Camp site etiquette?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:10
ThreadID: 21543 Views:4160 Replies:22 FollowUps:30
This Thread has been Archived
Now maybe I'm just jellouse but does anyone else find it an invasion of privacy when camping in the vacinity of others who have magnifficent sound sytems in there 4by's that weather it be day or night they play there music at a level that fairdinkum drowns out anything that you may want to play on your standard factory set up.

Spent a couple of nights at Pineapple flat over easter with the wife and young bloke ( along with a squillion others) I new it was going to be busy and that we would have to share camp grounds with several other campers so was ready for the associated problems, but just trying to listen to the footy on sat'dy arvo to get the odd score with ordinary reception had to be done inside the car rather than in the camp chair enjoying the surrounds, and any music Iwanted to play had to be turned up to a level that would cause my speakers to object slightly!

I was ready for the late night ra ra's that go with camping in a well used camp site (plenty of bourbon) but the "invasion of privacy" during normal hours was a real pain in the assssss.

Gee I could really go on about it being a reflection of society and so on and the ever increasing "stuff you Jack I'm allright" attitude thats creaping into life, and how...................................

Happy Easter...................Browny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:16

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:16
That's one of the reasons I spent easter at home doing some chores. Public holidays in popular spots are just not enjoyable with the ignoramuses who think we all want to listen to their choice of music 24 hours a day.
AnswerID: 103973

Follow Up By: ev700 - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:39

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:39
That's why we're home over Easter. As well there is the risk of collision with the agro nutters on the beach.

Maybe next hols we'll get away earlier and go further. We're in Brisbane and there has got to be somewhere away from the 'use it and abuse it' brigade.

Serious campers are a joy to be near: privacy, politeness and good cheer.

EV700
FollowupID: 361465

Follow Up By: porlsprado - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 07:13

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 07:13
I'm with EV700. I'm in brissie too, at home doing stuff. My next door neighbour left 4am on Friday morning to go up to Teewah but u know i've seen that beach stretch at Easter and you couldn't swing a possum. Tents set up sharing tent pegs for 5km and three deep. Traffic worse than the highway, and every young idiot in their parent's 4WD trying to impress their mates and do donuts on the beach.
FollowupID: 361478

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 08:35

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 08:35
PP,

Thats exactly it, these blokes had the best noise box with the worst choice of music, fairdinkumbleepe from the eighties.
FollowupID: 361483

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:20

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:20
Depends if I like the music or not. A bit of Zeplin, floyd or hendrix is magic in the bush if ya chewing on magic mushrooms but yeah some may not appreciate it.
AnswerID: 103974

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:45

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:45
Ah yes...

Moby Dick, No Quarter, The Lemon Song.

It could only sound better in the UK. Their sound systems are better there you know?
FollowupID: 361466

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:56

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:56
What about the sounds of nature CD, bird calls, the mountain stream, the sounds of the wind in the trees and the crack of thunder...sounds better than the real thing when it's cranked up

Great pics...
FollowupID: 361468

Follow Up By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 23:30

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 23:30
Hendrix, Dylan, etc - but once I reach the outback, all music's off. Better to hear the sounds of the bush, and what the truck's doing...
FollowupID: 361471

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 08:41

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 08:41
MD,

hehe, except for the mushies I agree! also some blues, Stevie Ray Vaughn Jeff Lang (local aussie) etc,etc

Browny
FollowupID: 361485

Reply By: ev700 - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:30

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:30
Where the problem is coming from is the upgrading of roads and the RV fashion - any fool can get to most places now and many do just that.

I don't object to the sounds of fun and enjoyment. The sound of kids is great (even the occasional howl).

I don't mind modern generators except through the night when close by.

But I find it really hard to put up with (in descending order):

- the sort of noise and interference created by drunken louts;

- domestic blues;

- the dawn chorus of loud mouths and their %*(&^$# noise (do they really HAVE to bang everything?);

- radios; and

- recorded music.

Could all use headphones for music and radio, Please. Really carries across dead ground and valleys.

EV700

AnswerID: 103976

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 08:48

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 08:48
EV,

I know what your saying, but these blokes had the lot, lift kits, muddies etc. they could just about camp anywhere, but for obviouse readings they choose to camp at a location easily accessible.

