Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2212 Views:2287 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
i have just had a price of $239ea for 33 x 10.5 x 15 BFG mud terrains
anyone with a contact , a mate , eg that can do any better
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kezza - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00
muddy, thats about the price, Ive never paid full retail for anything in my life and I cant get em any cheaper at the moment (qld) but just a thought how much is your fourby worth? dont be like so many who spend 40-50 grand on a nice vehicle and then go all gooey and go el cheapo on the rubber under it. Good allround tyre for everything but the extreme stuff
good luck
Kezza
AnswerID: 7803

Follow Up By: Busysteve - Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00
U guys have all got to much money to burn ive had bfgs only lated 12 months then i tried these tyres called hankooks and got three years travell (my brother told me about them and he been working in the tyre game 4 15 years so he should no some think )and not had 1 punture (touch wood)good in the mud 2 and before u say i must just travell on the road thats not true been to cape frassier ect always going bush i will never go back to a big name tyre because all u do is pay 4 the name

hankook hard as steel
FollowupID: 3642

Reply By: truckster - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

Do your self a favor and look at the new Goodyear MTR's. Ive heard of $270 for 35's in MTR's... Havent looked at 33's.

LOTS more tire for cheaper. They get excellent writeups everywhere I have seen, and they will be my next road tires to go with my Baja Claws. :)~

I am no friend of the new BFG KM MT's. Lots and lots of reports of them slicing like butter with hot knife...

YMMV...
AnswerID: 7807

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

Just re read yours, your after 10.5's not 12's...

Didnt see that first time.
But still have a look at the MTR's.. Well worth it.
FollowupID: 3611

Follow Up By: Kezza - Friday, Oct 25, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 25, 2002 at 00:00
truckster have you used the BFG m/t KMs?
Ive been hanging out on the same sites you have been. I hear bad reports about lots of tyres just like I hear bad reports about mechanics plumbers and carpet cleaners. Most problems with the Km have been due to extreme use or very low pressure for the vehicle.
Im Not defending them but keeping the issue in perspective Ive had no problems at all and I rarely drop my pressures on a Patrol below 33 PSI
Been a truckie for 10 years of my life so I take a keen intrest in which tyres most likely will keep me alive hence my interest in your comments and sources of info. Ive yet to find the best or perfect tyre it just depends on what you want them for, I personally think they are currently the best compromise. Ive given mine a real hard life (24000ks so far) but theyve never "sliced like butter with a hot knife" Ive got a few cuts and bits off them sure the compound is softer but it seeems tougher and Ive still got about 12-13 mm of tread left of the original 16 mm Im expecting 70-80000klms out of them at this rate - so far I really cant complain.
Ive managed to destroy goodyears and bridgestones but so far no bfg muddies. Just my observations,, happy truckin --
Kezza
FollowupID: 3631

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Oct 25, 2002 at 00:00

>>> truckster have you used the BFG m/t KMs?
No I havent, and wouldnt. No value in them

>>> Ive been hanging out on the same sites you have been. I hear bad reports about lots of tyres just like I hear bad reports about mechanics plumbers and carpet cleaners.

And with those bad reports you wouldnt use those plumbers, and carpet cleaners. you have to go on what you hear.

>>> Most problems with the Km have been due to extreme use or very low pressure for the vehicle. Im Not defending them but keeping the issue in perspective Ive had no problems at all and I rarely drop my pressures on a Patrol below 33 PSI

wow, I run them at 35 on the road... Regularly run my 'old' BFG MTs at 15psi. No problem ever.

>>> Been a truckie for 10 years of my life so I take a keen intrest in which tyres most likely will keep me alive hence my interest in your comments and sources of info.

I was on the road for 8 yrs, up and down the east coast.. Know what you mean about tires. Except most truck co's run rags on everythign but the steer.

>>> Ive yet to find the best or perfect tyre it just depends on what you want them for, I personally think they are currently the best compromise.
I dont, I think the MTR has walked past the BFG at a nice rate in price, quality, grip and wear. Yes they are new to the market, but I know at least 12 people converted to them from BFG. Not one complaint, or damaged tire.

>>> Ive given mine a real hard life (24000ks so far) but theyve never "sliced like butter with a hot knife" Ive got a few cuts and bits off them sure the compound is softer but it seeems tougher and Ive still got about 12-13 mm of tread left of the original 16 mm Im expecting 70-80000klms out of them at this rate - so far I really cant complain.

