camping on River Murray SA

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:35
ThreadID: 21921 Views:11419 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
hi, we often camp on the River Murray around Lake Bonney at Barmera, but after camping in the same spot for every trip up there we were wondering if anyone could give us an idea of some other nice spots for bush type camping on the Murray in South Aust.. we would prefer some where that we can take our dog and if poss. that was on the back waters so that it's a bit better for the kids to have a splash. it doesn't matter if it was one of those government type parks that we would have to pay.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gone bush - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:03

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:03
just a note to add to my question above; just to let you know that we are responsable campers and NEVER leave anything behind when we have finished camping (we usualy clean up other peoples mess before we can set up), so we will treat your spots with care.
AnswerID: 105988

Reply By: bob2 - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:28

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:28
Hog Wash Bend near Cadell has a large sandy beach and is very safe for kids. It is free and a very large area. No facilities except bins, so take your own firewood. I would imagine it would get very busy at peak times.
AnswerID: 105990

Follow Up By: gone bush - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:41

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:41
thanks, we have heard all good things about there and have tried to find it with out luck, asked in Wakerie for directions but not even the post office knew what I was talking about. There was a place quite a way out of Wakerie on top of a hill with a dirt road turning of to the right, no signs though but we thought it might be it, no one around to ask so didn't venture any further. So if you could give me directions we would be very grateful. Having no facilities doesn't matter to us as we are self sufficiant.
FollowupID: 363063

Follow Up By: bob2 - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:50

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:50
23km NW of Waikerie or 20km E of Morgan via Morgan-Waikerie Road. From road drive north along dirt road about 1 km to river. Hema 62 C5.
FollowupID: 363065

Reply By: gone bush - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:57

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:57
thanks we will have another look when we are up that way next Sunday, hopefully we will be in luck this time. So that is on the Cadell road and past a little town (can't remember the name, nothing there exept a post office/shop I think)?
AnswerID: 105992

Follow Up By: bob2 - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 15:16

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 15:16
Yep, thats the way.
FollowupID: 363073

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 18:16

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 18:16
I will give you a tip for directions as the turn off is unmarked. The turn off is on the crest of a hill. If you are coming from the west just before the turnoff there is an abandoned bush camp on your right. Either an old caravan or a panelvan is parked under the shade of a tree(can't remember which).

There are also bush camp sites at Lyrup(not sure about dogs) and also at Overlander Corner(no facilities).

There are also camping areas adjacent to every ferry crossing, normally with facilities.

Enjoy
FollowupID: 363086

Reply By: Casnat - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 13:58

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 13:58
try Katarapko Game Reserve. There are about 30 odd sheltered campsites scattered amonsgst the backwaters. Each is quite secluded. There is a small charge. From memory there is a toilet at one of the sites.

From the Sturt Highway take the turn right (if you are coming from Adelaide) into Winke Rd at the Berri Estates winery (near Glossop). Follow this for a while and there is a signposted left then another left onto Katarapko Cres. From there you follow the signs. It is a bit of a way and the 1st time I went I thought I was lost but came on it eventually.

For my own future reference, where exactly are the camp sites on Lake Bonney?

AnswerID: 105998

Follow Up By: gone bush - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 14:22

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 14:22
Yes I know where you are talking about I think as we too did the same thing (thought we were lost). I don't think that we can take the dog there as it's a game reserve but will check it out anyway.
The camping at Lake Bonney is around the lake it's self, to get there go to the lake foreshore (were they hire jet skis ect.) and just follow the road around to the right if you are looking at the lake, there is a small grass reserve with a loo and you can camp anywhere past that, just be careful not to get bogged if in a normal car at some spots, we don't have a 4x4 and tow our campers through there fine. The lake is perfect for kids aswell, they can walk out for a while and still not be too deep, with a sandy bottom (the lake that is). If you pick the right place you can even with the aid of binoculars sit by the fire and watch the drive in (if you are good at lip reading that is). Be warned though around the other side of the lake (Adelaide side) there is a nudist camp, we found it by accident while they were cooking a snag on the bbq. Any way hope you enjoy it.
FollowupID: 363071

