shower tent

Submitted: Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:01
ThreadID: 22352 Views:8220 Replies:19 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi fellow campers, after many attempts I have decided to call on your experience for help. We were given a shower tent, one of those that self erect. It works perfectly and we appreciated the use of it last week whilst camping at Heat Head NP. Now we have the problem of not being able to pack it away - honestly we have twisted and pushed and fought with it for ages. It didn't come with any instructions but we did have a quick demo, something which we are unable to replicate. Any suggestions would be greatly apprectiated before we go nuts.
thanks, Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dangerous - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:08

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:08
Hi there,

We were in the same situation as yourselves. We took one camping a few times and yes, it is a good giggle and party trick to take camping and challenge your co-campers into folding it away. We ended up tying if off with a rope to get it back in the car. Until our last trip, as we were driving off Straddie, we dumped into one of the industrial bins.

If has a green outer with silver lining that is supposed to fold into a circle, throw it away now. Don't waste anymore energy on it.

Good luck old mate.
AnswerID: 108099

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:17

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:17
Okay, you have to become one with the tent.................

Or, you can do this............

After you've folded up the 4 sides, stand it up, so the bottom is on the ground, and the top is upright. stand behind it, and lean over onto it, with your hands half way down the sides. The idea is to have the whole tent ARC OVER, so that as the top touches the bottom, the sides will want to start to form the ever elusive figure eight. It all just starts to snap into position after that.

Really, it's so easy watching Tracy do it............... every time...........

Wolfie
AnswerID: 108100

Reply By: locallaw - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:19

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:19
Gidday,They are very simple to fold up but to try and explain on this site would be impossible.Take it to camping shop and you will be folding it up in a few minutes.I own one and would not be without it.
Just my bit,
Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 108101

Reply By: chrisanddon - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:33

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:33
Thank you for your replies, don & I have just been outside trying again, we are beginning to think the industrial bin is our best option...........
AnswerID: 108103

Follow Up By: timber - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:41

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:41
Once you get it it is really simple, so easy a child can do it. Suggest you get one of the kids/grand kids to show you how.

Just spent the weekend away with the Club and two couples were using their shower tents for the first time, a few giggles and a bit of head banging but they eventually got it.

cheers

Buggerlux

PS the instructions for mine are on a flap inside the storage bag.
FollowupID: 364929

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:53

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:53
Hiya

We've got one too, and it doesn't fold down either, I've tried all sorts of methods, I even packed it away kind of folded up, and packed it in the trailer strategicly, however, it became a bit like a jack in the box, and if you moved the wrong item first, it exploded...hahahahha....now we lay it on the one of the beds in the trailer, and pack it away flat....

cheers

Lyn
AnswerID: 108106

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 19:35

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 19:35
Until last week mine was destined to never be packed away in the original bag but guess what????woooooooohhooooooooo i am an expert at it. Can't explain how to do it but its so easy and now i can laugh at the strugglers lol. Actually pesty showed me lol Good luck and i suggest u go back to place of purchase for a demo. Mine is the $25 cheap as chips version.
AnswerID: 108113

Reply By: darcla - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 20:20

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 20:20
Hi chrisandon , Why on earth do you need a shower tent , a rope over the limb of a tree is sufficient to pull your shower up high enough to get under & a rubber mat underfoot is sufficient .Every body has the same bits & pieces whats the big deal . You walk around your camp area in the morning & just see how many showers are haning off trees .
Cheers Bungarra
AnswerID: 108116

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 20:40

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 20:40
You'er right Bungarra ! Everybody dos'e have the same bits and pieces , It's just that thay come in different size's . And no , i'm not braging . LOL Errol
FollowupID: 364943

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 20:52

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 20:52
Spend a while on Cable Beach and you'll see all shapes and sizes, from 6 to 60. After a while they're just people....well most of them.
I remember one young lady doing yoga..but she was showing off....mind you everyone within 500m clapped when she'd finished.

I still rekkon if you need a shower tent then you haven't travelled far enough from civilization :))
FollowupID: 364946

Follow Up By: Lyds - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:16

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:16
As you travel around the top end you tend to see more than you may want to. Something to do with warmer weather and Europeans; and they tend to travel in Britz type campervans.