Browny
FollowupID: 361487

Follow Up By: Rod W - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 09:42

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 09:42
That's cause they are childish and like to show off with their mean machines on how pathetic they are.
FollowupID: 361582

Reply By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:31

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:31
G'day Browny

I can definately relate to that. Thats why we tour and camp in off peak times.
Don't get me wrong I love a bit of happy hour and camp fire comeradery, meeting new people and sharing info etc but I do like my own space as well. What really gets up my nose is 80km of bush wilderness with no bugger in cooee and some idiot has to come and set camp 20 metres away from you.

Cheers
AnswerID: 103977

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:02

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:02
KK,

You are right with the off peak option, but work for the missus and I dictates a bit.

I'm with you in regards to camp fire frevolity, nothing better than getting on the pish around the fire, but in your own space.

The couple next to us were beauties when he saw me heading off with bow saw in hand he yelled out to come and grab his stock of fire wood as they were heading off that day and wouldn't need it.........A free fire that night.

Browny
FollowupID: 361491

Reply By: Member -Peter (York 4x4) - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:42

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:42
And they call it " Getting away from it all " Yea right!
AnswerID: 103978

Reply By: Diamond (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:47

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 21:47
does this post sound like anyone you know .
nick and eric lolololololololol.
cheers
AnswerID: 103979

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 22:02

Sunday, Mar 27, 2005 at 22:02
they only do that at 1 am don't they Jim, and shine their headlights into peoples tents? They don't seem to get too stirred up at everyone elses brekkie times. LOL

spose they did get their maps and GPSs to get lost on farmland. hahhaha

Eric may go ploughing paddocks next
FollowupID: 361469

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:08

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:08
I heard about people like that and they all belong to EO. LOL LOL
FollowupID: 361508

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 14:04

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 14:04
bit like a bush fire Ruth, last thing to be put out is the fireys. You wait til the EO National at B'vCvP. Party all night, well hardly party if they arrive all night.
FollowupID: 361527

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 16:12

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 16:12
Hey I thought this was a Simpson Desert EO Gathering - I'll have to be on my best behaviour if it's here! But wait, I can play up at Robe this year - will even get a new nightie!!!!
FollowupID: 361532

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 16:47

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 16:47
Ruth, with promises like that we may make a dis-Robe gathering....... LOL
FollowupID: 361535

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:09

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:09
Very good John - very droll. LOL. (Did you hear about my dancing display in the Pub the other Friday night?) Ha ha ha - my husband couldn't believe his eyes.
FollowupID: 361549

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 21:45

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 21:45
I thought it was a poor one actually too, but I hadn't heard about your dancing, nooo. People can never talk about mine these dayse either, it seldom happens.

The breakfast room looks great there for what were told was a great breakfast.
FollowupID: 361557

Follow Up By: Redback - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:51

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 14:51
NO comment
FollowupID: 361631

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 15:42

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 15:42
wotsthis, no bite from a redback camper...........? Line up for breakfast of bacon and eggs. No food poisoning there.
FollowupID: 361636

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 07:15

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 07:15
That is the reason we travel alone and camp away from everyone(except EO get-togethers) because I am one big bad neighbour. Whether it be camping or back at home. I simply go over and tell people that I do not really care for their music and would appreciate it very much if they could turn it down...in a nice way...hahahaha. If we are camped alone at a place and someone else arrives I usually suggest they camp a long way away as I snore, run a diesel generator, fart loudly and play Vivaldi at mega decibels....they normally get the message. On one occassion potential co-campers asked why we had put four jerry cans about 50 metres between our camp and the billabong. We explained that when the crocs knock em over it will give us time to get on top the roofrack and out of harms way. They left without saying g'day.

Another PITA are Fritz's in Britz's with campervans with sliding doors. They just couldnt understand why I lost my cool after they had opened and closed the door about 100 times in a space of a couple of hours. Bloody rude Australians! "Yeah mate, and the best thing you can do is to F..............F and go camp somewhere else".

I must add that we have moved camp on more than one occassion to get away from noisy campers, especially if the numbers were against us.
"Ya gotta know when to hold it"
"Know when to fold it"
"Know when to walk away"
"Know when to run"

With apologies to Kenny Rogers....hahahahaha

Hope you had a good Easter!
AnswerID: 103991

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:12

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:12
Willem,

LOL, some ripper advice, I definately employed "the Gambler" theory, allthough after a bucket of bourbon an sat'dy night the odds didn't seem to bad............hehe.