You probably dont drive as hard as I do, and you dont get 80,000 out of the KMs.. Apparently they start off like bridgestones, wearing slow, then take off crazy. Your better to run MT's for 15,000klms and sell them, that way you have new MTs all the time, the replacement price is less for better. When MT's get down they are not that good anymore. YA should try Baja claws :)

>>> Ive managed to destroy goodyears and bridgestones but so far no bfg muddies. Just my observations,, happy truckin -- Kezza

Go with what you feel comfortable with. Same as everyone. Coopers, 'Stones, Goodyr, Yoko's(if you can afford them!), BFG, Simex, Mickey Thompson, Dunlop, the list goes on, theres good and bad stories in all brands... Just Ive heard about the KM's not good things, so I wouldnt go with them. EG, some lasting 1 day.

FollowupID: 3634

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Oct 25, 2002 at 00:00

>>> truckster have you used the BFG m/t KMs?
No I havent, and wouldnt. No value in them

>>> Ive been hanging out on the same sites you have been. I hear bad reports about lots of tyres just like I hear bad reports about mechanics plumbers and carpet cleaners.
And with those bad reports you wouldnt use those plumbers, and carpet cleaners. you have to go on what you hear.

>>> Most problems with the Km have been due to extreme use or very low pressure for the vehicle. Im Not defending them but keeping the issue in perspective Ive had no problems at all and I rarely drop my pressures on a Patrol below 33 PSI
wow, I run them at 35 on the road... Regularly run my 'old' BFG MTs at 15psi. No problem ever.

>>> Been a truckie for 10 years of my life so I take a keen intrest in which tyres most likely will keep me alive hence my interest in your comments and sources of info.
I was on the road for 8 yrs, up and down the east coast.. Know what you mean about tires. Except most truck co's run rags on everythign but the steer.

>>> Ive yet to find the best or perfect tyre it just depends on what you want them for, I personally think they are currently the best compromise.
I dont anymore, I think the MTR has walked past the BFG at a nice rate in price, quality, grip and wear. Yes they are new to the market, but I know at least 12 people converted to them from BFG. Not one complaint, or damaged tire.

>>> Ive given mine a real hard life (24000ks so far) but theyve never "sliced like butter with a hot knife" Ive got a few cuts and bits off them sure the compound is softer but it seeems tougher and Ive still got about 12-13 mm of tread left of the original 16 mm Im expecting 70-80000klms out of them at this rate - so far I really cant complain.
You probably dont drive as hard as I do, and you dont get 80,000 out of the KMs.. Apparently they start off like bridgestones, wearing slow, then take off crazy. Your better to run MT's for 15,000klms and sell them, that way you have new MTs all the time, the replacement price is less for better. When MT's get down they are not that good anymore. YA should try Baja claws :)

>>> Ive managed to destroy goodyears and bridgestones but so far no bfg muddies. Just my observations,, happy truckin -- Kezza

Go with what you feel comfortable with. Same as everyone. Coopers, 'Stones, Goodyr, Yoko's(if you can afford them!), BFG, Simex, Mickey Thompson, Dunlop, the list goes on, theres good and bad stories in all brands... Just Ive heard about the KM's not good things, so I wouldnt go with them. EG, some lasting 1 day.
FollowupID: 3635

Follow Up By: Kezza - Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00

Wow truckster I didnt think you were so passionate about this. Sorry I cant beat that I just dont care THAT much. (To itemise a reply WOW) I am tired of trialling tyres that dont do what I want so I thought Id air my experiences for others maybe save them some grief. Yes MAYBE I dont drive as hard as you do - but I do drive SMART and Im wondering how careless you need to be to stuff a lot of these tyres up I certainly drive to get my vehicles home in one piece maybe Im missing something.
all the best Kezza
FollowupID: 3650

Follow Up By: Kezza - Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00

Tell you what Ask me again in a year or so.
kezza
FollowupID: 3651

Follow Up By: Truckster - Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00
To say I drive carelessly is stupid.
I 4wd with a 2yr old in the car nearly everytrip, there are sometimes that we play hard you dont take him or wife along... Then again I dont like driving fire trails that mums Corolla can do either...

Im smart, havent dont a KM, never said I have, I have the old 33in BFG MTs for my road tires, but know of at least 12 now (more since last club meeting) that have done KM's. People ranging from retired 65yr olds doing long trips, thru to high country type trips. Once bloke did his within 12 hours of fitting to the car, but that could just be crap luck.. Doesnt do you any good when its $300 for a new tire 12 hours later though. :(

Seems more are dying in Sydney than anywhere, there and QLD are where most are dying, but Victoria is catching up.

Tell ya what, if its on ya mind in 12 months you bother to tell me.
FollowupID: 3658

Sponsored Links