Camping/fishing Birdsville nth and east

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 21:21
ThreadID: 22338 Views:7407 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We intend to go from CQ to Winton, Boulia, Birdsville, Charleville, Roma, Carnarvon and then back home. There will be two vehicles one with a camper trailer and one with a Jayco outback caravan. We are interested in finding any free or cheap camping areas on river banks where we can do some freshwater fishing and can use a generator during the day for battery charging. We would be interested in other camping spots as well. On the subject of fishing what bait is used in freshwater as we are only saltwater fishmen.
Of the above places with the exception of Winton and Boulia can you get good drinking water at them so we would like to know drinking water we will have to carry. We had a bad experience in a CP in Normanton where they had artesian bore water on tap, not very nice to drink.
We will be staying at the Birdsville Caravan Park.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 21:50

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 21:50
Meggs,

Old Cork waterhole, for fish and good drinking water. Winton is good water too, just don't smell it.

Waterholes at Diamantina Lakes might spring a fish or two. Drink it too.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 108042

Follow Up By: Member - Meggs - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:53

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:53
Thanks Bob I was looking at Diamantina lakes as you gave a pretty good report on another post. One of the questions as we will be towing a van what would be the best road in from the Winton to Boulia road as from looking at my map there are 7 roads that leave the Winton Boulia road and end up at Diamantina Lakes. As this area is a National Park I had some concern about using a generator even though is will be used in daylight to charge batteries.
Thanks
FollowupID: 364883

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 13:28

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 13:28
Meggs,

Jundah road out of Winton might be best, best maintained, but also most used by all vehicles, including roadtrains. Call into Lark Quarry to see dinosaur tracks, then down to Old Cork, easily done in a day. Another easy day to D'lakes NP(130 k)

Hooroo..
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 364909

Follow Up By: Member - Meggs - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 19:34

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 19:34
Thanks Bob. When I was out there last year thay made out that you need two spare types and a repair kit to get to Lark Quarry but this was from the CP at Winton, I suspect they were getting a spotters fee for tourist using the tour operators. We will see if we can go to Old Cork but it will depend on the fly population as in 2003 they were wall to wall flies in that area.
Is there any part of the road from Winton via Old Cork to Diamantina lakes and on to Boulia that would give a outback poptop caravan any grief other than dust and corrugations?
FollowupID: 364933

Reply By: kesh - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 07:46

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 07:46
If you post a more complete itinery (where starting, what directions taking) I could give you a list of a few spots.
the kesh
AnswerID: 108061

Follow Up By: Member - Meggs - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:59

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:59
Kesh our itinerary is pretty rubbery but essentially we will be leaving Gladstone travelling anticlockwise through the towns listed. I didn't include all the towns as I assumed that those who were familiar with the area would be able to join up the towns and know what roads we will be using.
We will be leaving about mid May back mid June
FollowupID: 364884

Reply By: kesh - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:40

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:40
G'day Meggs. Starting at Winton, about 50k. (Boulia Rd.) turn off to the Conn Hole. Small camp spot, take wood in with you. Dont forget to have a beer at Middleton, get some local info too. Anywhere there is water in the Diamantina will be fish!.
Good fishing around Bedourie, once again the locals will give info (pub).
Coming back from Birdsville/ Windorah you will again cross the Diam. Bob Y has noted the way up to the N/Park. If time permits go up to Jundah on the Thomson or the Retreat rd. to where the Barcoo crosses.
About half way to Quilpie turn right at Thylungra which takes you to Eromanga. You will cross the Kyabra water hole which is good fishing. (and camping)
Call in at the Royal and have a drink with Ashley and Ana (say c.haze sent you!)
At Quilpie the first tracks going out before the bridge take you on to good fishing holes, also look at lake Houdraman.
About 25k. Before Charleville turn left over the Ward r. bridge. good camp spots and the first cod going east.
There is a reasonable spot about 5k. before Mitchell.(fishermans rest)
Dont forget to take the yabby traps, have a great trip.
cheers the kesh

AnswerID: 108074

Follow Up By: Member - Meggs - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 19:36

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 19:36
Thanks Kesh with the info you and Bob have given I think we will not be short of waterholes to visit, I am just hoping the fly population has suffered a terminal disease when we are there.
FollowupID: 364934

Sponsored Links