But I must say that by about midnight everything was turned down so no problems there, just trying to enjoy my own stuff wes the drama.
FollowupID: 361493

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:06

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:06
I'm camping with you next time Willem!!!! And I'm going to tie my tent up to the bullbar of your car - just like I see people doing here. Constantly amazes me that with a 30 acre campground people always camp right next to the next camper even when they don't know them. Before we put the fence around our house we would find tents tied up to the verandah and washing on our private clothes line.
Having said that - I have no hesitation in asking people to turn down their music, party or whatever (and I mean when I'm camping in the middle of the SD not just here) - I must be a scary sight in my nightie with my whip and chair (all lion tamers have them) - occasionally I have to pull out al stops. I also ask people (at racetime) that it is up to them to negotiate with their neighbours about the noise levels and parties but if it wakes me up in my house - watch out.
Yes it is a bit different in the way outback and yes we've employed The Gambler - in the middle of the night also. But, there's plenty of ways to skin cats - especially the really loud Vivaldi at 6:00 a.m. and emptying drums full of bottles into another drum at 6:10 a.m. etc. etc.
(Willem is really scary though - but not as scary as me).
FollowupID: 361507

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:16

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:16
Hmmmm....... Is that a proposition Ruth? LOL You are welcome to camp with me any time...you know that :o)

I can just imaging you with your charming smile and steely eye telling campers where to go....hahahahahaha
FollowupID: 361510

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 15:39

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 15:39
Sounds like the campers might not be the only ones told where to go :))

I must admit to having never had the pleasure of camping in the grounds there...camped out along the river a few times but that was a long time ago. Brings back memories.

I usually can't handle campgrounds, I like to wake up not hearing the bulldozers moving the empties :)

Didn't have any option when I was at Uluru last time. (solo trip) Noisy BBQ about 5m from my tent, one very large drunken nordish lady yelling out "vere is da man...I vant da man" until all hours. "Yeah", I thought as I shivered in my sleeping bag, "and I vant da gun !!"

:))
FollowupID: 361531

Reply By: NedKelly - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:11

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:11
Its a big country. I usually try to camp away from others, I mean isn't that the point ...to get away from it all? ;)
AnswerID: 104001

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:19

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:19
Ned,

Your right, but we had some friends that were going to join us but travel at a different time so we picked somewhere relatively easy to find, they didn't front anyway.

Browny
FollowupID: 361494

Reply By: Member - Snatchem (WA) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:18

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:18
Even if it's music you like, it's annoying when it's too loud and the same inconsiderate morons that play it loud are the first one's to get hostile if you say anything to them.

inconsiderate people give psss me off
AnswerID: 104002

Reply By: V8Diesel - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 10:30

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 10:30
Australia Day long weekend two years ago at Dwellingup was the absolute end for me. We had tossers actually walking straight through the middle of our camp, parking on tracks and then going for a swim blocking eveyone in and out and people coming and going 24hrs a day. I'm an idiot for thinking it could ever be anything else. Never again.

Off season / mid week for me.
AnswerID: 104011

Follow Up By: warthog - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:42

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 12:42
That is the beauty of shift work, mid week is the best time, less noisy morons. I agree with you and the above example you posted is a good reason. We go camping for the peace and quiet and sense of isolation, greater numbers = more d'heads. I don't have the need for noise, more than enough of that in day to day life. It is perfect to unwind with the sounds of nature and good conversation. I have not usually found the Fritz in Britz to be a problem on the odd time I have encountered them, in my experience it has been the younger Aussies, if I see them I like to put kilometers between us.
FollowupID: 361520

Reply By: motherhen - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 13:23

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 13:23
We've been lucky - except for the occasional visit to a caravan park, we haven't been with cooee of anybody. I was a bit worried about privacy taking our holidays in SA in January, but we always found somewhere out on our own. A couple of times, we stopped in a large rest area (Nullabor), but campers were well spread out and fortunately very quiet. Previous trips (WA) we have also found secluded spots all the way. I hope the rest of Oz is that good to us when we get to see it.

