4WD training in SE Qld

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2159 Views:2375 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
4WD training in SE Qld

Simple question: are there any qualified instructors in this neck of the woods?

Doug
(north Brisbane; Morayfield)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CHRIS - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
DOUG,
I WAS A RECOVERY MECHANIC IN THE ARMY SOME TIME BACK AND HAVE A FAIR BIT OF KNOWLEDGE IN REGARD TO 4 WHEEL DRIVES AND ALL TYPES OF VEHICLES OF ALL SIZES .WHAT DID YOU WANT TO KNOW IN REGARD TO THEM.
AnswerID: 7485

Follow Up By: Member - Doug - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Chris,
I feel I am a competent driver but I'm looking for advice on some of the thngs I haven't tried like winching out of trouble, deep water crossings etc., steep climbs/descents (all with heavy offroad trailer)
I was looking for a course that "meets the Nationally Recognised standard for 4WD driver training which also complies with the new Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF) standards for registered training organisations".
(words stolen from http://www.exploroz.com/HotTopics/DriverTraining/default.asp !!)
In short, an established driver training course within reach of Brisbane.
Doug
FollowupID: 3431

Reply By: Derek - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Doug. I'm an accredited driver trainer with the Queensland 4WD Association and live at Petrie. As a member of the Brisbane 4WD Club I am their Driver Trainer and run 1 day courses about every 3 months. The course is free but the catch is you have to join the club and I know what a lot of people think of clubs. If this is not your preference, I've heard Billabong Car Sales at Redcliffe run a good course as does Duncans Off Road Centre over Capalaba way. My course is held at Clear Mountain and I cover most of the things you've mentioned (not winching however). Whatever you decide on, nothing beats practise and experience before heading bush. You may want to consider joining a club so as you can get experience in the company of other vehicles in case something goes wrong. Safe Driving. Derek
AnswerID: 7499

Thanks, Derek, That's very useful.
I suppose I'm not a clubby person but I guess it would be the best way.
You must be the people who meet at Mount Cootha?
We hope to 'head bush' from 2004, so 2003 will be practice. Myabe a trip every other month.
My camper trailer won't be ready until after Christmas ( an 800Kg plus beast with 2 axles and carrying a trail bike, so I'm in no big rush just yet, but time goes quickly doesn't it, so we're planning now.
Logic tells me I can do a lot more than my confidence will let me, hence the training need.
I might drop in on Billabong, and also consider joining a club. Not many to choose from around here . .:)
Thanks again
Doug
FollowupID: 3438

Follow Up By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Dereck, a lot of the 4wd clubs around Australia were authorised to deliver peviously accredited 4wd short courses internally but not nationally recognised. I am interested in the accreditation you have. Do you have the accreditation personally or is the club accredited? Do you have a Certificate IV for work place training & assessment? What competency modules are you acreditted to deliver? Who is your Registered Training Organisation? Are you able to award Nationally Recognised Certificates of Attainment? There seems to be a lot of confusion about the new Nationally Recognised 4wd training that came in to being on the 1\7\02. It may be better to take this offline if you prefer 4wdtraining@cains.net.au Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 3500

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Try Garry Burke at Billabong, they provide Nationally Accredited training and are a member of the Australian 4WD Training Network.
http://www.billabongoffroad.com.au Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 7500

Oops my follow up came out as reply number 4 . . .
FollowupID: 3439

Reply By: Member - Doug - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks, Rob,
Billabong keeps popping up and is on my doorstep so I'll drop in there.
First time someone's given me their web address though.
Thanks
Doug
AnswerID: 7504

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00
Yes, so please tell him to advertise here! Tell him he can do so for free.
FollowupID: 3461

Reply By: David - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Doug, also try Duncans Off Road Driver Training, they run nationally accredited courses from beginner to advanced, their web site is http://www.duncansoffroad.com.au/ talk to Bob or Jenny, they'll be able to give you all the information you need, cheers, Dave.
AnswerID: 7505

I will, David.
Thanks for the URL
Doug
FollowupID: 3441

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Ditto for this mob - everyone can you please get every business operator in the industry you talk to to list themselves in our Free Search Engine - the point is so that you can find everything from ExplorOz.
FollowupID: 3462

Reply By: Derek - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Doug. There are actually heaps of clubs in Brisbane. If you do decide to join one, check them out thoroughly as to your needs. Some do nothing more than drive forestry trails, others like severe driving, some are more into camping than 4wding and others are a plain embarrassment to the to the sensible 4wd movement. I think the club you're referring to at Mt Cootha is the Qld Toyota Club. There is also the Caboolture club and QLd Off Road Club who meet at Bald Hills and Moreton Districts who meet at Kallangur.
AnswerID: 7558

Follow Up By: Member - Doug - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

OK. Thanks for all that, Derek.
Caboolture would be my closest.
As Michelle says, they're not very visible via ExplorOz . .

Doug
FollowupID: 3474

Reply By: bruce - Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00
doug iam a member of the wa 4wd association driver training programme & we teach to the national standards both to club ,general public, government industry isujest that if you want the facts in this arer that you contact ivon scudamore either via the queensland 4wd association or via treadlightly ivan has been invovled in the training industry & also in the writing of the national standards
regards Bruce
AnswerID: 7916

Sponsored Links