Rudall River NP

Submitted: Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:58
ThreadID: 22178 Views:1964 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I would like to hear from anyone who has been into Rudall River NP and can provide some feedback. We've found ourselves with 3 extra weeks vactation time and so are contemplating including it in our revised itinery. We have a well set-up GU patrol including HF and satphone and will be towing a very capable off-road trailer. Would probably be there around mid-May. Also be interested in hearing from anyone who might be interested in hooking up for that part of the trip.

:o) Melissa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 00:35

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 00:35
Hi Melissa, did a trip into Rudall River NP back in July01 coming into the park from the Telfer end down via Christmas Pool following the northern access track to the Desert Queen Baths & exiting via the southern track to the Tallawana Track to Balfor Downs & onto Newman. The weather was wet coming in making the track a little muddy but easily drivable. It was dry coming out with good camping spots at the Rudall River crossing & at a bore sunk about 20km north of the Tallawana track turn off. Did this part of a trip back from Cape Leveque comfortably in a week staying at the Desert Queen Baths campsite for a couple of days. The access track into the baths from the main track into the park is very rough in places with a lot of dips & curves, rocky in places & needs a lot of care in traversing but if you take it easy there should not be any problems with a trailer in tow. I have some pics of the area on my webpage at:
www.havewheelswilltravel.iinet.net.au. Have a good trip. Cheers.
AnswerID: 107324

Reply By: bob2 - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 09:07

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 09:07
Drove through north to south May 2003 it was very dry. Did side trip to Chrismas Pool very low level with large snake near water level. The south end of the park was burnt out. Drove through in a day without problems.
AnswerID: 107347

Reply By: Member -Peter (York 4x4) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 11:53

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 11:53
Hi Melissa , I was there a couple of years back and have loaded all my trip files onto the plot file list ,I towed my camper trailor with a V6 4 runner all the way with no problems , the only area I found really tight was into upper carawine gorge ,the trip into Dessert queen baths was slow but no trouble and well worth it , we are heading back up there (Y0rk 4x4) end of July .
AnswerID: 107363

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 17:06

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 17:06
Hi Melissa ,
I was there in July 04 . That trip I was not towing my camper , but I saw no problems that will worry you except as Peter said , Upper Carawine Gorge was tough and I think the huge gravel areas around Carawine Gorge would bog you with a trailer .
Cheers ,
Willie
AnswerID: 107410

Reply By: brumac - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 17:54

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 17:54
Gday Melissa,
We will be in that area about the same time as you. We were interested in Rudal River and its always more fun with someone else as we will be alone for our trip.
We've got a GQ with an off road trailer, and Hf radio. We are members of VKS 737. We leave on sunday 24th April from Canberra for 4 months. Our call sign is Romeo 5958. If your a member of VKS you can hear us calling in each evening.
Thanks Bruce And Linda
AnswerID: 107701

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 20:55

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 20:55
Hi Bruce & Linda,

We'll certainly keep our ears open for you on VKS737. We've just installed our HF and in fact I sent our application off to VKS737 today. I'll let you know our callsign as soon as we know it ourselves. Do you have selcall? Feel free to email me flatdog1 at bigpond dot net dot au if you'd like to see if our itineries with coincide.

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 364616

Sponsored Links