Morons leave unattended fires burning at Davies Plain Hut on Wednesday

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 11:58
ThreadID: 22189 Views:2068 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

It is with some significant disappointment and anger that we arrived at Davies Plain Hut on Wednesday last week (13/4) to find two fires still going in fire pits outside the hut - one burning and one smouldering well.

Then with absolute awe at the stupidity of others we found the fire in the fireplace in the hut still going as well. These people are prize idiots.

Many of you need not be reminded of the potential for disaster even at this time of year. Apparently some idiots need reminding.

THE FIRE IS NOT OUT UNTIL IT IS COLD TO TOUCH. ALL CAMPFIRES MUST BE EXTINGUISHED WHEN UNATTENDED (be that for a few hours or if you are moving on.)

Huts are made of timber as a rule and many have been lost as a result of careless campers. A bushfire starting as a result of these campfires would have put my group and probably those who lit them at significant risk.

While not suggesting that they were responsible for any or all of the fires the names of the visitors who signed the book as having stayed there the night before were:
Jake Creamer
A. Ladd
Martin & Fleur Heiner
If you know them pass on the message. Even if the fires they left were not their own they should still have put them out.

The other likely contenders if not the same people are the two long wheelbase LR Defenders we passed as they approached Tom Groggin coming from DP Hut. One was yellow the other white.

Put them out people. There may be no where to stay next time if you don't cos the greenies don't want them rebuilt if they disappear.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Dave

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 12:23

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 12:23
Honestly,
why are you suprised?
AnswerID: 107368

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 12:41

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 12:41
Hi Truckster,

Kinda goes hand in hand with the long weekend post really.

Dave
FollowupID: 364292

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 15:03

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 15:03
agree..
probably sparks and embers themselves, that way they can blame someone else for a fire gettin out of control.. IT WAS CAMPERS
FollowupID: 364314

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 12:43

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 12:43
I've seen it also Dave, last year whilst camping at Buckwong I watched as a group who had camped near by packed up and drove off leaving their fire burning.
This is despite being almost being camped beside the creek.
Needless to say my kids were the first of the mark to get the bucket and wet it down properly.
This was less than 12 months after the 2003 major fires up there.

I afraid it's the same breed who fail to dispose of toilet paper properly leaving it flapping in the breeze for all to see.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 107371

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 13:37

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 13:37
G'day Dave
Unfortunately it happens all too regularly and it's most likely the only reason there aren't more bushfires etc is because someone with sense comes along and puts out fires left buring.
Camped near Purnie Bore once and another lot were nearby. They took off first and as we drove past where they'd been the campfire was still going strong. We stopped and drowned it. Later caught up with the culprits and told them what I thought of their actions. Got abused for that little educational talk!
As you say - only morons would lake the brains to figure out the potential for disaster from such an action.
AnswerID: 107382

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 14:01

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 14:01
I agree 100% with whats been said here, but ....... It must be confusing for people to be told by Parks Victoria that out of control fires started by the DSE near heavily populated camping grounds are 'wonderful for the Promontory environment', yet if their fires get out of control it puts everyone & the bush at risk!
AnswerID: 107385

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 18:42

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 18:42
If it started up at Davies Plain on Wednesday the nearest fire crew were hours away in difficult terrain. The dozers were even further.

Dave
FollowupID: 364340

Reply By: snailbate - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 20:51

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 20:51
hi all
come on guys lets get real if people are not trained from a early age a bout putting out camp fires before they leave a camp sight we used to pee on th fire to put it out what chance have we got of educating people about puting out camp fires
snailbate
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 107441

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 21:51

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 21:51
I'm pretty sure it's covered in the hut code of ethics which is on the wall of the hut.

Even then if you didn't drive in with your eyes shut you drove for kilometres thrugh burnt bush. It's just commonsense.

Dave
FollowupID: 364355

Sponsored Links