A couple of years ago, at the Karajini NP (no choice there - have to use authorised camp sites), first night out there was a large roudy "group" - youth camp or something; kept up the noise most of the night. After climbing up and down the gorges all the next day, they fell silent at sundown the second night!
AnswerID: 104019

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 15:27

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 15:27
Apart from one mob of bikes that set up a generator, lights, action, disco and drinking within 10m of my camp on the Coopers (on their way home after Birdsville Races), I haven't really found young people to be a hassle.
One mob of oldies (I was younger then) made me blush at Mataranka. If they'd of been teens I would of scowled at em.
Worst mob were a group on a bus/fly tour of the Cape. We were really tired,( muttering for &^%& sake go to bed under our breaths) but they had a sing along after the cooking sherry. No matter what the song was one old bloke insisted on singing about his bunch of coconuts. It went on and on until around midnight. Met the same guy at the Tip, running past me as I was resting on a rock. The female tour guide struggled up and informed me he was 75. I asked her "How does he do it ?" With an strange look she replied. "I dunno......but I wish he wouldn't !!! )

:)))
AnswerID: 104028

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 16:54

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 16:54
I agree with you Browny

BUT it's no good posting about it here after the noise TO the converted.

You've gotta be prepared to belt some loud prickse.

But before I do I simply ask people to turn their music down first.

To 'normal people' I say I love your music but I have young I just put to sleep. No matter what time of day. Most people comply and say sorry.

'Drunkards' are a bit harder. But they always have some mate who tries to settle it before anything really bad starts. And drunkards are drunkenly slow, easy to put down.

Then there's the f^&^#wits who can't be persuaded either way. I do ask them to turn it down but I am ready to move out if need be.

You have to know your limits. I overstep the sometimes, but we learn.

I might ad that I would rather get a smack in the jaw than be some ones bitche.
:-)

More to all and less to none.

iMusty

AnswerID: 104031

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:12

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 20:12
iM

I'm hearing you, but we wern't really kept awake and the young bloke slept through no problems so no "major" problems, just an inconveniance that doesn't have to be!

Browny
FollowupID: 361550

Reply By: Richard & Leonie - Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 21:55

Monday, Mar 28, 2005 at 21:55
I do not go bush to listen to other peoples radios or sound systems (or even my own). If people want to listen to their radios then do it quietly so as not to ruin the peace and environment tranquility for others. I love all sorts of music and when this problem occurs I feel like putting on a classical CD (the 1812 overture comes to mind) and play it louder than the offending persons.
There is one thing worse believe it or not. That is a portable Kareoke machine!!!! I will however accept the old guitar around the campfire routine as long as the person playing has some talent.
AnswerID: 104061

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 00:23

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 00:23
Well after my weekend camping at a little town called Coobowie on the York Peninsula, all I can say is:- OH FOR THE BUSH!!!

It wasn't the music that had our section of the Camp upset though.

Had a feral group of about 5 families from our neighbors in the Pacific and even the women were p!ssed by 10 o'clock in the morning and they kicked on until they passed out about 3 am, telling anyone who approached them to F*** Off.
Think they must have slept during the afternoon.
The really sad part was that this fine group of native NZ'ers had youngsters of their own. Nice example they are setting for them hey!

I believe the police were called on Friday evening and advised them to behave but they probably can only tell them to quieten down and as soon as the police leave, they just pick up where they left off.

Should have exterminated the vermin I reckon!!!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 104084

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 09:09

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 09:09
>The really sad part was that this fine group of native NZ'ers

I take it you are refering to the Maori race who are hardly native having sailed to NZ only 700 to 1000 years ago. They are predated by the Moriori the Moa Hunters and the Patupaiarehe a pale skinned blue eyed red haired race who were there at least 2000 years before the Maori arrival. These other races were as you said exterminated :)

I guess you wont be going back there for the Easter break.
FollowupID: 361581

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 02:01

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 02:01
Mad Dog,

Perhaps I should clarify my reply above.

What I meant was exterminate the vermin that were causing the disruption to everyone else's camping holiday, not of course the whole Maori race, which I have found to be quite happy and placid.

These type of feral people are oblivious to anything except what they get out of a bottle of cheap plonk. (At least I drink quality stuff)

Nah! I would go back again. Nice place Coobowie.
Unlikely to fluke the ferals again, as like us, they were "out of towners".
They just had a narrow focus on what holiday enjoyment is all about.

