Any good shops in Darwin to prepare Kimberley trip?

Submitted: Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 06:01
ThreadID: 21874 Views:7012 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

In a few weeks time we will arrive from Europe in Darwin. From there on we will drive up to the Kimberley, Mitchell Plateau, Dampier Peninsula and so on.
Does anybody know a good store where i can buy a Coleman Camp Oven or the like? Cannot find them in Europe. Also tips regarding food and where to buy it in Darwin or Kununurra are welcome.

Thanx in advance,

Michael
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lyds - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 07:57

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 07:57
G'day Michael,

I believe there is a camping supplies store in Cavenagh St (Darwin City centre). I'm sure there would be a few more.

and there are large supermarkets as well as camping provisions in both Darwin and Kununurra.

Enjoy your trip!
AnswerID: 105695

Reply By: Graham - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:43

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:43
From memory I think it is called "The General Store" It is in the city area and sells everything to do with camping

cheers
graham
AnswerID: 105699

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 09:01

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 09:01
Hi Michel,

I believe there are restriction to taking fruit and veg's into WA - may want to check this out before you load up in Darwin.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 105700

Follow Up By: Graham - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 09:13

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 09:13
Yep, Tick gate at Kunnanurra...fruit, veges,honey etc etc
FollowupID: 362823

Follow Up By: Pluto - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 10:20

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 10:20
Michel

Regarding quarantine.

You might find these links useful:

WA Quarantine Travellers Guide

WA Quarantine

WA Department of Agriculture
FollowupID: 362832

Reply By: Wizard1 - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:39

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:39
Having lived in Darwin until last year and prepared for several trips here is my low down:

Vehicle preparation and 4WD accessories:

I would go to TJM Stuart Hwy, Winnelli. If you intend doing the Kimberley you will need extra tyres and perhaps tyre (casing) changing equipment which they stock. Phone 61 8 8984 4976

Or try Opposite Lock, Coonawarra Rd, Winnelli phone 8 61 8947 4771

Camping Equipment:

NT General Store, Cavenagh St, Darwin City. They have more clothing and smaller camping items but are good never the less for Darwin. Phone 61 8 8981 8242

Mitchells Camping. Stuart Hwy, Berrimah, heading out of town toward Palmerston and it is on the right. They have an extensive range of tents and general camping equipment, probably the best in Darwin, phone 61 8 8947 1094 or www.mitchells.net.au

I would ring them to see what they have. When we lived there we ended up having to order a lot of stuff from interstate. You could contact the stores to see if they stock what you need and if not can they order one in.

Darwin has plenty of well stocked supermarkets. You cannot carry fruit, veg or honey into WA (Kununarra) so don't stock up in Darwin but wait until you get to Kununarra which only has one good supermarket. The beer is cheaper in Darwin...

Wizard
Gold Coast
AnswerID: 105716

Reply By: Member - Michel D (Int) - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 15:21

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 15:21
Thanks everyone for your quick and accurate responses!
I will call/e-mail around to the above mentioned stores to find out what they've got in stock.
I knew about the fruit and veggie thing so the idea to stock up in Kununurra is a good one.
As for the tyre thing...We will rent a LandCruiser, it's probably only equipped with one spare tyre. Any tips what I should buy in OZ to take care of the 'tyre situation' before my departure?

Grtz,

Michel
AnswerID: 105739

Follow Up By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 16:14

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 16:14
G'day Michel,
I see you already have the answers you need.
Regards your car, have you already hired one?
If not I can give you the address of a rental company that supplies fully fitted out vehicles, including camping equipment, winch, fridge and 2nd spare tyre.. Not sure if they have any Cruisers available in Darwin at the time you need it, but maybe worth a try.
We always hire the cars for our Tag Along Tours from them and never had any problems.
Enjoy the Kimberley,
Mike
FollowupID: 362874

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 16:15

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 16:15
Hi Michel,

Certainly admire the effort you are making to do this the right way. Not sure what you're bringing with you but I think the tyre issue is the most critical one to solve. Never hired a 4wd myself but have helped a couple of stranded hirers over the years (one on a fairly isolated Cape York track with a flat and no wheel brace). Would suggest, if possible, hire an extra spare - hey maybe they'll chuck it in if you are hiring for long enough.

Guessing your doing this on your own so can't share a spare with another party?

Kind regards

FollowupID: 362875

Follow Up By: Member - Michel D (Int) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 03:43

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 03:43
Hi Mike,
We already hired one but still I like the name of the company you use for your tag-a-longs rentals.

To beatit,

I will check if a second spare is possible and besides that I will visit the TJM store mentioned by Wizard1. They can probably give some advice what to bring and rent or buy it at there place in the same time. Easy for me, good for them.

