South East QLD knowledge anyone?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 22:06
ThreadID: 21010 Views:2688 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Had an opportunity to do a day trip in South East QLD today and we went to Peach Trees camping area and then travelled to Charlie Moreland camping area via Sunday Creek Road and both areas were great.

Unfortunately it was a flying visit so we couldn't check the area out any further but we would love to know if anyone has any knowledge of any good four wheel driving in the area other than Landcruiser Park.

I noticed a number of tracks running off Sunday Creek Road so would be very interested to hear any feedback from anyone.

Cheers

Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MrBitchi - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:26

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:26
Brian, get yourself a copy of "Dirty Weekends in South East QLD", available from most camping and 4WD outlets. Has heaps of trips with complete trek notes etc.

Cheers, John.
AnswerID: 101409

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 10:09

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 10:09
Hi John,

I think you may be a mind reader as I just grabbed a copy last week but haven't yet had a good look at it.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 359354

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 10:15

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 10:15
If you are after some "hairy" climbs or just some good challenging tracks there are both in Kenilworth State Forest (around Charlie Moreland) and around Mt Mee
(there is a nice drive in the Dirty Weekends book through Mt Mee SF)
You will need the free Stare Forest Permits for both of these areas.
Just head up a track and see where it goes.
Cheers
Oskar
AnswerID: 101415

Follow Up By: David T - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 13:11

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 13:11
Oskar, I noticed you have an Evakool RF47 in your Profile.

If you wouldn't mind a couple of questions -

do you find the Freezer/Fridge capabilities useful?

does it keep the fridge section cold enough while being used as a fridge/freezer?

how well does it work as a fridge only if you remove the divider?

what is your battery consumption like?

Thanks
David T
FollowupID: 359366

Follow Up By: Member - Sparky - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 15:17

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 15:17
Oskar
great to see you yesterday...albeit briefly. Sorry we missed out on seeing the new block. Welcome to the -$M club!
Sparky.
Have to get myself orgainsed to sell the Blue boy :(
FollowupID: 359372

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 21:46

Monday, Mar 07, 2005 at 21:46
David it's all good
We use it as a freezer a fridge or both.
We have to turn the thermostat up (ie. warmer) when we take the divider out or it gets too cold.
The fibre-glass construction and the top quality insulation convinced us.
We paid $870 each including the 240V power-pack for 2 units.
The divider works well.
Probably uses the same amount of power as any other. We generally turn it off at night as the insulation is so good.
They're all good units but our pick is the RF47 (of course)
Cheers
Oskar
FollowupID: 359420

Follow Up By: David T - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:08

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:08
Thanks for the info Oskar
FollowupID: 359454

Reply By: Patrick - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 19:53

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 19:53
Hi Brian,

Looking at your set-up you should be able to get to most places around SEQ without too much of a problem. There are so many beautiful spots within two hours of town that it would take too long to mention them here.

In saying that it does depend on what you enjoy doing - forest tracks, rough trails, testing hills and crossings and of course camping areas.

My favorite areas are the Kennilworth areas at Charlie Moreland over the creek and up the hills to play in a magnificent rainforest. Just a magic spot. Mt Mee is always testing, Seven Miles Digging at Nanango lots of fun especially in the wet.

I find the big private parks at Landcruiser, The Farm and Black Duck at Gatton a bit too commercial for my tastes with far too many people around. I have just returned from a small private park on the Main Range not far from Cunningsham Gap. It's called Janowen Hills 4WD Park and is run by a local H & W team of Owen and Jan who also operate the local shop. We were first introduced to this spot at a Christmas venue for my 4WD Club and it did not dissapoint. Many levels of tracks are available, lovely camping spots and clean showers and toilets. You can play there all day for $12 per car with a minimum of two vehicles as they operate a 'Buddy System' to ensure safety at all times. Camping is a $5 per adult which reduces after day one for those staying over.

Apart from those the Border Ranges behind Beaudesert and Rathdowney offer great senery and exploration opportunities.

Many of the places I have mentioned are in the Dirty Weekend so just get out there and do it, even look at joining a club as they can offer a vast amount of locations on regular events.

Where ever you go, enjoy this beautiful country.

Cheers,

Patrick

AnswerID: 101610

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 22:06

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2005 at 22:06
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the information.

Could you please drop me an email to ryjoe@ozemail.com.au with the contact info for Janowen Hills.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 359518

Sponsored Links