Tips for Centry Trip

Submitted: Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 16:26
ThreadID: 21966 Views:1947 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We (4A + 4 kids) will be travelling to the centre via Coober Pedy in July. Would appreciate any comments/hints/tips from recent visitors. We plan on budget accom at CP then camping at Yulara, Kings Creek Station, Palm Valley, Alice. We are 2 families who prefer the bush to resorts so is Kings Creek a better option than Kings Canyon? Any suggestions for campgrounds in Alice - or self contained cabin etc. Any views on CP accom - don't want to put the tents up here so self contained or group style would be good. What about Reba's underground. Is it one big ruckus with everyone sleeping down there together!! Are there any park entry fees apart from Yulara? Any tips re best places to buy fuel etc? What would be the "must sees"? Look forward to reading of others' experiences. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: noseyp - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 17:00

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 17:00
Have a great trip - in CP we stayed at I think it was the Opal caravan park - they had some cabin accommodation - all fenced for security as well - and for fuel the fuel depot at the rear of town is usually cheaper than the servos - in Alice try "G;day Mate" caravan park - small but clean - pool - not as crowded as McDonnel across the road which is huge. We stayed at Kings Creek Station - excellent -like bush camping with all the amenities - including a pool for the kids.
enjoy.
jules
AnswerID: 106174

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 17:17

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 17:17
Yulara reminds me of sardines in a can ...you really meet your camping neighbours in a bit of a storm :) However the facilities are good. I'd try and book (and I'm not sure if this is possible) a couple of spots as close to them as possible beforehand. Don't forget to leave time to visit the Olgas, for me they are just as interesting. There's a 4wd track around them from the other end. Check with rangers first.
AnswerID: 106177

Reply By: duncs - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 19:44

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 19:44
We travelled up that way in Oct 03. Stayed in an underground hotel in Coober Pedy. Then camped at Erldunda and got info on the Hugh River Stock Route which is the short way to Chambers Pillar, worth a look but a little out of the way if you are pressed for time. ALso worht a look particulaly in the late afternoon is Rainbow Valley.

Macdonnel Ranges CP in Alice was very nice. They had free entertainment every evening, decent sized sites and the park was very well kept with better than average everything.

Redbank Gorge was the one we liked best in the West Macs

Camping at the resort at Kings was very pleasant.

Palm Valley was simply beautiful.

Yulara was horrible cramped and noisy and no body cares about the individual. THe bus groups are bringing in a fortune so they get away with murder.

There is a fee for entry to the National Park get the three day pass

Have great trip
Duncs

AnswerID: 106213

Sponsored Links