Back from Lightning Ridge

Submitted: Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 15:08
ThreadID: 22288 Views:2197 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just back from 2 weeks away. Wagga, Orange, Narrabri and Lightning Ridge and thought I might share a few highlights with you lot, and thank Chrispy for your advice.

Robert Young (and Greg) mechanics at Narrabri. After reading all the doom and gloom on here about the vagaries of the 3.0TD Patrol engine, imagine my fears when the motor starts making whistling noises like a deranged kettle. Turbo? Fanbelt? Greg had a listen and diagnosed an “ECG” gasket? He has seen this on a few Patrols. Apparently the bolt “falls out” and the heat and gas squeezes out of the pipe junction and creates the whistle. They got a gasket overnight and fixed it in a morning. Thanks guys!!!
Yarrie Lake. What a hidden gem! Out past the radio telescopes west of Narrabri. Camping, swimming and a resident caretaker (hi Stewart) make for a wonderful place to unwind.
Swimming pool/theme park at Lightning Ridge. We had the place to ourselves and had our own personal lifeguard (thanks James)
Thermal pools at Lightning Ridge. What a magic place to watch the sunset or rise. And all the accents and miners arguing European politics make it a very interesting place.
Mount Canobolas near Orange. Great view and worth the drive.
The Glengarry Hilton out to the west of Lightning Ridge. A great place to spend a few lazy hours and a cold ale or seven
The Cotton Centre at Narrabri. Once you get by all the industry propaganda about how little water they use (!!!) it’s really very interesting and the Sandy was a great help!
Tourist Village caravan park at Narrabri. Grassy shaded sites, solar heated pool near the River
Dundullimal Homestead out near the zoo at Dubbo. Peaceful place to stroll around and very historical.
Lightning Ridge Hotel caravan park. Where else can a park have BBQ’s, a pool, bistro, and a Pub??? And I even managed to avoid getting my face re-arranged by “Wallaby Bob”, local who decided I was a “F’n copper…”Took me a few ales to convince him I wasn’t. Don’t you love opal towns???

2300km all up. As Ernie Dingo says “Go on. Get out there…”

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:15

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:15
Sounds like a good trip.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 107858

Reply By: Lyds - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 03:01

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 03:01
(G'day Eric)

Michael,

We were up at Mount Canobolas last week . Under a new moon the stars were sensational, milky as.

as you said, some top views too.
AnswerID: 107920

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 09:23

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 09:23
Hey Michael.
have you got some pictures to post or send to me? I'm interested in doing something similar.
Sparky
AnswerID: 107929

Sponsored Links