2005 Hilux 3.0 Turbo Diesel

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 15:19
ThreadID: 22060 Views:2651 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone driven a new 2005 Hilux as yet?

I test drove one last weekend & was totally disappointed. After owning a 2003 3.0TD SR5 for the past few years I was interested in trading up but as far as I am concerned there is now no other option than a 100 series.

For all u Nissan owners… sorry but it has to be said…. the new 3.0TD Hilux is as noisy as a Patrol. Maybe it is due to the new intercooler intake but it is definitely a lot noisier than the previous model. It does have heaps more power, which I consider as one of its only improvements besides a deeper tray. The coils in the front end ride nicely but it still has a kick like a mule in the rear.

I don’t know what Toyota were thinking but it is cheaply finished & bears the “commercial” type TOYOTA sticker across the tailgate of all models (including the SR5, I suppose they will need all the advertising they can get) as well as a “commercial” type load guard on the rear window of the cabin…. Looks terrible L

The ergonomics of the interior & the quality are right up there with the cheap Korean imports. The little stick no longer has an easy access button to engage 4wd but instead you have to shift it for H4 (petty I know, but it will be missed). It is also lower to the ground now than the earlier models.

Priced at around $10,000.00 more than the competitors I hope she performs well off road as personally I think Toyota will have trouble moving these off the lot.

So does anyone out there know when they will be releasing a new Land Cruiser?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 15:30

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 15:30
I don't know whether it is correct but I heard that they were made/assembled in Thailand, cheaper apparently, make Toyota even more money.
The Ford and Mazda utes are also made in Thailand.
I had a look at one at the Caravan show at rosehill and noted that they were quite a bit lower than the old model, also tinnier and more carlike, sort of like a ute version of a Prado. Did note the cheaper interior and the very commercial look.
The toyota longevity and strength might take a hiding as it has done with the cruisers too.
AnswerID: 106734

Reply By: time waster - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 15:46

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 15:46
you will find there is the same ground clearance as old model infact a lot more as they have lifted gear box member also side steps are standard which gives it a lower look the doors are deaper also changing the look if you look at the old one side on you can see all the chassis any way i have ordered one only lost 2k on my 2year old td i guess it was like the 100 series when first came out now you wouldn't buy an 80 lets hope its the same quality
AnswerID: 106737

Follow Up By: Alyson - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 20:17

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 20:17
what dealership did you go to. I went to the local in Southern Sydney & they offered me 25k with 66k km, perfect condition as a trade in? LOL
FollowupID: 363763

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 16:00

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 16:00
That rattley noise at low revs is common with all these euro style common rail diesels. Running variable valve timing and lower compression ratios (I think about 17:1). It alows them to rev higher and get more grunt down low. The by product is lotsa noise under low revs/low left foot.
It's a terrible noise, the ford transet I used to drive at another job was the same, but it had plenty of go for a big vehicle with a 2.5TD, the 3.0L Patrols and Navaras a rattley noisey things too. The almost sound like you've droped a 50c peice under the rocker covetr! LOL
The intercooler would have nothing to do with added noise.
I still like my old 1kz-te. Quiet as a mouse (for a diesel). The road noise from my tyres is louder than the engine.
AnswerID: 106738

Reply By: BBails - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 16:12

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 16:12
Re the rear suspension, I haved replace the rear suspension in my 2002 hilux with OME medium springs and now it rides beautifully - like as smooth as my car. If your considering keeping ur current car id thoroughly recommend this. I hated mine till I made that change, it made passengers seasick.

I hate the look of the new one, looks like a camry...

B
AnswerID: 106740

Reply By: Griddo - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 17:57

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 17:57
Will be picking up the new companies T/D Dual Cab hilux next week.

Even before it has got on site I have had to rip off the aluminium side steps and replaced with steel ones with side bars. The tyres have had to be replaced with something other than highway tread stuff. Will have to look at the carpet interior being covered over - we do a lot of water/mud work. And have been battling with Toyota about supply times for winch bars and other accessories including snorkels

Doesn't look like toyota reallly looked at servicing the mining companies with this one

Still, goes better than the old 3.0l straight diesel
AnswerID: 106755

Follow Up By: Croozer - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 22:14

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 22:14
The hilux at the rosehill show was on the ARB display (Toyota had no display at all !!) and they had it fitted with quite a good looking winch bar (& snorkel I think). The arb bar improved the look of the front end dramatically, looked good I thought. On the other hand have you seen the tragic toyota alloy bar for the new hilux, dunno what they were thinking !!!

Stu
FollowupID: 363787

Follow Up By: Griddo - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 11:20

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 11:20
Croozer

Finally getting some sense out of Toyota and they will be delivering the bar with vehicle. Also spoke to Safari Snorkels and they should have product available sometime during May.

Another quick question to all out there, I am not a mechanic in this or any other life but i noticed that what I think is a stabiliser bar running across the front of the hilus actually goes in behind the front sump guard. The current hilux we have has it's front guard pushed in about 2-3 inches. If this was to happen to the new one it would come in contact with this bar

Any thoughts would be appreciated
FollowupID: 363840

Follow Up By: Alyson - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 13:11

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 13:11
kewl, you will have to let us know how it goes when you get it. It would be good to hear an unbiased opinion in comparison to that of a sales person :)
FollowupID: 363853

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 19:20

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 19:20
All the ones I have driven so far have been quiter than the V6 IMHO, when warm.
AnswerID: 106767

Reply By: time waster - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 07:29

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 07:29
i got mine from peter davey in adelaide $44,500 on road with auto colour t/bar and bull bar they gave me $33,000 for my 03 td d/cab 61,000km i only paid new $35,000 so happy how they hold price
AnswerID: 106830

Follow Up By: DMECH - Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 21:47

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 21:47
time waster . which model did you buy s/cab d/cab sr or sr5 diesel/man or auto. im thinking of buying a d/c sr5 and have quotes was interested also of on road cost etc our s/duty is high in wa about 3300 for sr5 dc
thanks a.d
FollowupID: 367664

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 14:58

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 14:58
Since this thread was started I had the oppertunity to have a close look at the new lux.
I reckon I'd need to deffend Toyota on a couple of comments made in this post:
1. The interior/dash is no diffeent to the majority of new cars, this silver plastic crap seems to be the in fashon, just look at a new ford or holden, it's the same.
Doesn't look to bad anyway IMHO.

2. I agree, the raising of the transfer case is great, albiet about 20 years late!! And the truck is higher (if you allow for the sidesteps).

3. Having a Toyota sticker on the back of the tailgate is BETTER than having it MOULDED into the back tailgate. At least the sticker can be removed if not wanted or sign writing is required.

I will however agree that the 4wd/Transfer leaver is a step backwards 15 years!! WHY PUT A MANUAL TRANSFER LEAVER IN? The ADD system used in the Hilux/4Runner/Surf for the last 15 years has proved to be a fantastic, resposnive, easy and reliable way to engage 4wd on the move by the flick of a button on the side of the transfer leaver. Why change it back to the manual "move the leaver" style now?? They must be mad!? Perhaps its a difference transfer box/ gearbox configuration?? Because of the more powerful motors and the raised transfer box? who knows.

But all in all, look like it will be an ok vehicle, probally being very capable off the showroom floor by the looks of it.
AnswerID: 107682

Sponsored Links