Queen Victoria Springs

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:23
ThreadID: 21995 Views:4919 Replies:2 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Headed east from Kalgoorlie to QVS I used the wester 4wd trip notes for some of it but decided to take the Kurnalpi pinjin road. At yowie hill I turned left and took an old telegraph track that went past yowie rockhole and on to Gillgarna rockhole which gave good views of the pinnicles which look like an interesting desination. The track rejoined the pinjin road where I turned off and followed a few fencelines to avoid pinjin mine coming accross an abandoned sandlwood cuters camp. From there it was East pastKirgillar rocks and lords bore to where I camped just pasr Ponton creek. The turn off south to QVS is sighbposted and while burnt out still has stands of pretty Marbel gumms. Not far from QVS is Streich Mound which at 25m high gives good veiws of the area. The springs themselves were not spectacular being dry but it is a great drive. I continued on South past the abandoned Cundalee mission and crossed Ponton creek again bfore reaching the transline Access road and back to Kalgoorlie. Good Drive highly recomended
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 14:52

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 14:52
Sounds like a good run- Something to do after the long weekend.
Was there many chances for a swim along the way?

Im looking at meeting some mates half way between Kal and perth for the long weekend, and recall some people taking tracks around bulla rocks at easter- Have you been down anything around that area before? Do you know of any more challenging tracks in that area?
AnswerID: 106358

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 15:25

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 15:25
no where to swim, It has been dry as for over 5 years around town and the only spots I can think of for a swim would be Burra rocks and cave hill. Goldfields tracks are generally more challanging on the paintwork than suspension with just the odd washout or rocky section to excite you. Best place for a challange would be the hills on your rhs heading along Yarrri rd past Kanowna belle
FollowupID: 363376

Follow Up By: Pluto - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 16:14

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 16:14
Ben

Another track you might try is the track north out of Koolyanobbing past Helena and Aurora range, Hunt Range to Yowie Rock. From there take the survey line track out to Evanston Menzies Rd. It'll take at least a day and a bit from Southern Cross to menzies. Very scenic and seriously challenging in the wet.
FollowupID: 363395

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 18:19

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 18:19
that track is next on my list I did parts of it for work it is quite slow going and overgrown in places but interesting and scenic. It goes past some of the highest peaks in the region including the 2nd highest point on the kal 250k mapsheet when did you last do it?
FollowupID: 363413

Follow Up By: Pluto - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 20:30

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 20:30
This time last year. And yes it is overgrown in places. Between Hunts range and Yowie Rock in particular.

Still, it's very secluded and scenic. The views from the Aurora Range are excellent.
FollowupID: 363434

Follow Up By: Paul & Tracy - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 00:19

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 00:19
There's a great swimming hole not far from Kal (1/2 hr) off the Broad Arrow to Ora Banda road. The turn off is about 6 or 7 km west from the Goldfields Hwy and the spot itself is about 3 or 4 km north of the BA - OB Rd.

I'd been in Kal for over 6 years before I found it and it's just a ripper. If I could figure out how to add pics to the post I'd give you a few.

Paul B, Kal
FollowupID: 363491

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 00:29

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 00:29
yea I know the one Easting 333870 N 6635128 it is an old pit . To add pics you need to become a member. Seems to be a few of Kalgoorlie people on line now. Should try and arrange a get together, I will be joining the eg4wdclub now I know when they meet
FollowupID: 363492

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 11:26

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 11:26
If anyone is interested- Sunday 1st May Eastern Goldfields 4WD club are having an open day on the vacant block next to John Matthews Real Estate (Kalgoorlie). A few of the blokes will be there, there will be giveaways and a sausage sizzle.

Thanks for the location Davoe- Im a bit hesitant on going swimming in open pits though after I found 3 of our tropical lagoon-looking old Davyhurst ones are used for cyanide water processing. Sounds like this one is tried and tested though.

Paul- do you recall if the turnoff on the Orabanda Rd is signposted?
FollowupID: 363529

Follow Up By: Paul & Tracy - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 20:57

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 20:57
No it's not signposted but it's about the only track off to the north 6 or 7-odd km from the hwy. You go up a couple of K's and through a fence line and then up about the same distance again and you can see old mine waste dumps on the right and there is an old shallow pit with a flat batter on the east side forming a sort of beach and a vertical wall on the west. At the north end hanging off an overhanging bough on a large tree is a thick rope used for swinging out into the water. There's plenty of shady spots to camp.
FollowupID: 363599

Reply By: Member - Michael- Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:20

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:20
Davoe
Was hoping that you would have gone via Porphry, I'm hoping to get out that way shortly and visit some old haunts (Patricia minesite). Was out by the Helena Aurora ranges over Easter, very dry but not as dry as it was in Jan this year, lots of mining activity betwn koolyonobbing and the ranges.
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 106612

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:03

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:03
reason I didnt go thart way was I was working at Yilgangii (nearby) late last year and the road had become abit "yesterday" for me I wasnt disapointed as the telegraph track I followed was interesting
FollowupID: 363617

Sponsored Links