Recommendation of a good 4WD Servicing establishment in Eastern Suburbs of Sydn

Submitted: Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2142 Views:4457 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I am about to purchase a 1993 Toyota Landcruiser Troop Carrier in preparation for an around Australia trip commencing in January 2003. I currently live in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney and was after a recommendation on a reputable 4WD servicing establishment to get the vehicle in tip top condition prior to heading off in the new year with family for 12 months.
Any advice and recommendations would be greatly welcomed.
Cheers
Scott
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00
Depends on what you want to do and spend !! Am in Sydney so email me millsstephen@bigpond.com and may be able to give you some usefull contacts !!
AnswerID: 7383

Reply By: Scott - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

Steve,

Thanks, I am not intending on spending a great deal on modifications etc, just want it to be mechanically sound for the trip. I will email you.

Cheers
Scott
AnswerID: 7384

Reply By: mudgutz - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

westend diesel at wetherill park ..i know there out with us westies but there the best in sydney if you want the truck to go all day and go well
invest the 1hour for the drive
AnswerID: 7399

Follow Up By: Scott - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002 at 00:00
Mudgutz,

Thanks for the advice and I will certainly keep Westend diesel high on my list. Do you know if they do other work such as servicing the front hubs and diff work?
Scott
FollowupID: 3397

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00
Have you told them that they can list their business under 4WD Servicing on ExplorOz for free so that people can find them when they're on ExplorOz.com Would you pls mind letting them know this?
FollowupID: 3465

Follow Up By: Mudgutz - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

hi Michelle
great forum and websight enjoy it a great deal.......i am not personally connected with any of these businesses i just recomend them
because i have found them to be good when i used them ......however next time i am in one of them i will be happy to pass on your message
sorry i havent looked at the advertising part of your sight so im not familiar with how it works....however all these mobs have a shingle up allready perhaps if i post the urls you guys may be able to whack up a hyperlink
FollowupID: 3468

Reply By: mudgutz - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

yeah scott ....they will do the lot but i only use them for the engine
i tackle most other stuff myself to save some bucks
other good mobs ive found in sydney

the gearbox factory in greenacre....he will do a drive in drive out rebuild on your box and case for 1500 .......cheapest in town plus he is one of the only two machine shops in sydney graden gears at granville being the other that tackles em on sight ..he does em for everyone meaning when you go to anybody else they send it to him and bung more $$ on top.

bouncer 4x4 at smithfield these boys have a truck that goes in the tough truck challenge they are full on 4wd heads that know there way around a trooper good for mods like suspension etc and spare parts

nick mannell motors hornsby...this bloke knows his way around an engine bay good for engine mods ,turbos.. engine, box swaps and happy to have a chat about the job

franks spares at smithfeild good for parts a little exxy but

pedders blacktown...nick over there is a 4wd head knows his tyres and suspension real well he loves a chat about your truck and will part with his experience

blokes to give a big miss.....
all model 4x4 at revesby this bloke is a rude p^%$k who treats everyone like an idiot......when i questioned him regarding the diffrence between a trooper with A pillars and a 75 trayback with a windscreen frame he tried to tell me they were the same so i figured he knows less than me about the truck which is a worry cause i dont have a business fixing them....however you sometimes have to see him cause hes the only bloke in town with the part he does wreck heaps of 75s but keep a good hold on to your wallet

hope ive helped good luck with the truck they are a great thing
AnswerID: 7538

Follow Up By: Scott - Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00
Mudgutz,

The information you have provided me is absolutely fantastic and I really appreciate you taking the time to pass on your experience. Unfortunately I am not mechanically inclined at all and thus will need to have everything besides the very basics done in the workshop, so good advice will hopefully save me a few dollars to use on the trip. My family and i are getting very excited about the Big Trip and we are actually picking up the Troopy tomorrow.
Thanks again for your advice and if you have any other tips they would be most appreciated. Our plan is to do the lap of Oz in a clockwise direction with the troopy towing our 1984 18ft Millard family van commencing on the first weekend in January 2003. I am getting out of the Army after 21 years and this is my present to my family for putting up with me being away alot without them. We have been looking at a number of the websites that provide advicing on caravaning and the like.

Cheers
Scott
FollowupID: 3476

Reply By: mudgutz - Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00
good on you scott wish my mob could join you.......weve seen a lot of oz
hope you dont have to many probs ...weve never towed a van so i cant help you much there .......but if you get the troopy right you should have a good trip...have a look at the trip notes on this sight ......there mostly pretty good from what ive compared to what ive actually driven......michelle and david and associates have obviously driven much of oz as well........ if i can help im only to glad.......mudgutz
AnswerID: 7601

Sponsored Links