FollowupID: 364961

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 12:00

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 12:00
Lyds, I quite understand. I suggest that they should also be folded up and sent back to the rental company:)
FollowupID: 365031

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 20:25

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 20:25
On our first trip with the shower tent we tried countless times to fold it up, and then ran like hell when it exploded back into shape, it was funny and frustrating at the same time, best thing to do is walk away for a while and have another shot. Wolfie explained it pretty well tho, keep trying and when you get it once you'll be laughing...till you go away the next time and can't remember how you did it again.
AnswerID: 108117

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:22

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:22
We have one and have used it for a while and we can fold it without too much trouble but once something happened to those inside bits and the bugger of a thing wouldn't fold up and after about an hour of fighting it suddenly did it. Those ? metal bits must twist or something.
With ours you start with it standing up and have the sides against each other so it is flat. You grab the top and bring it down to the bottom and you have to hold them together and then turn it on the side so that the loop that was on your left is now on top and the loop that was on your right is now on the bottom. You grab the top loop and have to twist it tighter so that it curls up on itself.
Now just get out there and do it. It's like making babies.
Andrew

P.S. - Like making babies sleep - difficult
AnswerID: 108131

Reply By: thomjor - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:52

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:52
We have had the same experience with a shower tent & eventually threw away the instructions & found that by standing it up facing you,hold it firmly by placing one foot on tHe bottom, Grab the top with both hands & twist it like a corkscrew. It fold very easily down onto its self.Ours is a cheap as version
AnswerID: 108142

Reply By: Midge - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:54

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:54
The only answer is, like me you bought the wrong one. I got mine from Rays Outdoors we gave up trying to fold it so now store it open on the camper bed in a plastic cover, serves as a cover for the bed as well. The better ones Smartshade and another brand I can't remember practically fold themselves up.
AnswerID: 108154

Reply By: Pilbara Wayne - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 00:18

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 00:18
Had one of these too.

Best thing that ever happened was when I couldnt fold it up, so I chucked it on the roof. It flew off the roofrack. Big question as to whether or not I should stop and pick it up. I did stop and get it because I didnt want to add any more junk to the roadside.

Now I find it useful for laying on the ground and crawling under the vehicle. Saves getting the shirt dirty.

Mine actually made me hate using it. Now I just wait until its dark and shower at will. Dont have to worry about anyone else... they're usually a long way off, oh except the missus. For her I turn on the headlights, helps her see what she's doing. :-)

Best of luck with the damn thing.

Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 108170

Reply By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 07:58

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 07:58
sounds like a variation of a rubik's cube!
AnswerID: 108183

Reply By: Member - big bo (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:04

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:04
I looked at the OZ-TRAIL tents, the fold up one and the one with metal stands on the outside, choose the metal stand one. it might take me 3 minutes to set up but by the time you try and fold up the spring version I have mine down and packed away. Anyhow I think the metal stand version is stronger and the price is about the same. Mum loves it and it doubles as a toilet enclosure as well. Mind you it took me no time to fold up the spring version in the shop.
Love that shower.
AnswerID: 108212

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 12:43

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 12:43
Got the same one after looking at the spring version. Very quick and easy to put away although obviously it takes a little longer to set-up. But definitely stronger.

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 365033

Follow Up By: flappa - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 13:11

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 13:11
I've got one of the spring ones , but I'm looking at buying one of the Double "ensuite" shower tents.
FollowupID: 365034

Reply By: Penguin (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 13:45

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 13:45
Hi Chris

I must admit that they are a "challenge" to fold sometimes, as I found out again yesterday.

Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby can give you a demo.
AnswerID: 108243

Reply By: brett - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 19:55

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 19:55
HAve a look at the Coleman with the insta-set poles, goes up in about 30 seconds, just click the 4 poles into place, and unlick them to pull it down.
AnswerID: 108293

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:03

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:03
Mate!!!!

You just gotta start with the left arm over the right arm and then bring em together and whalla. Yea it is hard to explain isn't it.

I must have an expensive and cooperative version....the instructions are printed on a material backing and sown to the tent edge....cannot lose it:-)
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 108334

Reply By: ferris - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:04

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:04
I had to laugh at your post, as it is a case of de-ja-vu. Eventually we took it back to Rays and the salesman gave us another demo. When we bought it, he said we'd be back for help. Reckons he hadn't sold one that didn't come back. They are great tents, just a real bugger to fold up until you learn the correct technique. One thing we found was they like to fold one particular way, so we labelled each side with a texta and now only fold the tent from that one side - if that makes any sense. By the way, they are a great party trick, pull it out of it's bag and watch people swear and curse trying to put it back.
Good luck
Ferris
AnswerID: 108335

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:51

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:51
geez i feel left out of the fun with my outback canvas shower/dunny tent, its a beautiful canvas self supporting job that takes about 2 minutes and 4 pegs and will actually stand up in real strong winds.. :-))))))

Having a chuckle picturing the exploding tents leaping out of vehicles etc...
AnswerID: 108717

Sponsored Links