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 20:51

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 20:51
You'd want to be careful cooking a snag on the BBQ at a nudist canp. OUCH.
My fishing club always camp at the nudist beach, Pelican Point, every Adelaide Cup public holiday. The nudists tens to keep themselves to themselves and are never really noticed. There is a good toilet block there, nice safe water for the kids, dogs are OK and the fishing can be pretty good to if you like catching carp.
FollowupID: 363120

Reply By: D-Jack - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 22:35

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 22:35
Casnat

The best advice I can give you (and you will thank me forever!) is go to www.boilingbilly.com.au, look for book entitled "Camping guide to South Australia" bu Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage. The best $15 you will ever spend. Looking at above posts Katarapko GR is out of the equation because of dogs, but consider Chowilla GR and Lyrup Flats. There also 13 others I counted in that area allowing dogs. Plus is will help you find anything you want anywhere else in SA. Happy hunting.

D-Jack
p.s. Internet is helpful, but sometimes there is just no substitute for ink and paper!
AnswerID: 106062

Follow Up By: Casnat - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 22:53

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 22:53
Hi D-Jack

assume you meant to address this to "gone bush" rather than me but I will keep an eye out for the book in any case.

I am actually lucky that I have a mate who has a block on the river not far from Banrock Station and I often camp there.

Sorry I missed the dogs bit when I recommended Katarapko, but a good spot otherwise. Hogwash bend that others recommended is also great when not busy (the one time I camped there was midweek outside of school hols and there was still 3-4 other groups camped. That wasn't a problem as there is plenty of space but I am told at peak times you can't move!)

Trevor
FollowupID: 363142

Reply By: GazzaS (VIC) - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 17:47

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 17:47
Hi Gone Bush

we camped in Katarapko last xmas. I know you can't take the dog there but across the murray from our camp was not NP and looked great. This spot was on the inside of a big bend and had a nice sandy beach with good shade and camp sites set back a little ways from the river.

How to get in there - don't know. If you have maps of around Berri then you might be able to find a way in. there are 4 entries to KNP and we took the one from in Berri itself under the road bridge, past the sewerage farm and the rodeo ground. In KNP this leads to several tracks but we went to the farthest end, campsite number 12 I think. If you can find this then on the opposite bank is the spot I am talking about. Just remebered - it is opposite the join wiht the Katarapko creek (river?)

Good Luck
AnswerID: 106188

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 15:24

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 15:24
The property you refer to is known as Clarkes sandbar where we had our Exploroz get together last June. Can be hired through their office in Berri opposite the Police Station. Other places to consider are Martin's Bend by Berri, The area adjacent Moorook store, The river flats at Loxton adjacent the water tower, Upstream of LOCK 4 (turn 90degrees at Cemetary )on top of Bookpurnong Hill (Turn 45Degrees will lead you to Lock4 and Clarkes Sandbar) approx 7k's from Loxton towards Berri, turn left to Briars Rd and down to river. The above are not Nat Parks areas and you can take dogs. No pets allowed in any National Park.
FollowupID: 363375

Follow Up By: GazzaS (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 20:08

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 20:08
thanks Des Lexic

Looked like a great spot from the opposite bank. I wouldn't mind goiing back there one day and now I know how to get there.

Cheers
FollowupID: 363429

Reply By: gone bush - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 20:08

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 20:08
thanks to every one for there answers, we are heading up the river land for 12 days soon so will go to all the places mentioned and have a look. I'm sure that we will find some more lovely places to camp (even with our hypo foxy).
about the nudist camp at Barmera, I must admit that my hubby had the odd tear in his eye when he saw the bbq thinking of the hot fat splash.
AnswerID: 106416

Sponsored Links