Getting a Garmin 76CS

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 22:09
ThreadID: 21478 Views:2469 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there everyone, thinking seriously of getting a Garmin GPSMap 76CS and city navigator. The 76CS has a whopping 115meg of memory and autorouting, links to everything and can tell me to a poofteenth how high I am off sealevel and which way's north. Looked also at the 60CS,looks schmicker but 60meg only and about a hundred cheaper, any thoughts before I lay down the hard earned?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boo - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 22:56

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 22:56
Evening Bonz..
I havent had anything to do with the 76CS. I was lucky enough to stumble into Cash Converters 12 months ago and got hold of a 'Garmen - Street pilot III' at a fantastic price of $725. What sort of price are they charging for the 76cs? if their half as good as the one I got hold of your gunna be wrapped with it. Personaly I think your better off getting the extra memory if the cost isnt too prohibiting, its the only thing I've had to keep an eye on with mine and delete unwanted trips out to free it back up.
AnswerID: 103663

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 17:00

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 17:00
76CS is about $890 from GPSOz cant find them on our shop site here, but sent an email justincase. Yes I think memory is handy too.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 361271

Reply By: Big Woody - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 22:57

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2005 at 22:57
Hi Bonz,

I have had the GPS Map60cs for a while now. I have loaded the Complete Metroguide, Pacific Bluecharts from Sydney to the Whitsundays, and the Pacific Tides V6 and the memory has about 40 Mb of data in it including all of my saved routes and tracks etc.

Mine gets more use in the yacht than anything else. I purchased this model because it is waterproof and there is not any other colour screen available that compares to this in the full sun on a yacht.

I think the main difference between the 76 and the 60 as you said is the 76 has double the memory and it also has a backlit keypad which would be handy at night. I think they are pretty much the same after that. I do prefer the keypad at the bottom of the unit on the 60 rather than at the top on the 76.

The biggest advantage with the Garmin units is that I create all of my routes at home on the PC which sometimes involves detailed routes through the reef. Then just download it onto the GPS and go sailing and just follow the route on the chart. I haven't used it too much in the 4wd yet, mostly for hiking and motorbike treks. If you put the time in to creating your routes it will even give on-screen directions on where to turn etc...
Which ever decision you make you will be happy mate. My brother sells and repairs these units and told me I had to by Garmin because in 20 years of business in communications he has never had a Garmin item in for repair. That must say something.

Good Luck,
Brett

p.s. - can't wait for some Garmin topographical charts.
AnswerID: 103664

Follow Up By: Utemad - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 08:11

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 08:11
pfffffffft I took my Garmin Etrex Legend in for repair. It broke the plastic clip the lanyard attaches too LOL.

When I took it in to Garmin the guy said it happens all the time but is not warrantable. Reckons that since the Etrex is a sealed unit you would have to replace the whole unit. Very understanding though. I imagine he has copped a fair bit of abuse over it in the past.

Other problem is that the rubber waterproofing and hand grip has fallen off. Out of warranty now so I just glued it back on. Wouldn't think it was waterproof anymore though.

Still only minor problems really. Although it is only 17 months old.
FollowupID: 361200

Sponsored Links