Road and Track Tourer Camper Trailer by Aussieoutback

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005 at 21:25
ThreadID: 21278 Views:8886 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Just looking at the above secondhand camper trailer - but can't find much info on them. Wondering if anyone has personal experience with them and how they have found them. According to their website they have won a couple of awards, but it looks like it may have been some time ago. They seem to be a rugged, lightweight unit with all the usual features (kitchen, water, power) but perhaps not as heavy-duty or roomy as their conventional counterparts.

Many thanks
Jezza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 08:17

Thursday, Mar 17, 2005 at 08:17
The people who do the Shippe Shape roof top tent have bought the moulds etc and are apparently starting to re-make these with a Shippe Shape fitted on top. They are located in Thornleigh Sydney.
AnswerID: 102754

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 00:52

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 00:52
Check out my photos in my member list If it's the same thing your talking about I brought it in 1983 around $3000.00 its been on a lot of trips with me, it has been rebuilt wonce after a roll over, I still own it and use it at least twice a month
[ View Image]
[ View Image]
[ View Image]

It's been good too me and it has been OFFROAD

Regards
Richard
ps Hope this works
AnswerID: 102859

Follow Up By: Jezza - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:45

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:45
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply, a couple of questions if I may;

the rollover (bit of a worry!!), do you think this was because of the campers light weight, or was there another reason?

do you find the tent and boxes to be waterproof, I am concerned about the boxes when crossing rivers?

can you open the kitchen up when the tent is setup over it?

have you got an annex on yours to provide shade, if so was it a factory option or an aftermarket?

do you find the original chescold fridges work well - I am thinking 240volt before leaving, 12 volt when on the road and gas when stationary)?

Many thanks again,
Jezza

FollowupID: 360554

Follow Up By: jenkie - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 23:59

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 23:59
Jezza
Answering some of your questions.
We have owened one for 15years or so been to the cape the kimberley
the gulf Frazer Island at least once a year. We have had no problems with the trailer except out of one really steep exit out of a creek at the cape. We bent the towball and tongue but this would have been avoided if we had put an offroad hitch on it.
The light weight is great expecially on the beach. We carried a couple of jerry cans in a holder at the back of the trailer as well.
We found after the first major trip with the trailer that we prefered to use a dome tent away from the trailer as we found back then a lot of national parks you could not set up correctly as the camping area had poles around the sites and you had to set up on the road.This meant you could walk the tent easiy to a flat spot.
We used to put a piece of foam in the flap under the fridge vent for dust and water. We crossed the jardine - you could back in 1992 and had no problems with the water.
If you use the tent you can put it on either side of the trailer.When we used the tent we used to put it on the storage side, made for easier use of the bedding your clothes etc.
We also had the open fly awning which we used over the kitchen which we ended up altering to attach 2 sides on with velcro which we could put on in windy conditions or rain but leave off when not needed.
One problem we found with the frig was corrigated roads unwound the spring in the regulator which slowed down the flow of gas. This also affected the stove. Another thing my husband changed was putting a heavier wire to the frig for when running on 12 volt.
We have just purchased a trackabout tenttrailer for the next phase of our life. Getting too old to get bedding out everynight wanted to put up tent part and bed be there.
We still have the road and track and if we could have got a bed base attached somehow would have done that. The new one is 700 kilos unladen and the road and track under 300kilo. Husband certainly prefered towing the fiberglass one one the beach.
The Road and Track has great points would also be great using a 30second tent
The Trackabout has great points in different ways
Will make up our minds which one we really prefer after our 12week holiday to WA in 3 weeks time.

Jenkie

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 360634

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 19:56

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 19:56
Jezza
most of the answers listed below I would have to agree with
The rollover was youth drive on a drying dirt road it did a complete flip braking the tow ball (which has been replaced with a off road hitch) and some cracked fiberglass.
I've always had some dust getting in, did the same with the foam, also the newer trailer had better sealing
We have the tent only and annex was a factory option
We don't set the tent up much I've alway slept in the back of the Utes or wagons
The main reason I brought it was that you can use the kitchen anytime you want and do not have to set up the thing.
And 22 years ago there wasn't much out there that could do that
The first 3 way fridge was not much chop have a new SA one only problem is that you have to take it out and turn it upside down and then plug it back in if it's been stetting around for a while.
We have a OZTENT RV3 now and use it with the trailer

Regards

Richard
AnswerID: 103115

Follow Up By: Jezza - Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 22:46

Saturday, Mar 19, 2005 at 22:46
Many thanks for all the valuable information that has been provided. I now have a much greater confidence in the camper based on the experiences shared by those above. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers,
Jezza
FollowupID: 360715

Sponsored Links