Finding the way through the Megalong Valley & Cox's River, Blue Mountains

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2246 Views:5912 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I've seen some photos of the Megalong Valley, and the Cox's River, in the Blue Mountains region of NSW and it looks stunning. I can't find any info on tracks and how to get there etc. Does anyone have any information on these?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00
An excellent location that I frequent.
If you follow the road into the Megalong Valley you will eventually cross a cement causeway. Just after this there is a carpark, and you can pick up the 6ft track down to the Coxs R. I have not do this one though. We go all the way to the end of the valley, through Carlons Farm (Packsaddlers), and up to the T intersection at the end. Park up to the left. From here there are 2 ways down to Coxs River. The first way you follow the signs (take the map though!) down Carlons Ck and watch the stinging nettles, into Breakfast Ck which is rocks and slippery in some spots, down to Coxs River. When you are in the valley look out for the Black snakes, there are millions of them and they don't always move. I recall being in the water once watching one hunt around the side of the river which was so interesting. Well, when the snake came in with us the boys JCed it out of there!. At this junction of Breakfast/Cox there is a small beach about 50m upstream which is sooooo comfortable to camp on. Don't tell anybody about this spot though! The other way down is again from Packsaddlers T intersection and head right towards Mt Ironpot and follow that road to the end where it will turn into a labarynth of horse trails. These trails will take you down to the Coxs R at Flaggie Clear a few Km's upstream of Jenolan Ck. Just up Jenolan Ck a few hundred meters is also a fantastic (secret) camping area. Again, watch the Black snakes. To go down from Packsaddlers is a days walk, as is the harder walk out, so take your maps, water and camping gear. I'm not sure about the 6ft track, this may be easier and quicker though, but it is a great area. Regards Slunnie
AnswerID: 7993

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00

The 1:25000 map is called Jenolan for that area.
FollowupID: 3744

Follow Up By: Plexus - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00

OK thanks, but one more question: how do I get to the road that leads into the valley?
FollowupID: 3748

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00

If you are coming from Sydney, you follow the Great Western Highway west over the Blue Mountains past Katoomba until you get to Blackheath. At Blackheath you will turn left at some traffic lights over a level crossing signposted Megalong Valley), and then turn left immediately again. Follow this a very short distance where you will turn right, and should be signposted to the Megalong Valley. You follow this road down for a few kilometers, but look out as there will be a big sign indicating to turn left into the Megalong Valley. If you are watching you wont miss it. The road you have then just turned left onto is the track that winds down to and along the Megalong Valley. There is plenty of horse riding down there also. The valley is quite long and the road dangerous in some spots. Regards Slunnie
FollowupID: 3750

Follow Up By: Plexus - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00
OK thanks for that. Ummm.... define "dangerous". Is it possible to go all the way through via 4WD or is it a case of having to stop somewhere and getting to places like picnic/camping grounds by foot?
FollowupID: 3758

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

The road is narrow and windy in some spots with blind corners. Thats all. Just speaking to another fellow at work here. He was saying it is about 1.5kms to the Coxs River from the carpark at the causeway. If you go that way it should be fairly straight forward, though no doubt steepish.

Regards
Slunnie
FollowupID: 3765

Follow Up By: Plexus - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

OK thanks for the info. I've just purchased the Jenolan map, and also bought the TopoView CD software, so hey, I'm getting serious now. I get the funny feeling a GPS will accidentally install itself onto the dash of my LandCruiser next week. Odd how that sort of thing happens.
FollowupID: 3767

Reply By: Bob Y. - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00
Plexus, Spent a lot of time in Megalong over the years, my first job on leaving school was with the late Bert Carlon, when he was starting Packsaddlers. You've been given pretty accurate directions down to the valley. The bitumen road down there is winding, and 2 lane. I'd only class it dangerous if you didn't keep to the left, or if you kept too far left, and ran off the road!! Is a beautiful drive with tall timber, tree ferns and sandstone craggs looming above you. There's a number of places you can get down to Cox R. but think some of them may be on private property. It's a magic place, with a lot of memories for me. The Cox has changed over the years, think a lot of it is overgrown with blackberries. More memories there too....Enjoy!
AnswerID: 8112

Sponsored Links