Johnson Controls Dynasty Batteries

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 12:03
ThreadID: 22021 Views:3551 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have come into possession of some batteries which were purchased to be used with a large UPS and were never used. Ive picked these up for a song and keen to know if I can use them in a dual battery setup behind a pirhana system.

They are Dynasty brand battery manufactured by John Controls specifically for UPS's All 12V with 75A/hr ratings.

Does anyone know anything about them, ie is a UPS battery radically different from a normal deep cycle batery?

Pic of the top of the battery looks like this -> Piccy

The manufactuer doesnt have much on their website Website
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Glenno - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 12:04

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 12:04
by the way I never thought I would ever use the camera in my phone, but bugger me ive found a use for it, taking photos of batteries onsite!
AnswerID: 106511

Follow Up By: DiesAl - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 17:28

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 17:28
Gday Glenno, I've come across these same batteries at work in our UPS surley they wont miss a couple. But seriously I'm interested on how you go with this as I've acquired a couple of the exact same batteries as these, although secound hand they should still have some life left in them.
Keep us posted.

Cheers

Al
FollowupID: 363553

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 12:30

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 12:30
Shouldn't be any reason whatsoever why you cant use these batteries with the Piranha Controller.

The battery(s) is 12 volt.
75A/hr Deep Cycle which gives you a reasonable capacity.
The Piranha Isolator allows batteries of different size and type to be used in conjunction with the starting battery.

Do you have an existing dual battery setup in your vehicle?
The only consideration you need to allow for is physical size.
Will they physically fit into the cradle?

If yes, GO FOR IT.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 106514

Reply By: age - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 12:47

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 12:47
A problem to be aware of is that the Johnson battery is designed as a stationary battery where as an automotive battery is designed to take the movement of a vehicle with a tough case and fibre reinforced plates etc. Would think the plates will delaminate with vibration in the Johnson battery especially with use on rough roads. Plastic case may not be tolerant to heat and vibration as well, so could split and spill acid causing untold $$'s worth of grief. Would be ok set up in a padded box with solar feed to run a fridge or the like, but think under the bonnet you will have trouble.
AnswerID: 106518

Follow Up By: Glenno - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 19:07

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 19:07
Thanks for that. Hadnt even considered the actual construction of the battery or plates - more focusing on the electrical aspects!

FollowupID: 363755

Reply By: Peter 2 - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 13:57

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 13:57
I've used UPS gel batteries which were designed for shelf use in a dual battery situation under the rear seat in my troopy, they were 250mm square, 6v and two hooked together made a beaut auxilary battery, I had them fro 5 years and then sold the truck, probably still going well.
anything free, you've lost nothing experimenting. Get a few and you can sit them on the shelf if the first ones fail.
AnswerID: 106525

Follow Up By: crozdog - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 16:38

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 16:38
These batteries are an AGM construction. You will find plenty of discussion re using AGM batteries as 2nd batteries both here & on the overlander forum - Generally all good compared to a regular deep cycle battery. (My opinion there - don't flame me if you don't agree...)

I have installed 2 banks of 88Ah Dynasty batteries into my camp trailer - lots of power for what I do. I use a reasonable charger that provides the following features: a soft start; boost charge at 14.4v then float charge at 13.8v. I connect this when I come back from a trip (or when near power) & leave it on till I move on. The float charge ensures I always have fully charged batteries when I head off & the batteries (out of a UPS) like the constant charge.

Like Peter said, give it a go - i did & am happy with the results.

Crozdog
FollowupID: 366627

Sponsored Links