Anyway, thanks for the history lesson Mad Dog:-)
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 361700

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 07:55

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 07:55
Being relatively new to modern camping and so far stopping at fairly populated places, our experiences have been good. People spreading out, no loud music beyond a resonable time. At Newnes I thought "oh no" when about 30 cars of younguns pulled up but they camped in an area away from everyone, and went canyoning in the day and played what appeared to be hide and seek games, lol, but not noisly or late into the night before they crashed. With such good headphones available I feel music of any kind can be enjoyed all night long without distrubing others.

I am lucky and can sleep through almost anything BUT I do wake early and start the billy boiling, lol.

We are off to the Snowy Mountains shortly and it will be interesting to see how many others are there between Easter and NSW School Holidays, it should be quiet I think.

Carolyn
AnswerID: 104087

Reply By: Spango - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:33

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:33
I reside in Exmouth WA and are always dumb founded in the winter months at how busy this place gets, especially in the July school holidays, the two caravan parks are full to over flowing, Cape Range National Park is chockers, fuel is $1.30 plus, basic food commodities are expensive, I thought the idea of getting away from it all was just that, have a break from the madding crowd at less expense.

Most people aint smart.

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 104118

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 15:42

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 15:42
We camped at Yellowdine on Friday night... About 30kms east of Southern Cross. There was no bastard around. We followed a small side track till it ended then kept on going for a few hundred meteres through the scrub. Yup, we played our music for a couple of hours, we enjoyed the bush, we got away from it all. It was pretty too!
Blow going to Dwellingup etc where we would either bebleepoff by other or piss them off ourselves.

Photo1
Photo2
Photo3
Photo4
Photo5
Photo6
Photo7
AnswerID: 104152

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 16:24

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005 at 16:24
Said it before, say it again, dont go away on long weekends. Its not worth it.
One thing you can do, get a set of air horns, few air tanks on your truck, leave compressors running to keep air tanks full, and tape the horn button on, and go for a walk. That should piss them off.

Postman Pat has the idea stay home.
AnswerID: 104162

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 00:01

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2005 at 00:01
Wholeheartedly agree Browny. The "I'm going to do what I want and I don't care a damn whether others like it or not" attitude is becoming far too common for comfort. We now carry earplugs for hubby to use as part of our standard camping kit. I'm practically stone deaf in one ear so I just put my good ear on the pillow and I can sleep through most ruckus's. Trouble now is the kids spend a restless night and are grumpy the next day so we not only suffer through th night we continue to suffer throughout the next day. The only viable solution is to get as far out into the bush as time permits. Camping in CVP's or popular campsites within a few hours of town or city is just not worth it unless you're prepared to put up with the selfish faction.

:o( Melissa
AnswerID: 104245

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:05

Thursday, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:05
Spot on Mel................Browny
FollowupID: 361830

Reply By: Skinny- Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 12:21

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 12:21
Hi Browny, Unfortunately as someone said, you are preaching to the converted.

I have given up complaining and bought a chain saw. I have found that people who like music and burbon at all hours don't like me sawing wood at 5:30 am. ( I used to use an axe but some of the buggers slept through that.)

Also I have to wear earmuffs when i am sawing so I can't hear them complain. They often move that day, getting away from the crazy with the saw. Or they come and complain and we get to dialogue about camping manners.

Skinny
AnswerID: 104659

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 12:25

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 12:25
hehe...I've been considering a chainsaw, I'm convinced now.
FollowupID: 361999

Reply By: AndrewW - Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 16:42

Friday, Apr 01, 2005 at 16:42
Haven't usually had any problems, until the last night this easter.

We were at Comet Flat, just near Woods Point. People everywhere all weekend, but no noise or annoyance of any kind. Sunday morning, a few people left, and late Sunday arvo, the d**khead brigade roll in. Big cars, music flat out, using their bullbars to knock over small trees in the scrub, to put on the fire. The music started up quite early, so one of the wives went and asked nicely for them to turn it down. They did, begrudgingly, but the rest of the antics stayed. Luckily there were many small trees left, so they went to bed relatively early.

I would agree with the other posters about long weekends, but I find it very difficult to get any time off otherwise, and I figure its better to be in the bush than be at home, even if you share it with lots of people. Besides, 95% of people camping are great people, it the 5% or less that give us a bad name, unfortunately. Usually they are reasonable though, and will stop when asked nicely.

Andrew
AnswerID: 104690

Sponsored Links