bumps" will I need a 5" lift to get over them?
-duel batteries vs solar - with no late night trading resupplying could be difficult so maybe 2 or 3 engels or waecos whats best?
- safety, With all this road rage, speed cameras and now anti roobar fanatics will I be safe? should I take parts off of it at town limits or will the local hoons do it for me?
- Campsites, anyone got the gps co-ords of a good caravan park?
- Fuel, Is diesal available after Meriden? or shoulsd I put an xtra long range tank in?
Sorry for so many Qs but you should be well prepared before taking on a journy such as this
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:23

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:23
Davoe, you live in Kal and have never been to Perth ? It's only 6 hours away. At the risk of making a fool of myself (and I'm ruuly good at that :) I'll assume some of your questions are serious.
Road is fine except for tourists like me.
Tyres..if it's raining don't go. Stay at home and catch and store some...you need it in Kal.
Speed bumps everywhere but slow down and say gooday to em and you'll be right.
Perth can't be much more than an 80L trip unless you take my advice above.
Safety....it's the locals that will have to worry...you're from Kal ! Pretty much same situation, be careful and carry lots of luck. Stop where you can obseve your vehicle lest it magically go for as joy ride, never to return.
Campsites I'll leave that advice to the locals. Usually overpriced and as full as a Kal local .
Fuel. If you don't carry enough for 6 hours how the heck do you get around Kal on a Friday night ? :))
AnswerID: 100134

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:29

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:29
not too worried about getting it flogged as the police chase would make good footage " suspect turning right onto wentworth st now - hes Accelarating 35, 36 37 no wait - yes now 37 almost 38 ,38" it would be the only police pursut to go through a school zone at legal speed
FollowupID: 358337

Follow Up By: Footloose - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:27

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:27
I'd heard that the locals were pretty slow but not THAT slow. They also know a bit about road rage, especially if you're a tad slow at working out which one the diesel pump is. Maybe they're in a hurry to leave ? Dunno why. There's nothing of note till you get to QLD :))))
FollowupID: 358345

Reply By: Kimberly Kruiser - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:34

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:34
Great Friday Funny!
AnswerID: 100135

Reply By: Vince NSW - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:55

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 16:55
Davo.
Can't help with the road conditions, but can answer re the roo bar and extras. Leave them on as the locals are very helpfull and will remove them for you. I suggest you park the rig in STh Perth overnight and it will be done by morning.
My Daughter lives in Sth Perth in a "quite" street. Looks like a nice area close to the city and with paths atround the river, but she has been broken into 3 thime in 6 mths.
Tried every type of alarm and lock short of a rottie with a 12 bore, but nothing seems to help.
Hope this is of assistance
Vince
AnswerID: 100140

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:02

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:02
Davoe ,
1. I drove from perth to Yellowdine a few months ago and the road is not in too badder condition, just watch out for old people driving with wide brimmed hats as you come into Sawyers Valley. LOL. Would you belive I got RBT'd in the middle of nowhere comming back between Merriden and Perth!?!

2. Now if I were you I'd be switching to some 33" BFG Mud Terrain's. I think it's neccessary as that's what most of the shinny clean 4wd's arround Perth seem to be running so it's obviously for a reason!

3. A Snorkel is extremely usful in proventing sucking in all the fumes from the masses of diesel powered polutting 4wds that choke up the streets of Perth.

4. In all seriousness there is one particular speed hump at the Woodvale Bullavard shopping centre that you may need L4 to get over! ;-) We got air off it in our younger days in a Charade and must have fair dinkum travelled for 5 meters before we sparked back to ground. :-O

5. Solar is no good, too much smogg mate, probally better to rig up some kind of pedal powered 3 stage charger... Resupplies aren't an issue as I've got plenty of home brew in the back fridge if you get stuck.

6. Road rage isn't so much of an issue now as I'm not on the road as much as I was earlier in the year. Should be ok, just stay clear of Gnagara road at about 5:45pm. (That's when I'm normally going home).
As far as speed cameras go, don't worry about them the norm nowadays is to just turn around and run over them if they take your photo. If you just spray paint your bullbar white they're so stupid they won't notice it's there and you'll be ok.
7. There's a place you could park up for the night, I think it's called "King's Park". Good views from there too, don't have the GPS on that one though...
8. Diesel, you'll find it's probally cheaper to stock up in Kal, especially if staying in the inner suburbs as they seem to think it's ok to charge twice as much as it's worth here. It is available in small quantities if require for an emergancy though.

