93 Toyota LC Winch Control Cable Help

Submitted: Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 13:16
ThreadID: 21768 Views:2210 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I have a 93 Toyota Land Crusier with a Factory fitted winch.
When I brought the LC, it did not come with the control cable to operate the winch.
I have been told that to replace it will cost NZ$900 from Toyota, from a wrecker, no go, as they would sell the whole unit.
In some searching I browed one to look inside, and found there is a curcuit board, so can not fully build one. I have been told however that I only need 3 wires to operate the winch.

My question, is this correct, and if so, could someone please advise what pins I need to use. I have brought the plug that goes into the winch, and a hand control box.

Regards and Thanks sparc(at)internet(dot)co(dot)nz

Kevin & Natalia
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 80scruiser - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 21:12

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 21:12
I think genuine toyota winches are an x9 superwinch. Why not go to arb and see if they can help. Try to find a mate that has a warn controller and try that. I think you will find it will work. I had a warn controller and it operated a superwinch. You should be able to buy a warn controller for about 120 bucks (au) at a 4wd shop.
Just a thought but I could be wrong.
AnswerID: 105188

Follow Up By: RobertL - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 13:51

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 13:51
Try Superwinch as they carry a range of spares.
3/7 Greenhills Ave
Moorebank NSW

Ph 02 93740196

Good Luck

Robert

FollowupID: 362375

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 07:06

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 07:06
Hi Kevin
Is your winch the one with the screw on control cable? That is actully a military plug, I am not at home so can not give you the wiring but most controls will work
Ray
AnswerID: 105228

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:27

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:27
Hello Kevin

I was at a toyota dealer in Melbourne yesterday (6.4.05) and on the counter was an X9 superwinch sitting on its packaging box , branded genuine toyota.

I queried this and the young bloke behind the counter winked and said out the corner of his mouth. Its an 'el cheapo' Warn mate. We have 12 of them that we are trying to shift.

Whatever, who cares, the point is a Warn contoller should fit yours. They come in
3 pin and 5 pin models with the 5 pin being a free upgrade to defeat the pricks activating said winch with wire clips etc.

So, if I were you I would be trying out these controllers first.

Regards

Ken Robinson

AnswerID: 105392

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:17

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:17
Kevin,

It might be your lucky day.

I have just come back from the said Toyota Dealer from collecting the part I ordered yesterday.

Had another look at that winch on the spare parts counter. It has a 3 pin controller and I queried the spare parts guy about it again and he reached under the counter and pulled out the box of accessories for the winch and showed me the controller.

It is a 3 pin in the same configuration as a warn, however the prifile of the end is slightly different I think.

Anyway, doesn't matter because he then tells me that he can order all the parts seperately via Toyota HQ in Sydney.

He even gave a photocopy of schematic diagram of all parts with No.s.

So if you would like a copy of same, send me your email address and I'll send you same.

Regards

Ken Robinson.

Oh! he didn't have a price handy, however, estimated around the $100 mark.

AnswerID: 105421

Follow Up By: Kevin_Natalia - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:03

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:03
Hello Ken,

If you could sed me a copy of the wiring I'd be grateful. This would help greatly.
My e-mail address is sparc(at)internet(dot)co(dot)nz sorry for the way I have written the e-mail address, it helps prevent spam getting through.

Regards

Kevin & Natalia
FollowupID: 362545

Sponsored Links