Mt Augustus

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2160 Views:2940 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Anyone have any info/notes on a trip from Perth to Mt Augustus?
Would appreciate any ideas on other places worth a look on the way.
Thanks,
Wayne.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lizard - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
The wife & I went there three years ago , turned off at Wubin - went via Mullewa , Murchison roadhouse , Gascoyne J'n , Kennedy ranges to Mt Augustus .... stayed the camp ground there ... was an interesting trip .... also worth seeing is the Mt Gould police station on the rd from Meekatharra ... we went to Landor races - was interesting , but some trouble with Aboriginies , so only stayed one night ... camped at Rocky pool on Gascoyne - towards Carnarvon (nice) .
AnswerID: 7481

Follow Up By: Wayne - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Lizard, thanks for the info, any tyre troubles? I wondered about the races, will keep your experience in mind.
Ciao,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 3446

Follow Up By: Lizard - Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 19, 2002 at 00:00
No tyre problems (surprising as they were H/T's) , but tyre did pick up a stone & bounce it off the Cavalier & smashed the smaller rear window on our GU ($650) ... I bough a rear window saver when I got back to Pinjarra ($140) ...
FollowupID: 3494

Reply By: Jayson - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 at 00:00
Travelled through on a recent trip to Perth from our home in Karratha at the end of June. Did the same route as previous post but in reverse and turned of the highway south of Nanutarra at the old Barradale roadhouse. Travelled through Lyndon station and others but the 100 thou maps and gps helped as station owners have put in many tracks since the maps were first surveyed. The weather was perfect. Nice and cool (actually pretty cold really for us norwesters) camped anywhere that looked good after about 4:30 in the arvo. Roads were great as had just been graded for the tourist season. Beware! Diesel was $1.40/litre at Mt Augustus. We only saw a dozen vehicles in three days and 1200 kms of travel, with three of them being graders. Fuel at Gascoyne Junction was about $1.15 from memory.
It's taken us eight years to get to the mount and I 'm glad I've been there. Walk to the top is 12 kms and suggested 6hrs but Calm always make the time too long. Didn't walk it ourselves (always in a hurry to get to Perth, don't know why) but am sure the view would be fantastic.
Make the effort to get there, have a great time and take lots of red wine for sunsets and campfires.
Regards
Jayson
AnswerID: 7498

Follow Up By: Wayne - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for the info Jayson. I've been checking the route on a map of the area, from Mullewa to Hedland. But will look for something with a bit more detail. A member from the "4wd_out_of_perth" group (yahoo) has sent me gps co-ords from Mt Augustus to Exmouth and to Mt Augustus from Tom Price. Will be sure to take the red wine, also the Baileys and some icy cold Emu Bitter. Can't wait.
I'm surprised that there is nothing in the archives about Mt Augustus. Seeing it was the site of the "Gathering" a couple of years ago, and bigger than Ayres Rock.
regards, Wayne
FollowupID: 3447

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00

Yes, I'm surprised we haven't got any info published for you guys - sorry about this. It's just that we haven't done the trip ourselves. Can anyone please rectify this problem by sending me the content to publish a new trek note?
FollowupID: 3460

Sponsored Links