Hope you have a good trip mate! Good luck with the sale!
AnswerID: 100141

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:05

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:05
Oh I forgot one thing, out here in Perth it's probally worthwhile carrying a second spare. You don't want to in get caught out with only one spare! You never know when you're going to have your first one pinched off the back of your vehicle when you duck in to get some milk from the shops! :-)
LOL
FollowupID: 358342

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:54

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:54
Thanks for the info. I hope the sort of people that hang around Kings park arnt the same as the ones around the public dunnies at the Adelaide parklands coz while there may not be many chics in Kal there is no way I am swapping over and driving a Nissan if you know what I mean
FollowupID: 358348

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:59

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:59
No worries, I can understand it being a bit of a worry headin out to the far west. Many have attempted the same trip as your planning only to find out it was far harder than they ever could have imagined.
I understand that kings parks is very close to subi, so if having a Nissan driven up your back drivway dosn't tickle your fancy (so to speak) I'd probally choose another place to stay. ;-)
FollowupID: 358349

Follow Up By: Pezza - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 23:40

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 23:40
Oooohhh! Tho jutht what are you twying to thay about me and my nitthan fellath! ( He says with a teapot stance)

P.S I'm joking, I'M JOKING!!!!
FollowupID: 358496

Reply By: V8Diesel - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:09

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:09
Re: Speed Camera's

Now remember kids, Constable Care says......
"if you see a multinova".....mount the kerb and run it over"

The road to Perth was upgraded years ago so the the road trains could get through, loaded with all that chewin' tobaccy, bib & brace overalls and banjo strings for yawl an' the kin folk.

Good campsite to be had in Hawkstone St, Cottesloe from memory. Pick the right verge and you could be "libbin next door to Alan" You gotta proper flash one Edwin, true.

Mates of mine used to go rabbit shooting with silenced Rugers at Point Resolution Park in Dalkeith (next to Kerry Stokes house), so I'd say the leafy western suburbs are good for a feed.
AnswerID: 100158

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:50

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:50
Mines big one too eh, Go do some fishin' in the river... Livin next door to Alan.
FollowupID: 358371

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:12

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:12
DAvoe

If you want some variation turn right at merredin to Bruce Rock, then follow the road to Quarading, York. Road is fairly straight and there is no traffic at al(except the odd tractor).
AnswerID: 100171

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:13

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:13
oops, your coming from kal so you turn left at merredin
FollowupID: 358363

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:21

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:21
Blow that! its all nice and shiny it took a whole bottle of t cut (white) to get all the marks off the side and I dont want to take it off road! seriosly though I usually drive at night so I dont see much anyway except damn big b doubles riding a couple of metres of each others tails 3 in a row slipstreaming. Amazing what you see at 2.00am
FollowupID: 358364

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:33

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:33
what about the bugs at night!
FollowupID: 358368

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:42

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:42
BUGS what sort of wilderness am I travelling to?
Plan is to visit a car lovers or sparklers diy car wash in the morning and get it ready
FollowupID: 358369

Reply By: ianmc - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 23:22

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 23:22
Acquaintance over here in West Vic said his rellies in Perth are upset.
Theirs is the only house in the street that hasnt been broken into & they are wondering whats wrong with it!
Davoe your rig looks OK, might suit me in a while if I complete sale of house but prolly a bit slow & thirsty!
AnswerID: 100204

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 15:05

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 15:05
might be lucky but my house hasnt been broken into in Kal despite the fact I used to work 7am till 9pm and have left it abandoned while working away.
van is a bit slow but compared to what? seems to get off the line ok and cruise at about 90kph-100 thirst is ok at around 15-16l per 100 and up to 18 when track and beach driving
FollowupID: 358428

Reply By: Member - sparra - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 10:56

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 10:56
who owns the pub in perth now? cheers sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 100236

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 17:09

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 17:09
goodday davoe
if were really lucky the locals may have caught up a bit and put some red and white tape up so you dont drive off the edge of the world

steve
AnswerID: 100267

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 17:12

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 17:12
I really dunno what you wanna come to Perth for !

Every foriegner I've ever met recons the place is crap.

Too much grafitti,
too much rain,
too many vietnamese,
too many aboriginals,
too many flies,
too many cars,
not enough police,
no-one has any manners,
every one is always grumpy,
beer costs too much (this is true ! ),
diesel costs too much (this is also true ! ),
the weather is always too hot,
all the girls are fat,
the shops are never open.

They say Kalgoorlie is the place to be !!!!!
AnswerID: 100268

Reply By: Cabbage - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 23:44

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 23:44
Geez Davoe,a big trip like that would present many difficulties
I reckon your probably better off puttin the whole kit and caboodle on a road train and catchin a plane.
That way you get to gargle a couple of Swan's and cos trucks are allowed to have bullbars the locals wont be a problem.
You might have to wait a couple days for it to turn up but that wouldn't be a problem, would it??
BTW do they still have that evil Hannans Handicap over there????

Leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but photos
AnswerID: 100326

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 13:57

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 13:57
yep raceround is still plenty of fun here! - if you are not rostered on
FollowupID: 358535

Sponsored Links