Life's a Bitch!

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 23:16
ThreadID: 22400 Views:2453 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Then you get over it...........eventually.

Went and experienced Skytrek over the Anzac weekend.
Set up camp, then downloaded the track recorded on my Meridian Platinum bleepy thing to the Laptop. Noticed the track included the last couple of trips I had done (and so I thought, erased) so I checked through the menu options and found a couple which said something like; erase track & erase all. So, Sand Man thinks to himself, already tried erasing track - Let's select erase all.
The next day, we take off on the Skytrek trip and get to the starting point.
Sand Man turns on his GPS to record the trek, only to be informed he had erased the bleeping lot and the GPS needed a full re-initialisation.
Well after chucking a fruity and then asking his fellow travelers if they had some Valium tablets, Sand Man decides to forget the bleeping GPS and enjoy the experience.
Well about two thirds of the way around, one is informed to engage 4WD LOW and proceed. Some time later we came to a steepish section with a hump about half way up. Well, Sand Man takes off and reaches the hump and goes no further.
After trying again, then chucking a fruity, then having another Valium, Sand Man decides to count to 50. then re-access the situation.
Embarrassment. One has to place the Auto selector in Neutral or Park before one can engage the front transfer case.
Well, the next attempt and Jack just easily cruises up the track without any further ado. Sand Man smiled, got his act together and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the trek. In fact, the rest of the weekend.

Now he just has to re-initialise the bleeping GPS again........@%#$^#*.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 23:20

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 23:20
"Well, Sand Man takes off and reaches the hump and goes no further. "

Got me too, the bugger....

Had to really give it heaps for some reason, and the Delica was bucking around a bit.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 108355

Reply By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 00:15

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 00:15
Sandman

Yours a diesel? (mine is) if so how did you go with the rocks and the bugger of a transfer case guard? many bumps or scrapings??

D-Jack
AnswerID: 108365

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 00:41

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 00:41
Funny you should say that. Just heard the story of the doctor who bought a brand spanking new GQ patrol with all the fruit (obviously happenned a while ago), drives to broome for a holiday, gets out on to cable beach, no worries, but when it gets a bit boggy, gets out, turns the free wheel hub on the drivers side, and proceeds further up the beach. Tries to turn around on beach, gets bogged, tries to get unstuck but gets more bogged, 4 hours later watches new patrol floating 100m from where he is standing.

DOH !!!

I did a similar thing at a beach camp once, but luckily for me, no water for 800 yards and no witnesses. te he. Quickly worked out what was going on after panicking that my trusty 60 series was not as good as it should be !!
AnswerID: 108370

Reply By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 07:53

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 07:53
you all need a Constant 4WD....oh what a feeling!
AnswerID: 108385

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:23

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:23
dead right!
Theres nothing like watching mates jump out of their cars, walk thru mud or get attacked by shrubs as they lock their hubs in-Meanwhile you just press a button on the dash.
A small price to pay for not being able to do doughnuts on salt lakes.

FollowupID: 365145

Follow Up By: Member - T-Bone (ACT) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:41

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:41
Press a button? Lock hubs? What are you all talking about?

Tongue-in-cheek-T-Bone. :)
FollowupID: 365147

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:06

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:06
Exactly T Bone....what is Ben Spoon about...press a button to lock hubs?

The only button i have is for centre diff lock....
Oh what A feeling!
FollowupID: 365149

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:15

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:15
I dont have to get out of my car to make my bus 4wd- Theres no hubs to lock.
I hit a dash button and thats it.

FollowupID: 365152

Follow Up By: Member - T-Bone (ACT) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 15:52

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 15:52
Don't even need a button for the Rangie - just high range / low range, with a centre viscous-coupled diff... Besides, if I had a diff lock button, it'd just be one more thing that could go wrong!

T-Bone.
FollowupID: 365178

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 17:13

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 17:13
I can't remember the bump lol, i probably had my eyes closed on that section. So what did you think Bill? Worth the drive? We loved it.
AnswerID: 108437

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 18:18

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 18:18
Yes, definitely worth the drive and we loved it. Besides the actual "challenge" of the drive, the views at times were breathtaking.

I want to go back and do it again, preferably in the wetter season so there is some water in the creek beds. (and to record the Trek with the bleepy GPS)

Maybe one or two points worth mentioning:-

Wolfie has mentioned in an earlier post how the Track was "as hard as he would like". Knowing the Delica has a little less ground clearance than the Jack, I know what Ian is referring to.

Willem had mentioned in reply to Wolfie in the same post, how Skytrek was a doddle. Well I think Willem may be exaggerating a little, but it is certainly doable in a standard 4BY with reasonable clearance.

D-Jack,
No mine's a 3.5 litre petrol. Only one or two minor scrapes underneath. Certainly nothing to worry about, but I judge the size of the object I am about to pass over and lower the speed accordingly.
Sometimes I straddle the object.
Sometimes I place one wheel directly over it.
Sometimes I get the sledgehammer out and give it a smack:-))

I think the rating given in the Treknotes section is an accurate rating of "difficulty"
for a standard 4WD.

Recommend it to everyone.
Bill

AnswerID: 108442

Reply By: TheUndertaker - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 18:24

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 18:24
And the original was ' Lifes a bitch ,,,, and then you marry one "
AnswerID: 108443

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 18:32

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 18:32
"One has to place the Auto selector in Neutral or Park before one can engage the front transfer case."

you had never used it before?
AnswerID: 108445

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:29

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:29
More times than I can count Truckster.

But I must have still been in a grey fog over the bleepy GPS.....$&^$%#*
(Well that's my excuse anyway)

Geez, now you've got me all fired up again.....think I'll go and have a Red or two........and start planning our next excursion:-)))
Bill

FollowupID: 365243

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:52

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:52
You are all doing it the hard way.

Just lock the hubs before you leave home (Melb)

Turn on the compressor(in Melb if that floats your boat) its just a leetle switch.

When you get to Sky Trek or where ever, you are already setup.

Just flick the little lever next to the big one when you need to, and/or hit the locker/s switch if its warranted and it is a breeze.

Oh! and giving the 'hairdryer' a nudge is the icing on the cake.

Then again, it also helps if you have it all a Troopy called 'Lucy'.

Yep! Skytrek is a nice experience, however there is a similar style one on a station east of Blinman that has a couple of spots that tests one intestinal fortitude to say the least.

As for the GPS, I gave up recording tracks that were already mapped as a waste of time. Just use it to find out exactly where I am on the map.

However Sand Man it sounds like you had a great time and thats what it is all about.

Just wish I could have seen your face when you wiped the GPS memory.

Have a good one all

AnswerID: 108479

Sponsored Links