GQ Alternator bites the dust/corner country trip

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 15:38
ThreadID: 22326 Views:3885 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
After 8 days of touring the great corner country the alternator let go 250kms from home last night.Anyone know what i should expect tp pay for a changeover? Its for an 89 TB42. Anyway we had a great time abd did just over 3000kms. We drove from adelaide to silverton.....up the dog fence to Milparinka,on to Tibooburra,Camerons corner,Noccundra,Eulo,Hungerford,Bourke,Louth,Tilpa,Wilcannia and home. weather was great but boy they need some rain up there.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bilbo - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 15:48

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 15:48
Brew,

I had a similar experience in Mt Magnet, WA. You'll prolly find all that's worn is the alternator brushes. That's about 45 minutes work fer an auto leccy.

We couldn't find any Nissan GQ brushes in Mt Magnet, so we cut down some Toyota brushes and they did the job just fine. Still going strong 35,000 kms later.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 108008

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 16:02

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 16:02
I am pretty sure the bearings let go so a changeover may be needed,thanks brew
FollowupID: 364847

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 16:34

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 16:34
Auto or manual?

If its auto, Prepare to mortage the house.

Mine let go on the way back from the Murray Sunset Freeway Gathering, $140 for a set of brushes and a night at Diamonds place.

While at it, go with a bigger one! More amp output. Search for a post by AWILL4x4 on them, he got a new upgraded one from Qld, that was heaps more amps for not much more.

I think they were around $300-400.. dont quote me on that,
AnswerID: 108011

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 16:43

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 16:43
Well I got the alternator today air freighted from Auto Electrics Australia for my TB42E efi GQ patrol. quick shipment, left yesterday got it today just before lunch.
It's an Hitachi 90 amp instead of the factory 70 amp one. (model No ALT190704) says on box suitable for petrols & diesels and also VG30E V6 motors.
The dimensions are pretty close to original and the plug is the same but rotated around the body a little more. There are some problems to be aware of though.
The bolt holes are only 8mm compared to original 10mm so these need to be drilled out to suit.
The bigger problem is that it comes with a pulley to suit a serpentine belt rather than the twin V belt pulley. I went to swap pulleys but the original pulley needs to be machined as the snout on the new alternator is smaller than the original one so the boss at the rear of the pulley had to be reduced from approx 26mm to just under 24mm to fit the smaller snout.
Another problem with the pulley was that it protruded further forward than the original one by approx 4mm, this would then make the belts run out of line so I had to machine the boss at the rear 4mm to push it in closer to the alternator to put the belts in line.
In doing this it leaves very little room for clearance around the snout and pulley so I machined out the pulley again to gain adequate clearance.
Luckily I work in a fabrication shop so have access to lathes etc but for anyone else considering this model number the pulley problems have to be addressed. In the end I got it fitted tonight, the belts are running true and the alternator is charging as it should.
I'll give the guys at Auto Electrics Australia a ring tomorrow and explain the problems I encountered, they may not realise a problem with the pulley and bolt holes exist.
It ended up costing me $247.50 delivered air freight to my door and considering a local auto elec came back with a quote to supply only for $455 I'm well pleased that I came out in front.
I'll post this in the GQ bible section for future reference as well.
Regards Andrew.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FollowupID: 364851

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 16:44

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 16:44
I think I must have either run over a chinaman or broken a mirror. Lately my 92 Efi GQ has had a front end rebuild back to swivel hubs, new brakes front and rear, I've got new rear wheel bearings to replace my slightly rumbling ones, It had a gutful of bad LPG last week clogging up the convertor and mixer and today the alternator decided to give up the ghost.
Went to a local auto elec and he quoted me $380 to put in a 60amp bosch one instead of current 70amp Hitachi. Another local auto elec wasn't able to give me a price as his supplier was closed but insisted that the Hitachi one was a better option and at least he was able to give me a part no for both 70amps and 90amp versions.

I rememer Bazzle telling us about the company in Qld called Auto Electrics Australia so did a quick search and found their phone no and gave them a call.

End result a 90 amp Hitachi unit for GQ's priced at $247.50 total price air freighted to Melbourne 1st thing Monday morning.

Now I just have to find a way to get to work on Monday and hope it doesn't arrive via Zimbabwe airlines.

Regards Andrew.
FollowupID: 364852

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 17:27

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 17:27
Yes its an auto.....how does it differ? Mine is the 50amp Hitachi. Both the Gregorys manual and the books for the car state the same alternator. Thanks for pasting the post.
FollowupID: 364857

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 20:02

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 20:02
auto has vaccum pump on it, somewhere like $600.00
FollowupID: 364867

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 18:19

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 18:19
Only diesel alt has the vacuum pump on it. I am changing over to a Bosch 80amp unit for $220. Only needs minor wiring mod.
FollowupID: 365061

Reply By: techie - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 00:08

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 00:08
Can one not obtain replacement bearings from CBC and have them fitted?
AnswerID: 108046

Sponsored Links