PEOPLE POWER REQUIRED

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 09:47
ThreadID: 22052 Views:1782 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Dear All and further to Jimbo's post 22043.

Lets all get off our whinging backsides and do something about the price of fuels. It affects each and every one of us either directly or indirectly (ie freight costs increasing food cost).

In mass we can do something about the TAXES on fuel.

The article on Channel 9's ACA last night on fuel was interesting and that attitude of the ACCC was appalling, we pay the bastard's wages and this is how he treats us.

So, with the help of David and Michelle (please) what about setting up an online petition to go to the government/pollies with the following two issues, which I think are just as important as each other;

(a) the current taxes (which I think is around 35%) on fuels be reduced to be inline with and the same as GST 10%.

(b) the ACCC starts working for its employer, being the People of Australia and not the corporations.

Or something along these lines which could be dressed up.

This online petition would have to have the ability to go to and be placed on every other type online forum, as the MASSES will be required on this one.

Now there will be the Knockers and the Negatives out there.

So what do you reckon?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:57

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:57
I am not advocating this but the only way to take action against perceived injustices is to take up arms against the opressors or to go to the Capital City en masse and ransack Parliament House.

But I doubt if either will happen as we are a pretty apathetic lot.

Most likely only the dreadlocked rent-a-mob would turn up in Camberra.

AnswerID: 106697

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 12:14

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 12:14
I am a pretty sinical bastard myself, but I do think that paper talks. It would not be easy to setup or administer but if people were willing to do the work, I'd be willing to sign it! ;-)
FollowupID: 363674

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 13:32

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 13:32
The 4WD fraternity is only one section of the motoring public.

Don't you think the Motoring Organisations (RAA, NRMA, etc.) have voiced disapproval of the Oil Companies tactics on several occasions?

These Oil Companies are multinational and answerable only to God, or Allah, as the case may be. And they don't need to drive cars so they don't care.

As well as the driving public, there is all the methods of transport that will jack up the price of everything, due to increased transport costs.

The only solution as I see it, is to allocate the production and distribution of an alternative fuel source to a responsible section of our community.

How about the production / distribution of ethanol being the responsibility of the Farmers Co-operative?
They wouldn't rip us off and we could then extend the middle digit to the Petroleum Companies and their distribution networks.

Oh well.......it's just a thought to help out the farmers...........
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 106714

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 18:27

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 18:27
In America, they have anti trust laws.

Bill Gates is a prime example of a scapegoat.

Who REALLY gives a damn if Microsoft is bullying small software companies?

Oil cartels, holding countries to ransom........ nothing is happening........ and nothing will........

It's all to do with taxes. If the government could tax dope, then that would be legal as well.

Make your own Bio - Diesel...... and you still have to pay the tax!

I got no answer, but I do remember back in the late 60's, my old man saying.."When petrol gets to $1.00 a Gallon, I'm selling the car..."

He still drives a V8.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 106762

Reply By: allaussie - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 21:39

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 21:39
to stop it all ..... if we all stopped drive our cars 4wd truckes eteetetet then would the gov and feul companies listen to us if all off us in aust stopped for one day some feul companies would go broke cheers chris
AnswerID: 106796

Reply By: Swine Hunter - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 07:38

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 07:38
The govt and the fuel distributors / oil companies need a bit of hip pocket education on this one.

If 10% of the driving public and freight companies etc did not buy fuel for 1 day think of the millions that go begging from the pockets of the above co-op of thieves.

Imagine Caltex, or Shell, or BP etc not selling a drop of fuel for 1 day across Oz.....OUCH!
I bet that would get their attention!
AnswerID: 106832

Sponsored Links