80 series water leak ??

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 17:53
ThreadID: 21528 Views:2126 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G/Day all.... I was tinkering in the back of my 80 series standard and had cause to remove the gromet that is outside the cabin about right under where the factory jack lives, to my horror a stream of water flowed out. Now concerned I removed the one on the otherside and had a similar experience. Now after some experimentation with the hose I have figured that the water is about flowing in through those black plastic flapped air vents on the rear vertical edge of the back windows. Must have entered during the heavy rain here in Sydney this past week.

Is this a common occurrance ? And just what is the purpose of those vents (read that as can I seal them up and not cause some serious follow on issue, such as the suffocation of Mrs Andy).

Thanks in advance

Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 22:11

Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 at 22:11
I've never had it happen to mine. Those areas do seem to get a fair amount of bulldust in em. I'll be interested in the replies.
AnswerID: 103918

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 15:08

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 15:08
Hi Andy

I just had a look at my 80 series - its a GXL but the same vent I think. Can't see how water could get in unless you left the car on its side. Mine's been in heaps of heavy driving rain - going along as well as parked - in the past 8 years and never a sign of water ingress - not to mention commercial car washes with the high pressure hose. I reckon hitting it hard with the hose pointed upwards would let water in, but not sure that's your basic problem. I'd be looking for seals around windows & doors I reckon.

The fact that it was both sides seems to be a bit funny - what ever is crook is the same both sides.

I wouldn't be closing the vents up - they are the only outlet for air when all the windows are shut, and the 80 has pretty good sealing on the doors and windows. In fact, my biggest problem is that the air path to the right hand side one gets blocked by the stuff i carry, and it really slows down air flow from the fan into the cabin. But even then no water ingress.

Only other thought - haven't had tail light glasses off have you?

Good luck
Max

AnswerID: 103952

Reply By: kev 57 - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 15:59

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 15:59
andy,you will probably find the silver weather strips along the bottoms of your rear windows to blame..have a look here...http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/tech/window_leaks.html
regards
kev57
AnswerID: 103953

Reply By: AndyMac - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 16:14

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 16:14
Thanks fo rth info guys, it is the vents at fault, as mine is a standard Kev i don't have those silver strips around the windows or the corresponding holes to leak. Never noticed this problem before. I doubt normal rain would be an issue but last week I was out for an hour or so and it was screaming down. a little more experimentation is on order I guess.

Those holes in the underside of rear panels (right under the jack area on the right and same spot on the left) should they be sealed or open ?

Thanks again.

Andy
AnswerID: 103955

Follow Up By: udm - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 23:57

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 23:57
Underneath the jack you´ll find wiring looms that go from that side to the other side of the car, check the rubber seals, as I noticed mud in mine, and it was a loose rubber seal. Those holes are not meant to be open.

Ulises
FollowupID: 361474

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 13:48

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 13:48
Also check the sealing around the tail lights
AnswerID: 104023

Sponsored Links