flinders ranges camping sites

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2080 Views:3593 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The good wife and i are going into the flinders ranges n/p and would like any advice on the better camping sites (tent), we believe the aroona valley is a great place to camp,also are the roads tough on tyres ?we will be traveling light,4x4 rodeo tray.going in two weeks, thanks in advance for any assistance, wayne &janice.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00
Aroona is a lovely valley, heapsa spots to camp there. Better than Bunyeroo, Brachina & Wilpena Pound as it is quieter.But if I had to list good campsites, it would take a two page reply! Try Sliding Rock, east of Beltana. This is also known as Cadnia. Heapsa good spots with fascinating mining relics & chimneys etc.
For a great day trip do Willow Springs. Seeing/doing is beleiving. Get hold of a RAA Flinders Ranges map. They have PAR's noted. These are Public Access Routes that are great trips, very interesting aspect taht the regular terrorist/tourist is not able to access. Ron & Viv Moon's book on the Flinders is good, but I reckon the best is 'Explore the Flinders Ranges' edited by S Barker & others, published by the Royal Geographical Society of S.A. No, the roads are not especially tough for tyres in good nick at the right pressure.
AnswerID: 7121

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00
Rick, thanks for your detailed reply to Rodeo Man. ExplorOz would be happy to put some of your trip suggestions into an alternative Flinders Ranges Trek Note, as our trip does promote the Bunyeroo, Brachina, Wilpena Pound route. If you would be interested in providing these notes to me please start communication to my direct email address listed under the Contact Us page on this site (look under the Home menu).
FollowupID: 3248

Follow Up By: Rodeo Man - Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the info rick, it will certainly help with our 'tour' plans, reading someone 'that has been there done that' can only make our trip into the unknown more enjoyable !! regards, wayne,janice.
FollowupID: 3252

Reply By: Salty01 - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00
Hi,
I have just returned from the Flinders and spent time checking out the PARs on Moolooloo Station off Glass Gorge Road out of Parachilna Gorge. The Hannigan's Gap track is a bit rough but taken slowly would pose no problems, the track to Nuccelina Mines is quite good, but once again slow. The roads around Brachina, Bunyeroo and Aroona are corrugated but fairly good. Camp sites in Aroona Valley and Brachina are well serviced with long drop toilets but you have to take your own firewood. For some very picturesque and great 4WDing, check out the Argadelles just out of Quorn in the lower Flinders, the climb to Mt. Arden is somewhat spectacular. If this is your first trip to the Flinders, I'm sure it won't be your last! Ruggedly beautiful!
Cheers Salty
AnswerID: 7243

Follow Up By: Rodeo Man - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks to you also salty01, it does look like the trip will be dry and dusty,okay on the par's, we intend to enjoy ourselves, just hope the farm rodeo doesn't fall apart on the corrugated roads !! still, we will be taking it carefully. Thanks again, W & J.
FollowupID: 3321

Sponsored Links