Vic high Country- must do's

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 at 22:55
ThreadID: 21256 Views:2715 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
hi all,
Have been told to take a couple of weeks holidays prior to Anzac weekend and am in throws of putting together a trip to high country. Intend entering from Tom Groggin as I am Canberra based.
First time I have ventured south but young bloke does Yr 12 this year so trips north this winter are a no go.
While I have several trek notes from usual sources I just want to ask the regular visitors to these areas if there are any Must Do's as far as particular roads and tracks are concerned,so I can work them into the itinery.
Dont mind hard 4wdriving but at same time not seeking extreme rockhopping.
Some challenging water crossings would be good.
any indications of lenght of particular recommended tracks and time taken to complete would be appreciated.
regards
Howard

Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 02:28

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 02:28
Wonnangatta Valley
Talbotville and Grant
Dargo Pub
Blue Rag Range
Billy Goat Bluff - 9km with lots and lots of altitude/attitude and the view at the top is superb
Haunted Stream (for lots of river crossings 30-40ish)

If you are coming from Tom Groggin, Davies Plains Tk to Benambra via Limestone.

Dave

PS Got a gps? Look up www.geocaching.com before you go. There's a few out there in the high country.
AnswerID: 102627

Follow Up By: madcow - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 07:28

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 07:28
All good tracks listed above. Just did Haunted stream along with Talbotville. Bald top track just outside of Talbotville is a ripper. Top to bottom descends 700mt across the river and back up 700mts, sensational! Billy goat bluff has been graded and although steep in pinches not as hard ( in the dry) as it used to be but an excellent drive up to the firetower for a sensational view. Mt Pinnabar is a good drive just outside of Tom Groggin.

cheers
FollowupID: 360305

Follow Up By: Member - Howard- Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 12:27

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 12:27
thanks Dave and Madcow,
Have most of those covered.
where exactly is Haunted Stream cannot spot it on Hema map.
Dave-
I was thinking of using tom groggin,Mt hope Mccarthys ,Poplars Limestone hut, native dogflat, hells gate ,bindi, omeo.
How would you rate that compared to davies plain/limestome.
I have a GPS so will check out geocache.
thanks
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 360327

Follow Up By: madcow - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 13:27

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 13:27
The start of the Haunted Stream is located on the road between Omeo and Bairnsdale. Someone else may be able to give you GPS co-ordinates. It used to be sign posted but there is only the post next to the road without the sign. It was a great drive but gave up counting the crossings after we counted 40. You will have to drive through a farm gate to get access which is not a problem, just leave the gate as you find it and there is still a sign situated near the gate.

cheers
FollowupID: 360331

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 14:41

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 14:41
One end of the Haunted Stream track is at Tambo Crossing on the Omeo Highway - the other end is at Dawson City.

All of this is visible on the Bairnsdale Special - 1:250k

We left from Swifts Creek, which takes you through to Dawson City.

I can email you either a jpg of the map section (with track marked), or otherwise the Ozi Track File for the above.

The track is also listed (at Trek 11) in the Boiling Billy pub, Tracks of the High Country

Swifts Creek is at 37 15.795 S 147 43.294 E
Tambo Crossing is at 37 26.987 S 147 49.566 E

Email me if interested

isanders @ ozemail . com . au
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 360339

Follow Up By: Member - Howard- Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 16:56

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 16:56
Thanks for info to date, all very helpfull.
Ivan, will take you up on offer of Jpeg
have emailed you.
thanks again
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 360345

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 07:39

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 07:39
It's a good thing that you're doing it as early as this. Unknown to most, the parks service is closing all access to these areas from the NSW side on MAY 1st this year - a month earlier than the usual closure on the June long weekend.

Have fun! It's my favourite 4WD'ing in the world up there..... :)
AnswerID: 102631

Reply By: Well 55 - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 10:47

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 10:47
G'day Howard, get the Hema Map, Victorian High Country as it covers the whole area you will be going in and plane your trip from Tom Groggin to Mansfield.

There is a lot to see and two weels should be enough time to do it.
AnswerID: 102640

Follow Up By: Member - Howard- Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 13:49

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 13:49
Hi Tony,
I have the Hema map,
unfortunately map shows tracks and I can look at ups and downs from looking at contour lines but it doesnt tell me about road conditions , creek crossings etc that is why I am seeking advice from the people who have been there.
Hope you have been getting a bit of moisture out at the Flat.
things are still very dry at our place at Boorowa , we have 3 crossings over river and not a drop of water at any . the river isnt flowing for up to a couple of km at a time.
hope to catch up with yopu again soon
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 360332

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:59

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:59
Mt Pinnabar accross to the Snowy river. (2 days)
Deddick trail to Jacksons crossing.
Buchan, Bruthen to Haunted Stream. 50+ crossings.
Dogs grave to the Dargo river.
Dargo to Grant, Crooked river. 23 crossings & Talbotville. (good base camp)
Day trip to Billy Goat Bluff
Day trip to Blue Rag Range
Cynthia spur to Wonnangatta
Zeka spur to King Billy (Cattleman Huts) Pikes Flat/Bindaree.
Mt Stirling, Craigs Hut to lake Cobbler.
Buffalo range to Myrtleford.
This rough route has many highlights not mentioned in between passing goldfields, waterfalls, huts, caves, etc as well as the great views. The Rooftop series of maps has some of the best added detail with this on.
In reality it takes about 3 months to see all the Must do's in the Vic High Country.
Despite it all being so close compared to other states you may only travel 50 kms in a day, even less if it rains. Rather than try & see it all at once,(& you wont) if you have the time, plan to do a few trips & do an area well. Dargo to Wonnangatta could easily fill 2 weeks,
Cheers Craig...................... PS. Bring ya coat, it's going to be cold & wet.
AnswerID: 102717

Reply By: NissanNut - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 23:22

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 23:22
What an awesome post this is....credit to this forum. Ive saved myself a copy of this for next year, i plan on doing a few trips also in the same area's, coming down from Canberra.

Thanks Guys.

NUTS!
AnswerID: 102735

Sponsored Links