Thnx for the tips!
FollowupID: 362938

Follow Up By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 10:06

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 10:06
G'day again Michel.
No worries, check your Members Messages.

I'll be up in the Kimberley myself in about 3 months time with a 5 week tour.

Cheers,
Mike
FollowupID: 362951

Reply By: Dog (NT) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 09:18

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 09:18
Hi,

Some good places mentioned by other posters. Mitchells in particular is pretty good, they also have an outlet at Casaurina shopping centre.

A place often overlooked is Super Amart, its a sports store that sells a wide range of camping gear. A lot of the gear isn't suitable for serious hiking etc, but for car camping they have some good brand name stuff and the prices are often well below the specialty camping stores. Also in the same shop complex is a BBQ's Galore, which is an often overlooked source of camping gear.

By camp oven I assume you are talking about a cast iron pot, sometimes called a dutch oven? I bought a large one of those from Super Amart for $14.00 and having properly seasoned it, I am now a convert to cast iron cooking, and use it in the kitchen all the time, not just camping!

Dog.
AnswerID: 105843

Follow Up By: Dog (NT) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 09:34

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 09:34
Hi,

Forgot to mention that Super Amart is in the 'Homemake Complex' which is on Bagot Road.

Dog
FollowupID: 362948

Follow Up By: Member - Michel D (Int) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 06:40

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 06:40
Hi Dog,

Thnx for the info. Regarding the camp oven...We are looking for something to bake bread in. I saw a really nice one from Coleman
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?product_id=5010c700
So that's not like the oven you mean. Does anyone has ever seen the coleman or similar in Australia?
Or is it possible to bake a bread in 'your' campoven on a gasstove?

Grtz,

Michel
FollowupID: 363031

Reply By: Dog (NT) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 09:56

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 09:56
Hi,

We are talking about different things! The camp oven I'm refering to (and many Australians would be thinking of) is a cast iron pot with a cast iron lid. You put the pot in the fire and then shovel some coals on the lid. I've also used mine on a gas stove, and also use it a lot on an electric stove at home. Many people cook bread in them, I've tried and not suceeded to well, but I'm sure that is the fault of the cook, not the camp oven.

Having said that, I have seen the coleman camp ovens you are referring to in several shops, I don't think I've seen it in Mitchell's, but I drive past Mitchells on the way home from work, so I'll stop in and see, and I'm driving past super Amart today, so I'll check it out and let you know.

As to food. Fresh food is expensive in Darwin (roughly 15% higher, my guess) than the rest of Australia, and fresh produce doesn't last as long here (it has to be shipped up from down south, so its not as fresh when you buy it) but that not withstanding, there is a good range of supermarkets etc. There is also a reasonably good wholesale butchers on Bagot road that will do cryovac meat if you ask (in fact they have cryovac roasts there normally, but will do steaks etc on request)

You will not be able to take fresh veggies into WA (not sure where the checkpoint is) so don't overload on the stuff in Darwin.

Not sure about Kununurra, my trip there this year was delayed due to the late delivery of my new car and a cyclone!

Cheers,
Dog.
AnswerID: 105974

Follow Up By: Dog (NT) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 18:39

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 18:39
Checked out Mitchells and Super Amart, and didn't see the Coleman camp oven, but I have seen them around. If I see one I'll let you know.

Dog
FollowupID: 363094

Follow Up By: Member - Michel D (Int) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 18:55

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 18:55
It's not the first time I run into OZ friendliness but still surprises me a little and make me happy at the same time!
Big up to your effort Dog. I will for sure drive by the Butcher on Bagot road to pick up some meat for myself. My girlfriend is vegetarian so she couldn't care less ;-) I will drop a line to Mitchells maybe they can order it when payed in advance or something. I tried to order it overhere (the Netherlands) but it's not sold in europe by Coleman (a bit odd).

Thanks again for all your effort and keep me posted if you lay your eyes on a coleman Camp oven!

Grtz,
Michel
FollowupID: 363095

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 13:07

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 13:07
Try this web site, they stock the oven in question and ship overseas.

www.rmm-camping-gear.com

Wizard
Prado TD
Gold Coast

PS. I think Dog has too much time on his hands
AnswerID: 106710

Follow Up By: Member - Michel D (Int) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 15:51

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 15:51
Hi Wizard,

Thanks for hunting down the oven. But as i tried to order the oven the site states that shipping is only done in the US.

"...Where We Ship To

RM & M only ships to destinations within the 48 contiguous United States. Sorry, but we do not ship to Alaska or Hawaii. We also cannot ship to PO Box addresses, US territories or military addresses..."

But thanks anyway :-)

Does anyone know a e-mail adress of Mitcells Adventure stores?
FollowupID: 363716

Sponsored Links