Innamincka Dreaming

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 15:13
ThreadID: 22132 Views:2056 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I mentioned in a previous post about my plans to travel to Innamincka, Birdsville and back to Sydney in 9 days. I have reconsidered the Birdsville leg and will save that for another time. I am going to camp in the Innamincka, Cullyaburra Waterhole region.

When I decide to go visit some of the sites in the area, how safe is it generally to leave your camp unattended. I will be towing a campertrailer and don't want to hitch up everytime I go for an explore.

I have no idea how busy the area is during July but i assume it is the best time to tour that region so may be pretty busy.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 15:42

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 15:42
When you're there say hello to Belinda and Bob at the Innamincka trading post for us and give Belinda a cuddle, they helped us out heaps when we were there. Belinda says they get upwards of 1000 ppl thru there during those months so it'll be busy.

Theres some aboriginal rock carvings at Cullyamurra up near the "Choke" as well as lots of Burke and Wills stuff, Burkes grave, Dig tree and the general isolation of the place. Cullyamurra is excellent. As to the leaving of your gear, I reckon its not to bad around there, take your valuables and you should be fine.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 107106

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 17:05

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 17:05
Amen re the carvings down by the "choke". You go to the far eastern end of the Cully camping area. You'll see that you can't drive further. There is a walking trail along the lower side of the river. You have to hunt over the rocks at the choke, but there is lots of polished grinding holes and quite a lot of tortoise carvings. Re security, I've not heard of pilfering but that means nothing. Small high value items go in our backpack, second level valuables are locked in the car, and we usually have a fat chain padlocked through the trailer wheel and around the suspension. We then wander off with an air of optimism ! Seems to work fine in the remote areas. Not so in the populated areas, as we have seen in posts here. Re remote areas like Innamincka - not much point in trying to steal a trailer etc - too big to hide and there are authorities in the first town on the way out of the region, all directions.
AnswerID: 107114

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 18:16

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 18:16
You will only be walking to check the rock carvings...why not leave the rig with a cd or the radio on as a 'deterent'...anyway there are only fellow travellers in the areas and they are in the same box as yourself..
AnswerID: 107129

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 19:21

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 19:21
OK let's see I get to cuddle Belinda and install a cd in my truck. This trip is getting better all the time.

Ok now the next question. What do I need to catch yellowbelly, i have no fresh water fishing gear. just a basic kit will do me.
AnswerID: 107135

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 00:13

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 00:13
Waynepd,

Take a shrimp trap with you, put a bit of dry dog food in it to attract the shrimp. This is the best bait for Yellowbelly.

For tackle, start with about size 2 hook underneath a swivel and a ball sinker running on the main line. You can also use a standard "paternoster" style rig being two hooks and fixed sinker underneath a swivel.

Should be an excellent time for Yellowbelly and hopefully they will take your bait before the turtles do. (or are they tortoises)

You have selected an excellent location on the Cooper at Cullyamurra Waterhole and I am envious of you. Have a great time.

P.S. If the fish are off the bite and you catch sufficient Shrimp, boil them up and eat them. A bit fiddly to shell but taste good.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 107184

Follow Up By: kev.h - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 19:38

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 19:38
failing dog food I have had good success with sunlight soap in the shrimp trap
regards Kev
FollowupID: 364241

Reply By: Member - David 0- Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 08:43

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 08:43
Don't forget the camera and tripod if you have one. The sunsets at Cullymurra can be glorious.
AnswerID: 107199

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 07:51

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 07:51
After seeing those shots its going to be a long wait till July..........Thanks David
FollowupID: 364271

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 09:42

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 09:42
Happy to fuel the dream

:-)
FollowupID: 364274

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 19:57

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 19:57
Easiest option is to buy the shrimp from the Innamincka Trading Post. The tortoises take any bait whole, which is a bit sad, so don't be tempted to use meat instead.

And sunlight soap and waterholes don't mix, if looking for shrimp.
AnswerID: 107279

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 23:55

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 23:55
Thank You for all the advice people.
I am looking forward to getting out in the red bits again, the city is so bland after having seen the colours of the real country.

I am sure it will be a great trip and there will be more questions b4 i go in July. :)

AnswerID: 107319

Sponsored Links