Fraser here we come!!!!!!

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 07:05
ThreadID: 22250 Views:1679 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
One more big sleep!
The trailer is packed, the truck serviced, the beer bought, tomorrow we are off to fraser Island for 5 days!
This will include the Fraser Island Clean-up... we were there last year and it was a hoot.... looking forward to it again!

Be back Wednesday to hose the sand and salt off and then Friday off to Gorge Station for 4 days!

Woo-Hoo!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 09:10

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 09:10
G'day Brian,

Have a great trip mate, we were there a couple of weeks ago. It's amazing how the place changes, Eli Ck has moves south and the barge has become dearer ($100 with trailer - from $30 a year or so ago when the competion was hot).

All the best and kind regrds.
AnswerID: 107643

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 16:19

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 16:19
Hi Beatit,

Is that the Inskip Point barge that is $100 with trailer now? That is crazy for such a short journey.

I grew up on the Gold Coast and went to Fraser 3 or 4 times a year and it was usually somwhere between $10 and $20. Then the competition really heated up and I remember one easter we arrived at the barge at 2am and Gordon Elmers Orange barge was free. It was the same year the big Rainbow Venture barge started up.

Now I live in Bundaberg and although I am only just over an hour from the Barge at Hervey Bay the cost of the barge is the only thing preventing me from going fishing every second weekend over there. It is a shame really. It is $110 for the vehicle with 4 people in it and no trailer. $6 for each extra person.

You can get an annual vehicle permit for the island for $163.20 which I can put up with. The camping fees have more than doubled in 10 years to $16/ night for a family and I can cop that too. But to have to fork out $1392/year (family of 5) if I were to only go across once a month is a bit rugged for a 30 minute journey.

I've brought myself a 23 ft trailer sailer now and although we can only get to the western side of the island, it is free and so is the camping because the rangers can't get to where we anchor in their 4wd's.
They are probably reading this and will give them boats now to come and chase more dollars from those that can't afford it.

Trying to give my the kids the life I grew up with and have heaps of fun and adventure at very little expense. If families can't afford to go away kids will just sit at home and play Playstation, what else can they do? Not for my kids, when they close this cheap escape for us we will find another one somewhere.

Cheers,
Brett
FollowupID: 364585

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 16:27

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 16:27
G'day Brett,

Yeah mate and I agree with you 100% - a bit like the Jardine River Ferry at $80 (last time I was there) only a short distance but they have you by the short and curlies. So you have to pay or go with a trailer sailer as you have - I suspect that at $110 for a trip from Hervey Bay it is better value but still a lot of dough.

Was going to Moreton last weekend but got put off by the ferry cost for a car and trailer - $250, mate I've flown to Cairns for less than that! I guess they have to make a profit but I wish my salary would only remotely keep up with amounts these fares keep rising.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 364587

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 18:10

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 18:10
Hi guys.... its half price on the barge for the Cleanup.... and free camping permits!...
FollowupID: 364598

Follow Up By: Utemad - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:15

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:15
I only paid $55 for my vehicle to go from Melbourne to Devonport and that is peak season! Although it costs a minimum of $145/person on top of your car.

However this is for a 10hr 440km trip.
FollowupID: 364680

Reply By: govo - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 01:19

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 01:19
I was told that all the barges are owned buy the same person now..might be why they are so costly....anyone know if this is true ?
AnswerID: 107760

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 06:36

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 06:36
I have heard the same... a few years ago there were two different operators and the price plummeted.... now there is one operator and I guess he has to recupe the "discounts" from that time. And as much as it's an expensive journey, I look at it as "well, I don't HAVE to go there, I just WANT to go there"

A bit like the rising cost of fuel.... I remember my old Grandfather in 1971ish saying he'd sell the old Holden if petrol hit $1 a gallon..... I wonder what he'd say now it's over a dollar a litre!!!!!

We use it... we'll pay for it! The same for the barges unfortunately.

FollowupID: 364648

Reply By: AndrewW - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:40

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:40
Hi,

We were at Fraser a couple of weeks back. There seemed to be two different operators from Inskip Point, and the voyage was $65 return.

Great place, can't wait to go back, pity its so far from Melbourne.

Andrew
AnswerID: 108209

Sponsored Links