Diamantina River trek

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 08:50
ThreadID: 22319 Views:2142 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, has anyone done the trek from Kynuna to Birdsville along the Diamnatina River. The latest Australian 4WD Monthly has a story but no real detail. Just wondering what the tracks are like, how long it takes, etc.
Thanks Allan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JW - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 13:20

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 13:20
Allan,
I was very disappointed with that story to which you refer. It left more questions than it answered. Just goes further towards lowering my opinion of all of the so called "reputable" magazines. I often wonder who, if anyone, does their proofreading.
Jon W
AnswerID: 107997

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 19:15

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 19:15
Yes, can be done quite easily. There is a HEMA Map of the Diamantina Lakes area which will help you. Haven't much time tonight as big job getting ready for Anzac Day tomorrow and start of The Great Cattle Drive. Contact me if you can't find any more detail. HEMA maps are excellent and cover the whole area - check in the EO Shop, because I'm sure they are there.
AnswerID: 108022

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 21:46

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 21:46
Allan,

Viv Moon did a story in 4x4 monthly about 12-18 months ago, where they travelled over part of this route. They were all over the place, and it seemed like he was trying to make it difficult, in the story, to know where they had travelled.

From Kynuna you can travel down the Dick's Creek road(past Combo Waterhole) to Winton-Boulia bitumen, turn left over Wokingham Creek, then turn right down the Diamantina River road. This runs down the River on eastern side to about Davenport Downs, (via Old Cork and Diamantina Lakes NP) where one road travels on through Palparara, and the other goes down to Monkira Station. Both these hit the Windorah-Bedourie road. An alternative to the above is to go from Kynuna, through Kynuna Station, Ranges Valley(abandoned), and come out at Middleton Pub. From there you travel down the Mackunda stock route to Old Cork, and join the Diamantina River road there.

Of course you could always go across the River at the 'Lakes, through Springvale Station, then turn left through Coorabulka, and hit Windorah-Bedourie road, SE of Cluny Station. Not far to Bedourie, or a good drive is down the Lake Machattie(spelling?) Bypass, to Birdsville.

If you've got to the Windorah-Bedourie road okay, and haven't run out of fuel, beer or food, then proceed toward Windorah a few clicks, then turn right down the Mooraberrie road, which passes this station, and comes out at Betoota. Then it's just a few hours down the road to see Ruth & Ian, and have a beer at the Pub!

Travel times are up to you, but you can go from Kynuna to Birdsville in a day, but you wouldn't see much. Roads are fair to good, at moment, but heaps of road trains on some, will powder up parts of road surface, and increase travel times. But that's what you've got the 4by for, isn't it?

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 108041

Follow Up By: Allan - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 07:07

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 07:07
thanks bob, just what I was looking for
Allan
FollowupID: 364997

Sponsored Links