craigs hut

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 20:36
ThreadID: 20982 Views:2194 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all....just wanting some experienced info...
We are planning a trip from Latrobe Valley to Craigs hut over Easter. I was hoping someone could tell us the best way to go? Also, I am a bit of a sook when it comes to 4wd tracks, so whats the track like? Is it a challenge when its been raining? When dry, how would you rate it? Do you need much experience in 4wd to travel this way? When answering...keep in mind, I am not driving!!!! Lucky huh?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 20:45

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 20:45
When you get to Mansfield, stop at the information centre and get a free map. You then drive towards Bulla and if you get to the gates at the bottom of Bulla you have gone about 200 yards too far. You turn left over the bridge and follow the map, dead easy. The drive up, which takes about 45 min is a dirt road you could travel in a 120Y.

If you're not in a 4wd you simply stop at the parking spot and walk in, about 1.2 km. If you've got a 4wd you go a bit further and drive up the track. A bit greasy in wet weather but nothing serious. We went there last June, it was very wet and cold and we got snowed on. Just beautiful.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 101249

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 21:58

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 21:58
should be an easy trip walhalla -jamasien (scuse the typing red wines dont help) mansfield thru the gates and its a pretty easy trip very easy when not driving

ex valley ite
steve
AnswerID: 101259

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 22:00

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 22:00
Heyfield to Licola. Easy way is via Mt Skene to Jamieson then follow Jim's instructions. 1 day drive.
Scenic route Licola to Arbuckle Junction then left on the Sowy Range rd to Howitt plains. King Billy track to Lovicks Hut, Bluff Hut then right down to Bindaree flat on the Howqua river.(Nice spot to camp but will be busy) Up to then right at the Circut Rd until you get to the Clear Hills track. This route is mostly easy logging roads with about 5 KM of tracks requiring 4x4. In the wet it may be slippery in places but achievable by most medium to high clearance 4 wheel drives with all terrain tyres.
A few sections of rocky trails. Stunning views, cattlemens huts & Bindaree falls just some of the highlights. Will take about 1 & 1/2 days. Rooftop series of maps best in the area.
Cheers Craig..................
AnswerID: 101261

Reply By: Member Eric - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 01:17

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 01:17
When wet it is a real struggle if you take a Magna lol . Mate , it's a highway now .
AnswerID: 101281

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 21:21

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 21:21
They are doing works on the area at the moment..

Since Moggs and myself are selfish and dispise it, the changes like the 4 lane highway, gift shop, Village Cinema and McDonalds up there will be happy.. Why they leave home is beyond me.
AnswerID: 101376

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 21:40

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 21:40
Who do we talk to about getting a Hungry Jack's there?

I don't like McDonalds.

A decent Pizza joint would be good too.
FollowupID: 359326

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 00:01

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 00:01
Why visit a movie prop when there are dozens of other huts in better spots dotted all over the high country?

I hope that's not the only spot in the high country you are going.

Try the Wonnangatta trip in the Trek notes. I know it's mine but at least it's got real history to it.

Hope you enjoy the trip.

Dave
AnswerID: 101525

Sponsored Links