80 Series turbo fuel economy?

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 17, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2173 Views:1889 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have been reading with great interest the talk about how many km's people are getting out of their std diesel Toyotas. Earlier this year we traded our old faithful 60 series on an as new 1997 automatic multi-valve turbo wagon, which has now done about 65k. I don't think we would get 1100k's from both tanks, maybe 950k's, not towing. Should we expect better or is that about right? I used to get the injectors done every 100k in the 2H, and it had extractors. It would do about 650km on the single standard tank and I used to put about 75 litres in each fill and it had 375k on the clock, everything original. I would appreciate any comments.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 18, 2002 at 00:00
Nige, We have the same model in a manual, and while we check the economy on trips, don't make a record of it. I work on about 7 km/L, most of the time, with a bit better on longer trips. Have got up to 9km/L, at steady speeds, between Brisbane and Gold Coast. Have fitted a Long Ranger tank 166L, and can go from Winton (Qld)area to Toowoomba, before refuelling, for the final run into Brisbane. Put a 3" exhaust on last year and it has improved economy, and performance. A lot depends on severity of winds out here, heavy head winds can really make you think there's a hole in the tank, especially when the power can keep you at, or above the posted speed limit. Did have a "90 model 80 series turbo, and after getting pump/injectors done, could comfortably get over 1,000 kms, from both tanks. It was a better vehicle on highway, especially for passing triple r/trains, but lacked the refinement(?), of the '97 model. After aircon, cruise would have to be a must have! Enjoy the grunt....Bob.
AnswerID: 7567

Sponsored Links